Join Early Retirement Today

SEPP 72(t) - took out too much ($12)
Old 08-09-2019, 01:44 PM   #1
Confused about dryer sheets

SEPP 72(t) - took out too much ($12)

Somehow I withdrew $12 too much (1/10th of 1%) from one of my IRAs using 72(t) SEPP rule. Too late to change. First year to do this.

1. I could call it a non-SEPP early withdrawal this year and pay a penalty, start again next year.
2. Keep taking out same amount, $12 error each year
3. Use correct withdrawal for the next 4 years I plan to be under the plan.

I'm took out the max I can take out at the max interest rate (3.69%). And a couple of weeks too late to correct the error with the custodian...for those two withdrawals

I can call the IRS, but wondering what best plan of action beyond this.

nomid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2019, 02:04 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Forget it happened. Do not wake sleeping bears.

OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #3

Here's a Q&A partial response from 72tnet.com: "the excess of what is the correct distribution can be rolled back into the IRA if there has not been a prior rollover in the past 12 months (only one is allowed in a 12 month period). A 72t distribution cannot be rolled over, but amounts in excess of the proper distribution can be. If the larger distribution still falls short of the annual amount, then just keep it and reduce the remainder of the distributions so that the annual total is correct.
2014-01-08 00:28, By: Alan S, IP: [24.116.67.233]"
Old 08-09-2019, 02:16 PM   #4

My understanding is that if you exceeded the allowed distribution amount when doing a 72t the IRS would penalize you on the entire amount distributed up to that point, not just the excess amount. If that's the case you will definitely want to correct the error ASAP.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
No error - had to understand methodogy
Old 08-15-2019, 08:12 PM   #5
Confused about dryer sheets

No error - had to understand methodogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomid1 View Post
Somehow I withdrew $12 too much (1/10th of 1%) from one of my IRAs using 72(t) SEPP rule. Too late to change. First year to do this.

1. I could call it a non-SEPP early withdrawal this year and pay a penalty, start again next year.
2. Keep taking out same amount, $12 error each year
3. Use correct withdrawal for the next 4 years I plan to be under the plan.

I'm took out the max I can take out at the max interest rate (3.69%). And a couple of weeks too late to correct the error with the custodian...for those two withdrawals

I can call the IRS, but wondering what best plan of action beyond this.

I discovered no error. Spent a day looking through Account Balance methodology for withdrawals. Also, opened up a couple of dozen of Google Spreadsheet versions to find out what I did.

The methodology and balance were correct. Once I found out what I did, as I did have my #s documented.

I used an average of end of year balance and first withdrawal to get the calculated balance for calculating withdrawals. All good.
nomid1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
72t, error, sepp, withdrawawal