SS benefits payable to ex wife

FREE866

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I've always gotten sage advice/guidance from this board so figured I'd inquire...

My sisters ex husband died. I don't believe he started collecting SS as he was only 64.

Is she entitled to any proposed SS benefits that he had coming due?

thanks

How long were they married?

Did she remarry after the divorce, and if so, at what age?

10 years is the point. She can file. As long as she is 62 me thinks.

Yes, she should be entitled to survivors benefits if they were married for 10 years, and she did not remarry before age 60. It does not matter if he remarried.

I saw a good video on this. I'm getting sleepy, but will look for it tomorrow. Your sister should be aware of her options so as to maximize her benefits.

I know 60 is the start for survivor benes, don't know about divorced. Why don't you check?

Thank you Marie...I really appreciate your help.

and thank you to all who responded

I believe this one is it.

This one discusses maxing out the benefits when considering her benefits vs. deceased ex-spouse. You can skip to the timestamp at 45:55 for that, if you'd like.

My friend’s ex husband died and she collected survivor’s benefits at 60.

Divorced widow/widower benefits can be claimed when the survivor reaches 60 years of age, with the already noted caveats of the marriage lasting 10 years and the survivor not remarrying.

She'll probably need a copy of their marriage certificate when applying. Birth certificate and divorce decree may also be needed, not sure on that. Probably his full name and birthdate as well.

I don't know how the divorced widow/widower benefits interact with any benefit she might get on her own record, but she should look into that before deciding when to claim on the ex-husband's record and when to claim on her own. I would probably punch the particulars into opensociasecurity.com and see what it suggests. You or she will need to set the marital status to "Widow(er)" and put in the ex-husband's data to get an accurate answer.

Last edited:
Divorced widow/widower benefits can be claimed when the survivor reaches 60 years of age, with the already noted caveats of the marriage lasting 10 years and the survivor not remarrying.

She'll probably need a copy of their marriage certificate when applying. Birth certificate and divorce decree may also be needed, not sure on that. Probably his full name and birthdate as well.

I don't know how the divorced widow/widower benefits interact with any benefit she might get on her own record, but she should look into that before deciding when to claim on the ex-husband's record and when to claim on her own. I would probably punch the particulars into opensociasecurity.com and see what it suggests. You or she will need to set the marital status to "Widow(er)" and put in the ex-husband's data to get an accurate answer.

Survivor benefits have zero impact on her own benefits. She can take survivor and let her own grow to age 70. It does not reduce her own in any way regardless of when she chooses to take survivor.

SIL is going through the same thing. I recently (and surprisingly) found information on irs.gov that the age of 60, married 10 years, divorced & not remarried are the criteria. At least the way I read it...

Survivor benefits have zero impact on her own benefits. She can take survivor and let her own grow to age 70. It does not reduce her own in any way regardless of when she chooses to take survivor.

That's what I did. Widowed at 61, started Survivor benefits on DH's record, filed for my own this year at 69.

Back
Top Bottom