Type of car you drive and age

The last two:

Bought new 1992 BMW 525i, kept for 15 years and 290K miles
Bought new 2005 BMW 330i, still have at 205K miles

My newest vehicle is a 10 year old Lincoln Town Car an older relative finally agreed to part with.

I plan on keeping it for at least another decade.

It's like driving a La-Z-Boy down the road...

All our other vehicles are older (some by a decade) than the above.

Last edited:
My first car was a 1989 Ford Thunderbird that my parents bought me in college. I drove it until the engine burned out in 2002. Then I bought myself a new 2002 Camry LE V6. I wanted something that would last. It still runs great.

Current stable:

2011 MINI Cooper S - 45k mi. (young wife daily driver)
2008 Honda Civic Hybrid - 257k mi. (my daily driver)
2001 BMW Z3 Roadster - 40k mi. (the toy)

Prior steeds:

1997 Honda Accord - bought in 1999, sold in 2011 at 165k mi.
1993 Honda Accord - sold in 2008 at 153k mi.
1991 Honda Civic - sold in 1999 at 206k mi.
1986 Honda Accord - totaled in 1991 at 96k mi.
1982 Chevy Chevette - sold in 1993 at 158k mi.
1972 Buick Century Station Wagon -- sold in 1986 ? mi.
1972 Triumph TR6 -- sold in 1982 ? mi.

Currently, a 2016 Honda Accord, which I plan on having 10 years.

Before, cars were an indulgence and I had a 2012 Audi A6 and before that a 2008 Lexus GS50.

Audi "cured" me of indulging in cars. It was fast, but how often can you drive 120mph to or from the office? :rolleyes: On the other hand, maintenance on that car was astronomical no matter how or when I drove it.

Wife keeps her cars about ten years. Me? I still have my first car.

That said, the current fleet.
1976 Chevy Monte Carlo. Bought in 84.
1993 Ford F150. Bought in 2009.
2004 Honda CRv. Bought in 2005 or 6. Just got demoted from family car, to teens first car.
2012 Honda CRv.

2010 Altima. 90,000 miles. Hope to go 15 years as I'm only driving 5m to 6m miles per year these days.

2012 Ford Explorer Limited - bought new. This is my primary vehicle and DH and I use it most of the time when we go places. We bought this car in late 2011. We will probably replace it in a few years to get a smaller SUV.

2013 Hyundai Veloster - bought new. This is DH's primary vehicle. It is a fun car and we've enjoyed it. However, this is a small car and I generally like the SUV more than a regular car.

As for how long we keep cars. The last several cars we had:

2008 Toyota Prius - given to our son. He used it through college and is still using it. It has almost 200k miles on it. He plans to replace it soon. We replaced this with the Explorer. So we used it about 4 years and DS has used it several years since then.

2006 (?) Nissan Quest - We replaced this with the Velsoter in 2012. This vehicle went to our other son.

Two other cars we had before those we drove for several years.

The first car I bought was a 1986 Dodge Colt (Mitsubishi Mirage) I bought new in April of 1986. I paid cash for it and the car lacked A/C, had manual transmission, and no power steering. I didn't drive much back then, using the train to go to work.

In early 1996, I traded it in as part of a cash purchase of a 1991 Geo Prizm (Toyota Corolla). The car was used, a former rental car with only 10k rental miles on it, pretty low. I happened to rent a 1991 Prizm in early 1991 when I went on vacation, so I had a good test drive with it. That car lasted another 15 years and I put another 50k miles on it. It had A/T, P/S, and A/C. I later replaced the radio-only with a radio-cassette player.

I traded it in when I bought a 2007 Corolla CE (the lowest model) new in early 2007, paying cash. Ten 1/2 years later, I still own it. It has 32k miles on it. It has a CD player but I never bought any music CDs so it has been unused the whole time while my old music cassettes gather dust.

2006 Equinox, 228k miles
2013 Silverado 48k miles

Heh heh heh - The Silverado came with Farm. And then and then are the 1972 Chevy 10 wheel C 60 complete with a 25 foot hydraulic lift boom, a 454 Chevy 1983 Flatbed, Kawasaki and Echo ATV's, Five Tractors and a 1958 John Deere bulldozer which I've gotten to start but haven't had nerve enough to drive yet. :dance::facepalm::nonono:;)

P.S. My Wife has a Honda Fit 2012 - a sensible 'city car.'

I just gave my 1966 C60 dump truck to my favorite charity. A friend and I owned it for several years.

I have a 2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited as a daily driver - 60000 miles and bought new. A 2004 Audi TT with 67000 miles bought used with 34000 miles. A 1992 F250 with 162000 miles bought used about 6 years ago as a beat up plow truck and is still a beat up plow truck.

How long do you keep your vehicles and what type of vehicle do you drive.
Not again... OK, my daily drivers are seldom more than 2 years old. Usually about 18 months. (My current favorite is a 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT which I've had for about 7 months now and it has 12k miles on it already.) My collectables are all more than 40 years old and I'm not going to list them again. No particular favorite, I like them all.

Last edited:
Not again... OK, my daily drivers are seldom more than 2 years old. Usually about 18 months. (My current favorite is a 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT which I've had for about 7 months now and it has 12k miles on it already.) My collectables are all more than 40 years old and I'm not going to list them again. No particular favorite, I like them all.

How has the Jeep been for reliability?

Hi Everyone...I haven't posted for awhile. :greetings10:
Anyway, I still have my 98 Honda Civic that I purchased new. The odometer stopped when it reached 230,000. It just keeps going and going, and is perfect for our windy country roads. If I travel, I can always rent a car.

Hi Everyone...I haven't posted for awhile. :greetings10:
Anyway, I still have my 98 Honda Civic that I purchased new. The odometer stopped when it reached 230,000. It just keeps going and going, and is perfect for our windy country roads. If I travel, I can always rent a car.

Happy to hear from you again, antmary. Those Hondas are certainly built to last. We've had Accords and Civics for many years and been very pleased with them.

I'm on my second one. A 2015 and now a 2017, both daily drivers. Zero problems, never had the need to put either one in the shop. Just add gas and go.

Last edited:

Its a Jeep. That means it is made by Chrysler. That should say all you need to know.

PS. I have a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon for my daily driver. It will do things other vehicles cannot. But it is a Jeep. Not the most reliable vehicle I could buy IMO.

List of problems so far (60,000 miles):
- Starter replaced
- Sway bar disconnect out at 20,000 miles (very common, thousands to replace)
- Battery replaced (4 yrs is reasonable, but less than other new cars I have owned)
- Throttle sticky especially at low speeds (misdiagnosed by dealer)
- Cruise control module replaced (dealer clueless - couldn't fix)

Last edited:
2007 Cadillac DTS -- 110K miles. Currently driven about 3K miles a year. Only uses are tailgating at college football games 13 miles north, and occasional grocery store runs. Could probably do just fine without an owned car altogether, and might just try that. Would save money by ditching the car, but would feel odd since I've owned at least one at a time for the last 45 years.

I'm on my second one. A 2015 and now a 2017, both daily drivers. Zero problems, never had the need to put either one in the shop. Just add gas and go.

I've put 65,000 miles on my 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee. Two sets of brakes and lots of tires. No other dealer service other than a handful of recalls.

I've put 65,000 miles on my 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee. Two sets of brakes and lots of tires. No other dealer service other than a handful of recalls.
My biggest complaint with the SRT's is the brake dust. The pads in those Brembo's are super dusty. I haven't had to change out the pads yet (don't keep cars that long) but I've considered it just to reduce the dust levels. Anyway, they really do stop great. I did see a recall on the 2015 SRT's to modify the shrift leaver but I personally liked it the way it worked, so I never took it in for the modification.

After thinking about this, I do recall one minor problem on the 2015 model. One day the UConnect seem to go crazy. Lot's of erroneous readings. Anyway, the next time I stop and restarted the car (in effect rebooting the UConnect system) everything worked fine. I guess that's to be expected in these highly computerized vehicles.

Last edited:
My biggest complaint with the SRT's is the brake dust. The pads in those Brembo's are super dusty. I haven't had to change out the pads yet (don't keep cars that long) but I've considered it just to reduce the dust levels. Anyway, they really do stop great. I did see a recall on the 2015 SRT's to modify the shrift leaver but I personally liked it the way it worked, so I never took it in for the modification.

After thinking about this, I do recall one minor problem on the 2015 model. One day the UConnect seem to go crazy. Lot's of erroneous readings. Anyway, the next time I stop and restarted the car (in effect rebooting the UConnect system) everything worked fine. I guess that's to be expected in these highly computerized vehicles.

Are you SRT guys putting in your order for the new 707 HP Grand Cherokee Trackhawk? What a beast!!! I would think about it if I lived in a rural area where I would ever get to enjoy it.

Are you SRT guys putting in your order for the new 707 HP Grand Cherokee Trackhawk? What a beast!!! I would think about it if I lived in a rural area where I would ever get to enjoy it.

I've already talked to my local dealer. They said they would start taking orders last Thursday but no firm delivery dates yet. (I suspect an October delivery date at this time) The base sticker price is 85k so I expect what I'd want loaded on mine will be in the mid 90's. Maybe even more initially as they may want to charge a premium until their stock builds up. I think I'm going to wait until they are out a few months before buying to see if the AWD can hold up to all that power.

Last edited:
2015 Mazda CX-5 (18,000)

2010 Toyota RAV4 (84,000)

2005 Toyota Tundra Crew Cab (just turned 100,000)

Back
Top Bottom