SS website estimate v.s. actual amount?

almost there

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So my wife and I both put in for SS to begin in March.
After that, the estimate on the website disappeared as the application*is in step 2 of 3 of the review process.
The day I submitted mine showed $2511, the bride at $831 / using the correct 33.13% of my SS
based on her actual birth date 12/61.
I called in today, out of curiosity to ask about the benefit amount/ It was calculated for me over the phone.
And was told $2482 and $806.
No idea if any of those numbers will be the actual number. Just wanted to ask what others have ran into on this.
Not complaining about $54.00 at all. Might even go the other way in the end. Who knows.*:LOL:

Last edited:
ssa.tools lets you paste in your earnings record and calculate everything with lots of great info. If you can still get to the earnings record?

It figures the estimate would be off but not in your favor.

Yep............ am thinking it must be a month early on their numbers. Who knows.

SS will look to start the month you apply. I recall reading about delaying the start by a few months, but I can't recall the procedure.

SS will look to start the month you apply. I recall reading about delaying the start by a few months, but I can't recall the procedure.

Yes, you can request the month. Up to 4 months out. There is a spot for the start date on the application.

I think thats what happened. I was given this months amount today on the phone. In march it should be the ammount shown
on the site and SSA.tools...

Last edited:
SS benefits are paid in arrears, so a March benefit is paid in April.

It's possible that the discrepancy is because of the one month difference between the month benefits start and the month benefits start being paid.

Said another way, your estimate is probably based on starting benefits in March and beginning to receive payments in April, and your application may have been to start benefits in February and begin to receive payments in March.

Starting one month earlier would reduce the amount of your benefit, possibly by the $54.

(It could also be the deductions for Medicare Part B, or delayed retirement credit weirdness, or something else.)

I was interested in the discussion here because I planned on signing in today to set up SS payments starting in April 2024 (meaning benefits start on March 1, 2024). Sadly, I can't log into the SS.gov site for my account. I get the text message security code and enter it, successfully, but then I get the message about there being an error with the website. I've seen this before. Once I do get in, I will pay attention to the "when do payments start" vs "when do benefits start" confusion.

. I get the text message security code and enter it, successfully, but then I get the message about there being an error with the website.

Sometimes various government websites will do this to you, but switching to a different browser will fix the problem. I've done that many times.

Sometimes various government websites will do this to you, but switching to a different browser will fix the problem. I've done that many times.
That's my usual fix when I have a website issue with my main browser. Funny thing, Firefox will let me enter in the username/password, along with the security code I receive on my mobile phone, before giving me the error message. OTOH, Vivaldi will give me a "Connection Timed Out" error and won't present the login screen.

So, for the menu item that states "When to Start Retirement Benefits", if I wish to receive my first SS check in April 2014, do I enter "4/2024" or "3/2024"? My assumption is 3/2024.

So, for the menu item that states "When to Start Retirement Benefits", if I wish to receive my first SS check in April 2014, do I enter "4/2024" or "3/2024"? My assumption is 3/2024.
SS benefits are paid in arrears, so a March benefit is paid in April.

Retired Minister here. SS said I had lots of "uncovered" jobs. I simply told them: "I have ALWAYS paid in." Eventually, it went to a Supervisor. Along the way, I was treated as if I were a lying criminal. I went, at their request, to see the Supervisor. He looked at the tax returns I brought with me. He talked to another guy, then came back to me. My benefit went from $711 to $1,200. I guess he knew what he was doing.

I filed in Sept 2023 for a 1 Jan 2024 start date. At the time of filing the amount was lower than I'd previously calculated. The person that I talked with said that the delayed credits would be calculated in January, and I would receive a letter signifying the final amount.

I just got the letter, and it was spot on. Delayed credits are calculated in the final (third step) of the process.

My first payment will be in February as they pay in arrears.

Called SS back yesterday. (1.5 hr hold time to get through)
Anyway, on the 1st call, the rep mistakenly gave me a Jan start date monthly quote rather than Mar.
So, its the larger*amount*as given*on the site estimate when it was viewable. .
My 1st ck will be on the 2nd wed in April. better 1/2's on the 4th Wed / April.

Did learn, my bride cant take the spousal benefit from the online application with a request stating that in the notes.
(Contrary to info given on my 1st call to SS) *
An interview is needed for that. Phone interview that is. Next avail interview? Feb. 15th.*
So, applying a couple months in advance seems to be the way to go.
Looking forward to it now. Never really thought about it all that much.
But in my 11th year of ret. it**will be nice getting a check in the mail for life.
Too easy............
Folks with large pensions will never know how much work is involved
managing things being retired without one. LOL LOL

Should break even in 8 or 9 years. What my employer and I paid over the decades.
If you add in zero appreciation from 1975 to today.*

Last edited:
I'm waiting until 70 but DW started at 62, so she will get 32.7% of mine later on.

Back
Top Bottom