United Airlines wants to just 'Forget' Pension Promise.....

JG,

Here is the link from Harvard Business Journal about excessive CEO compensation:
http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=2917&t=corporate_governance

Mr. Mcquire is the CEO of United Health Care group - an HMO organization.

Here are some key points:
- CEO compensation is a major expense even for large corporations.
- No correlation exists between CEO pay and corporate performance, such as the increases in share prices and the growth of profitability.
- The enormous increase at the top hurts workers at the middle or bottom.
- No one has ever produced evidence that exorbitant compensation is essential for a CEO to look after the interests of the shareholders

Spanky said:
JG,

Here is the link from Harvard Business Journal about excessive CEO compensation:
http://hbswk.hbs.edu/item.jhtml?id=2917&t=corporate_governance

Mr. Mcquire is the CEO of United Health Care group - an HMO organization.

Here are some key points:
- CEO compensation is a major expense even for large corporations.
- No correlation exists between CEO pay and corporate performance, such as the increases in share prices and the growth of profitability.
- The enormous increase at the top hurts workers at the middle or bottom.
- No one has ever produced evidence that exorbitant compensation is essential for a CEO to look after the interests of the shareholders

Hi Spanky! I wouldn't argue with any of this, except I think Mr.
McQuire should get all he can get. That's capitalism! Do you want the government to tell the board how much they should pay him?
In that way lies madness. Unfortunately, that's where we are
headed............

JG

th said:
Actually John, they have your complete support.  By not voting you are allowing whoever gets voted in to do whatever they wish.

What you're doing is the equivalent of letting a blind person walk in front of a fast moving bus without saying anything.  Its easy for a morally shallow person to say they have no responsibility, but in fact, you do.

By not voting I am making a legitimate political statement. I intend to
NEVER vote again. I'm 60 years old and voting has been a waste
of my time. I may be a slow learner, but eventually I catch on.

JG

MRGALT2U said:
Do you want the government to tell the board how much they should pay him?
In that way lies madness. Unfortunately, that's where we are
headed............

JG

JG,

No, government intervention is not the solution. The owners (or institutional shareholders) must play an active role in the governance and management. They must hold the board and management accoutable for results in the interests of shareholders. Paying themselves excessive compensation, cooking the books, misuse of company funding for persoanl use, etc. are not serving the interests of shareholders.

Spanky

MRGALT2U said:
Hi Spanky!  I wouldn't argue with any of this, except I think Mr.
McQuire should get all he can get.  That's capitalism!  Do you want the government to tell the board how much they should pay him?
In that way lies madness.   Unfortunately, that's where we are
headed............

JG

Well, you seem to be happy having the Government decide whether a woman should get an abortion instead of her doctor and herself.

And you seem to be satisfied that the Government gets to decide which Sex can Marry and have complete civil rights.

And you also seem to be happy to let the Government to decide when to end the life of a terminally ill patient.

So yeah you are correct! - This does seem the way we are headed. :confused: And which political party would you blame for these intrusions?

I really don't mind the government intervening in Business Monoplies, and corporate fraud and such. But, I get a bit sqeamish when they start intervening in Social Affairs.

Cut-Throat said:
Well, you seem to be happy having the Government decide whether a woman should get an abortion instead of her doctor and herself.

And you seem to be satisfied that the Government gets to decide which Sex can Marry and have complete civil rights.

And you also seem to be happy to let the Government to decide when to end the life of a terminally ill patient.

So yeah you are correct! - This does seem the way we are headed. :confused: And which political party would you blame for these intrusions?

I really don't mind the government intervening in Business Monoplies, and corporate fraud and such. But, I get a bit sqeamish when they start intervening in Social Affairs.

I am not sure I entirely understand your point. I think we had the best start possible when the country was founded and we've been working ever
since to screw it up. I believe in the Constitution and The Bill of Rights.
Also, the smallest government possible. Generally, I think they should get the hell out of the way, and that includes "social affairs" except for
abortion which I personally believe is murder and thus covered
elsewhere in the law. Gays can do whatever they want as long as it's not under my nose. We don't have to codify it. There is only one individual that I could vote for
and he ain't running :)

JG

and that includes "social affairs" except for
abortion which I personally believe is murder and thus covered
elsewhere in the law. 

You're wrong here. Abortion is not Murder. You cannot be 'Murdered' until you are born. Birth certificates are issued the day you are born, not the day you are conceived. You need a Death certificate for a Murder trial.

So it is not "thus covered elsewhere in the law."

I think we had the best start possible when the country was founded and we've been working ever
since to screw it up. I believe in the Constitution and The Bill of Rights.

The Bill of rights is a 'Working Document'. When the Country was founded it only gave rights to Old White Men and Excluded Women and Blacks. No Sanctity in those times either.

Cut-Throat said:
The Bill of rights is a 'Working Document'. When the Country was founded it only gave rights to Old White Men and Excluded Women and Blacks. No Sanctity in those times either.

Ah, the good old days...... :)

JG

Cut-Throat said:
You're wrong here. Abortion is not Murder. You cannot be 'Murdered' until you are born. Birth certificates are issued the day you are born, not the day you are conceived. You need a Death certificate for a Murder trial.

So it is not "thus covered elsewhere in the law."

Uh, well I meant we already have laws against murder,
but in re. "legal protection starting at conception", you are correct of course. I am completely out of sync with modern PC thought
and contemporary society in general. Abortion being just one of
many examples.

JG

OK John, I remember quizing you about the abortion issue before and my recollection was that based on Ayn Rand's philosophy, you would not pass a law making abortion murder, but you personally believed abortion was wrong.

MRGALT2U said:
Ah, the good old days...... :)

JG

I wonder what your DW and some 25,000,000 blacks thinks about the your idea of the "good ol days"

MJ :mad: :D :)

Dear VISA:

I would like to inform you that although I have an account balance of $6,520.00, due to my recent loss of UAL pension income I have sustained through no fault of my own, I can only pay $2,167.00 back. Attached is a check in that amount. If you want the full amount, please contact my former employer and see if they will give you the money that they owe me.  You can keep whatever you get.  By the way, please note my new address:

Fred UAL Retiree
123 Calle Del La Liberdad De Los Gringo Obligaciones
Puerto Allegre
Chile

Hasta La Vista, 

Fred
8)

Back
Top Bottom