"These are the times that try men's souls"

Not everyone sells his soul to the stock market.

My father never owned a stock/mutual fund in his life,
yet he retired at age 62 with no debt and a nice little
pension and nest egg that lasted him and my mom the
rest of their lives.

I divested myself of all stocks/mutual funds before I retired
from my corporate job at age 55... and I'm not waiting for
a bottom to reinvest... I am out for good.

I'll be watching from the sidelines. Ya'll enjoy the ride.

~

What is your strategy for dealing with inflation?

DD

What is your strategy for dealing with inflation?
For the last 8-10 years my parents-in-law have been 100% fixed income-- "diversified" among Treasuries, CDs, and money markets.

Each year they've reduced their standard of living by (at least) the CPI.

Then financial advisors notice what they're doing and write research papers about how spending declines among the elderly, so we can all go out and spend more now.

only thing those writers dont count on is most of us as we age may spend less on ourselves but way more on grand children and sometimes even our children. taking the family to disney, paying for college for grand children etc......

I remember early last year wishing for a bear market.

This was shortly after reading Four Pillars and Bernstein's comment that those in the accumulation phase benefit from a bear market, while those entering retirement a bull market.

Made a lot of sense to me at the time and it still does.

I feel for those that are on the border of retirement: I hope your aa is appropriate.

Early this year, I was 92/8 in equities/fi. Now it's about 89/11 and I'm itching to rebalance back to 90/10 (probably later this week or next).

Looking at the $ amounts involved, it's a bummer, but as long as you stick to your plan - set by your risk level - then there's no reason that this shouldn't pass.

Then again, maybe I'm overly optimistic, but my wish did come true. :)

I'm young and building up, so I keep putting my money away and hope the stock market keeps giving great deals (these financials look awesome to me for the long haul). Sorry to offend those in or near retirement 8)

Early this year, I was 92/8 in equities/fi. Now it's about 89/11 and I'm itching to rebalance back to 90/10 (probably later this week or next).

Woo-Hoo! Don't get vertigo from this big change. :)

Ha

Woo-Hoo! Don't get vertigo from this big change. :)

Ha

I know...after the latest drop, I wish I had more cash to buy equities, so right now I'm walking a fine line of sticking with my allocation and taking whatever percentage I can get.

Of course, I could I always up my equity allocation...

It takes waaay bigger brass cajones to stick to an aggressive plan in the withdrawal phase than the contribution phase. This market is merely a curiosity when you are punk 34 year old with 21 years to retirement and a mere 150k in equities. I think some of you have lost more than my entire portfolio this past year.

YUP... I did that. Then threw out the T-shirt. Now I am coming back hopefully stronger!

I'm a few years from FIRE, target AA is 50/50 bonds/stocks. It's slipped to about 56/44 as of early July. For the past several years, I was buying bond funds. Since January I've been putting all new money into equities, and that continues. I can't say I've slept soundly every night, but every time I crunch the numbers, read my value-investing heros, and think it over, there is only one conclusion: stay the course, keep buying equities while they're down. It's the surest path to ER for me.

Leave it to Taylor to rock em up with a good Boglehead reminder to 'Stay the Course.'

All praise (a little Stephan Ambrose) to Target Retirement 2015 and full auto.

Gave em a little tongue in cheek Geaux Saints.

I usually save the good stuff for this forum - since we are the greatest and have a really good sense of humor.

The older Bogleheads give calm steady advice - plus they get some great raging slice and dice debates going with really cool graphics, data and links to interesting studies.

heh heh heh - AND they don't charge 5 bucks to join like the old Morningstar. ala Mr B's 'you get what you don't pay for'.

Leave it to Taylor to rock em up with a good Boglehead reminder to 'Stay the Course.'

All praise (a little Stephan Ambrose) to Target Retirement 2015 and full auto.

Gave em a little tongue in cheek Geaux Saints.

I usually save the good stuff for this forum - since we are the greatest and have a really good sense of humor.

The older Bogleheads give calm steady advice - plus they get some great raging slice and dice debates going with really cool graphics, data and links to interesting studies.

heh heh heh - AND they don't charge 5 bucks to join like the old Morningstar. ala Mr B's 'you get what you don't pay for'.

Yes, I really like the Bogleheads board and there is a lot of food for thought over there. But I don't post much there, I guess because I usually get it all out of my system over here. ;)

"These are the times that try men's souls"

This is my 2nd bear market and I hope I can be as disciplined as I was the last time and rebalance to target AA as needed. However, my worst year was -11%, (2002) but today I have a lot more invested. I am -6.7% but getting close to a 6 figure reversal. (Gotta think percentages and look at $ :p)

Back
Top Bottom