Type of car you drive and age

2004 Ford Sport Trac with 130K miles. Great vehicle!

2005 Toyota Solara Convertible with 80K miles. HUGE back seat and trunk since the top does not go down into the trunk. "The Minnow" for its looks, or "German Staff Car" because of the size of the back seat.

2010 Saab 9-3 Convertible with 30K miles. Bright red, fast, handles incredibly well. Zero issues!! Probably gonna sell it and keep The Minnow (because of the full back seat and full trunk).

2017 Chevy (High Country) Silverado 1/2 ton truck. Designated replacement for the Sport Trac (bigger boat to tow). Gets 25 MPG on highway at 75 MPH with the 8 to 4 cylinder changeover when steady state or going down hills. Likely our long distance vehicle, as well.

Son 2 has a Camry we gave him in high school. Has 210K on it now. Replaced timing belt and water pump at 120K (is a non-interference engine). He replaced front and rear struts, brake pads, shoes (yep), and rotors. Tires every 50-60K. Oh yeah, we pulled valve cover and chipped and vacuumed out the coked on oil gunk - large coffee can full. Door handle wore out and he replaced it. Good mechanic for a musician - check out Atlanta Symphony.

Son 1 has a Accord we gave him after college graduation. Has 90K on it now. Never been to a dealer. Working his little MBA butt off :)

Last edited:
2004 Ford F-150 (93k miles)
2009 Toyota Sienna (118k miles)

I take a commuter express bus to work so I only drive the F-150 3 miles round trip to the park n ride each day.

My wife drives a 2002 Dodge Durango, purchased new in late 2001. Has approximately 90,000 miles on it, still runs great and is in perfect condition inside and out.

I drive a 2005 GMC Sierra pickup, purchased new in 2005. Has approximately 60,000 miles on it, and still in great condition except for the paint (it sits exposed outside in driveway, while my wife's vehicle gets to stay in our garage).

No plans to replace either of them until they become unreliable, and we're not looking forward to that day; we both hate vehicle shopping.

Ages 59/57

2000 Toyota Spyder Convertible - 122,000 car. Summer fun car. Paid cash.
2013 Ford F150 to pull rv travel trailer - 33,000 miles - paid cash
2017 Honda CRV EX - 27 miles - just bought - paid cash

Keep cars, as long as we still like them. If not, we go get another one. Cars is one of DH weakness.

2007 Tundra currently 199,000 miles. I bought this used in 2011 for $18,000 with 90,000 miles. Plan to keep it until 2021. It has held up good so far, only had to change a starter, serpentine idler pulley, and one rear hub. Only the starter left me stranded, the other parts gave an audible warning before complete failure so I was able to limp into a service center. Maybe I'll go for 300,000 miles.

Type of car you drive and age?

10 - Schwinn Stingray
20 - 1974 Datsun B210
30 - 1988 Honda Accord Coupe
40 - 1998 Toyota Camry, 1996 Ford Windstar
50 - 1998 Toyota Camry, 2002 Nissan Murano
now - 2014 Mercedes E250, 2015 VW GTI

2004 Toyota Solara convertible, 85K miles. Bought new in June 2004.

In the market for a new car - this one is finally showing its age. Really wish they still made it - I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. But most of the mid-level convertibles just aren't produced any more. Thinking about getting a used BMW 4-series, maybe 2014-15. Just have to decide if a) I want to spend that much money on a car and b) if the Certified PreOwned premium is worth it.

2008 RAV4. Will keep it as long as I can. Sometime since then they switched from a side opening hatch to a vertical opening hatch which is really inconvenient.

A rusting 2003 F150 with 117,xxx miles on it. I've had it since 2004. I haven't changed oil on it since June of last year because I'm using synthetic and I have about 800 miles on the oil. I travel for work nearly every week and even in the rare occasions that I don't fly, I rent a car. So, I'm going to drive it as long as I can.

Hi Everyone...I haven't posted for awhile. :greetings10:
Anyway, I still have my 98 Honda Civic that I purchased new. The odometer stopped when it reached 230,000. It just keeps going and going, and is perfect for our windy country roads. If I travel, I can always rent a car.

I have the 98 Accord--~:dance:91K miles. Man, I see a lot of them on the road. Averaging around 5K miles/year, figure the car should last another 40 years.

Best part is, when go in da hood, don't have to worry about getting carjacked.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom