Spouse has hers and I have mine

Its all ours, except the joint things are mine, the things in my name are mine, and the things in his name are mine. I find it very equitable. :)

Lol!! I like that and I think most are in that same category.

Everything fully joint except 401k/IRA and oddly enough even those are really close in value. I manage all investments and budgeting. She does all the spending :)

So, my question is when you calculate your portfolio do you include your spouses numbers also, or do you just use your numbers and percentages when you are discussing topic here? Some have answered that question some have not.

For the purposes of "do I have enough" the question is "do we have enough" therefore I use our numbers in terms of NW and firecalc and the like.

When we married we had no assets, only each other. Since then everything has been and continues to be jointly held.

We have IRA and HSA accounts that are individual, by requirement but not choice. In total they account for <3% of our total financial assets. In my mind they also are joint assets.

Same here, except at this point our joint accounts are perhaps 2-3% of the total assets. Even the I bonds held at TreasuryDirect are in our individual names.

I have power of attorney over my wife's accounts, because she is not interested in the investment process. I just tell her what the Quicken bottom number is at the end of the day for all of our investable accounts, and that's all she cares to know. My wife however takes care of paying all our bills.

We do have a couple of individual credit cards, but use them seldom. And my wife takes care of paying them off at the end of the month too.

So, my question is when you calculate your portfolio do you include your spouses numbers also, or do you just use your numbers and percentages when you are discussing topic here? Some have answered that question some have not.

When I quite numbers here it is all of our money together

Always joint, since I intend to outlive her and I am her sole beneficiary.

As mentioned, retirement accounts are in individual names, but we consider everything to be ours. I’m a bit amused when I hear people talk about his and her money. With the exception of those with a formal agreement, it’s like they don’t realize they’re married and that the judge will consider almost everything marital assets.
Not if either person had premarital assets or receives an inheritance, if they are not comingled during the marriage they will be considered seperate assets. This is especially relevant for marriages later in life.

Last edited:
Its all ours, except the joint things are mine, the things in my name are mine, and the things in his name are mine. I find it very equitable. :)
I know you will probably say you were joking, but it's this kind of attitude that scares guys away from marriage.

Sorry! Yes, I look at the big picture of everything combined.

On the Vanguard site I list everything outside of Vanguard as “other accounts” so that I can get the total of everything. This does not include the house.

She has her Roths and insurance products (what's the new buzz word for what I used to call SPDA's - Single Premium Deferred Annuity?) I have my Roths, 401(k) etc. Everything else is held in common and we think of everything as "ours." All of our accounts include the other as beneficiary.

Practically speaking, I let her "manage" her accounts though she runs stuff by me. When she dumped her pssst Wellesley, I bit my tongue and "let" her. I also helped her buy back in later, but that's a whole other story, so YMMV.

Would it be just as funny if a man said that everything that is mine is mine and eveything that is hers is mine?

She just injected a bit of levity into the discussion. Others took it that way. Relax ...:greetings10:

Last edited:
SO and I have been together almost 25 years. Everything is separate except the house we hold jointly. We have each other as beneficiaries on all of our major assets. We roughly split our living expenses (I pay certain bills, he pays other ones).

Wife has money from her hobby dog grooming business that she saves to defy the effects of aging. Besides that, some accounts may be in her name but I manage them.

We always pooled our money in one big pile (except IRAs obviously) but she had one credit card she used for Christmas shopping for me so I wouldn’t see the bill before December 25.

Just remember the wedding vows: “What’s mine is yours and what’s yours is yours.” :)

Last edited:
Our real estate, brokerage, CDs, treasury bills and primary savings and checking accounts are joint. Retirement accounts are separate with each other as beneficiaries. She keeps a separate checking and savings account, but I only have to ask to find out what’s in it. Her first husband was a financial mess, so it provides a little extra security for her, but we routinely talk about where our net worth stands and what changes we need to make in our overall portfolio. She has learned to trust me and decisions I’ve made over the years.

I count only my money when posting. If something is about expenses I count only my share of the expenses.

He has his, I have mine, and we don't have "ours". We are not married, and I live next door to him. Our money and finances are totally separate. This is our third decade together and this arrangement seems to work for us.

I'm not married and won't ever again. I have a SO of 12 years that is "permanent". We mix absolutely nothing financial except we own one house together. Her stuff is about equal to my stuff in total, but different components. If we got married, I could reasonably switch from "my" number to "our" number, which would be about twice as big. Just semantics though. Neither of us would allow the other go into financial hardship, but it doesn't look likely to happen at this point. She has been bugging me to get wills and POA's set up. She's retiring end of the year so that'll happen sometime next year. She'll leave her stuff to her 2 daughters and I'll leave mine to shiftless nephews and nieces. Their will be some type of trust set up to insure the survivor against contingencies. I get a little chuckle out of the idea that my nieces and nephews will find out they have to wait for her to die after I'm gone.

Back
Top Bottom