Record Dow! Whee!

Incorrect my trollish friend...down .09%.

Never said I dont believe in tips. I dont believe they produce a 'real' rate of return, and at the current yields they're a lousy investment.

Oh thats right, you're the guy that bought 'a truckload' at a yield much lower than it is today!

Attachments

• tips.JPG
    tips.JPG
    25.6 KB · Views: 14
Hmm, VIPSX is down, but my individual TIPS are up (and so is the TIP ETF). Looks like only maturities < 10 years went up today. The real yield has gotten pretty low recently. I wouldn't be a buyer right now, but it's nice to have something go up today. :)

The real yield has gotten pretty low recently. I wouldn't be a buyer right now, but it's nice to have something go up today. :)

My memory is that many of us here who use a good portion of TIPS bought in or increased holdings last winter when the real yield was up around 2.75%. These are showing some appreciation now.

Ha

So much for diversity. Everything I own went down except the money market account and the cd's... ::)

The only asset classes that were up for me today were gold, global bonds and bear market funds. U.S. Bonds and money market funds were flat. Everything else got killed. Biggest dive of the day: 5% for company stock (on the positive side, my company's 401K match used to be 12 shares per month, it's now 52 shares...).

Looking at futures, tomorrow looks rough too...

My market neutral fund, HSGFX, was up better than 1% today. I'm a big believer in market neutral/long-short funds for days and/or periods like this.
A nice added diversification other than just slicing/dicing equity markets. I don't have the balls to actually go short - that would guarantee a 20% return on the major indexes, but I am willing to let someone who **hopefully** knows more than I do place some appropriate puts to protect assets on days like today...

Cramer's 10 Reasons to Be Bullish - News & Analysis - Investing - AAPL - BHP

Cramer does a very good job of stating the bull case right now for anyone needing a reason to not worry about the market falling.
To me the contrarian argument is the best. As Warren Buffett once said, "be greedy when people are fearful."

The more bearish sentiment there is, the more cash there is on the sidelines, and the more short positions are established (which must eventually be covered). All it takes is a little turn to the upside to get the cash back into the game, and then the shorts panic, get squeezed and pop the market higher.

It's when everyone's a raging bull that I get the most nervous.

"1. The stock market is cheap. Most of the stocks I follow are in low or mid-teen multiples or at a price-to-earnings ratio vs. high growth rate that I regard as being just flat-out cheap, particularly when you consider a 4% 10-year Treasury. Retail at 10 times earnings? Lots of high-growth tech stocks at mid-teen multiples? It makes no sense to me."

"Stocks extended their losses Thursday after Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke warned he expects a raft of economic troubles will cause business growth to slow"

Someone needs to remind Jim that the "E" part isnt guaranteed to keep growing at the same rate that it has been recently. That might explain why the "P" part looks cheap.

Cramer was pretty bullish in 2001 too. In fact, Cramer is bullish all the time. Hmm, every time I wrote "bullish" my fingers wanted to type "bullshit"... :(

Last edited:
If nothing else, the degrading market is doing one thing for me: it's helping me "beat the market" because of my holdings in bonds, cash and gold stocks. Of course, I'm still falling quite a bit, but not as much as Mister Market is overall...

As little as two weeks ago, my portfolio was losing to the S&P 500 by 2.5% (I've beaten it every year since 2001). Now I'm only trailing it by 0.48%.

If this keeps up, my streak may remain intact at the end of the year. Plus, I'm looking to put my mom's IRA back into the market and I'm seeing better and better entry points for DCAing some of it back in. I'm trying to see this half full Even if I did have to push my FIRE clock back one minute. :)

Got a big raise effective this pay period, today is the day the 401k money buys into the market, so hey, I got to buy in on a sale! :p

Got a big raise effective this pay period, today is the day the 401k money buys into the market, so hey, I got to buy in on a sale! :p
That seems to be the opposite of my luck. We get paid on the 15th and the last of the month, and our contribution seems to go in somewhat randomly anywhere from 0-4 days after.

And I'lll be darned if the day the money invests isn't almost always a day when the Dow is up 200.

Sooo.... We're all happy, confident, boldly diversified buy-and-hold investors that are in this for the long haul, and nobody's concerned about today's ADDITIONAL fall, on top of the OTHER declines this week that almost brought the Dow back into the 12,000's, right? :eek:

We're all going to have a nice, relaxing, ever so peaceful and mellow long weekend and not think about the market even a teeny bit?

Good. I'll work on that. :duh:

The ERF sentiment indicator is bullish: 48% bulls vs 39% bears. But the bears are very bearish.

Well, hopefully those of us in the young dreamer category with decades to go are all calm, I certainly am. I do think if I was in withdrawal phase I'd be a little antsy, but I'd know selling now would be even dumber!

Sooo.... We're all happy, confident, boldly diversified buy-and-hold investors that are in this for the long haul, and nobody's concerned about today's ADDITIONAL fall, on top of the OTHER declines this week that almost brought the Dow back into the 12,000's, right? :eek:

We're all going to have a nice, relaxing, ever so peaceful and mellow long weekend and not think about the market even a teeny bit?

Well, this boldly diversified buy-and-hold investor who is and has been in for the long haul is certainly neither happy nor confident that we've seen the bottom of this slide.

However, in addition to my non-cola'd pension, I am very happy that I have a large bucket of cash equivalents that I anticipate I'll drain over the next four years so that I shouldn't have to sell any of my diminished portfolio for a good while.

I have between 2 and 3 years expenses in reserve that the market has no effect on. I'm old enough to draw SS and don't, so, yep, this weekend is just like any other. Backups in computers and life are important. They give you a good nights sleep.

It is an interesting time to be watching the markets.
My biggest fear is that Citibank will cut it's dividend.
My second biggest fear is that I don't buy more Citibank while the dividend is 6.5% ;)

I consider myself diversified and have 7 years worth of expenses covered in cd's/cash, but it ain't easy watching this crap. :mad:

Since I'm still able to pay all the bills with dividends and interest, I dont care a whole lot about market movements. Although I wish it'd go down 30% or so. I have an extra $50k I want to invest and I dont see anything I like yet.

That no-debt thing really pays off at times like this.

I don't know if I would say that I am happy but I actually did some buying yesterday. Even after today's fall I am quite unphased. Do I believe that the DOW has a good chance to reach 14,000 again in the next 10-15 years? You betcha. I am quite certain I will not lose a penny on the money I invested yesterday. Sure it is unnerving to see all those down days in a row. But I am quite confident that over the long term, this week's events will be forgetable. Well at least that's what I keep telling myself... As for this week end, I'll make sure to keep melow with some football and some beer.

Back
Top Bottom