What a Wuss!

And there is nothing wrong with waiting for a while even if retirement is "all figured out".

Audrey

Obviously, Midpack is not completely ready to pull the plug as he's having some doubts and reservations.

Well, that is true but in a way begs the question. That is, any time someone raises possible reservations you could always justify it as just not being ready.

And sometimes those reservations make actual sense and are well founded.

Other times, reservations may reflect more fear of the unknown or even an overly conservative outlook that is, well, not helpful.

I am not saying that is the case with Midpack. This is more a philosophical point.

I remember sometimes my aunt and uncle. They were retired and had social security. They had never earned a great deal so there social security wasn't a lot. They did have a paid for house that they had lived in for over 50 years that wasn't updated. It had a tiny single bathroom. And there was certainly a case to be made for enlarging the bathroom (could have built on to the back of the house) including the entry to the bathroom. Or, maybe they could moved to even a different house.

But my aunt was frugal and was concerned she wouldn't have enough money(for her old age?) if she did that. On the surface based upon what I just said those doubts and reservations may have seemed reasonable.

In reality? They were not wealthy but had several hundred thousand dollars sitting in CDs that they never used. They were over 90 years old. My aunt had had both legs amputated do to illness. The bathroom door was too narrow for a wheelchair which meant her over husband had to carry her to the bathroom. Yet, she couldn't allow herself to spend the money to end her final years in a modicum of comfort.

So there is not being ready...and then there is being...well overly cautious.

There has to be balance at some point between not being foolhardy and yet realizing that you only get so much time in life and we never know how much time it is.

Good grief! I have heard of people like that. In fact, some friends of my parents were nearly as frugal. Even my own mother often frets about the cost of living, yet we know she has money stashed away. Although she is not rich, my mother has enough assets to last for another 75 years at her spending rate, which is supplemental to her pension and SS !

Back to Midpack, I don't think it is financial concern. It's probably just high inertia. Many engineers are like that. I am one. We don't want changes. For example, I think more engineers stay married to their 1st wives than the general population (someone please correct me if statistics prove me wrong).

Back to Midpack, I don't think it is financial concern. It's probably just high inertia. Many engineers are like that. I am one. We don't want changes. For example, I think more engineers stay married to their 1st wives than the general population (someone please correct me if statistics prove me wrong).

There is definitely some fear of the unknown. I know that is part of my ER butterflies I posted about in another thread.

This is accurate. I'm 56 YO and we're at 2.6% WR on planned expenses of 20% more than our past several years actual expense. Plenty of safety factor IMO. Work has lost it's charm, but I am well paid, getting glowing reviews and can do the job in my sleep. It's just a question of why not continue to take the money and be even more ridiculously secure? And I don't know what I want to do as a second career, I think I need to figure that one out, and maybe that will put me into the next chapter in life. Thanks for all your kind thoughts/words...

I think that you can be completely prepared, and not make the move. Nothing wrong with that. And at some point the timing becomes clear or there is a eureka moment and you realize you are more than ready and out of there yesterday! It's fine to let the status quo ride for a while before taking the plunge. The fact that the prep work is already done is a huge factor in your favor - you can then make the move whenever you choose, and quickly too!

Audrey

And at some point the timing becomes clear or there is a eureka moment and you realize you are more than ready and out of there yesterday!
This metaphor is a bit more elegant than the BS bucket analogy...

Midpack,
I was FI for several years before I retired . I just was not mentally ready and that is just as important as being financially ready . You'll know when it's time . Fifty six is still young !

I've been away from this thread for a while. My employer granted me a trip to NOLA for a conference. I was energized and ready to take on the world . . . .until I got on the plane to return home. Then I realised nothing had changed back at the office.:nonono:

I had an interview today. These have been painful in the past. I interview well, but eventually they start round aboutly inquiring about my age. I swear, once your past 45, it's very difficult to move. I really don't know where this interview will go, but win loose or draw I'm going to pull the ejection seat handle this summer, by some means (leave of absence or just give them an end date).

I can really identify with Midpack:greetings10:

I think that you can be completely prepared, and not make the move. Nothing wrong with that. And at some point the timing becomes clear or there is a eureka moment and you realize you are more than ready and out of there yesterday! It's fine to let the status quo ride for a while before taking the plunge. The fact that the prep work is already done is a huge factor in your favor - you can then make the move whenever you choose, and quickly too!

Audrey
That matches my experience. I liked my work for years, was OK with it for many more years, and knew I had to go when I had to go. I was ER prepared before that day.

Back
Top Bottom