What to do with a bounced check

Buku

Dryer sheet aficionado
Board:

On a different thread I asked for a recommendation as to what to do with a renter behind on the rent.

Along those responses, what do you guys do with a bounced rent check?

I see a lot of recommendations regarding cash only...but you do have some options with a bounced check as well.

Since I currently have in my possesion a bounced check from a renter, what would you guys do with it should i choose to evict?

Board:

On a different thread I asked for a recommendation as to what to do with a renter behind on the rent.

Along those responses, what do you guys do with a bounced rent check?

I see a lot of recommendations regarding cash only...but you do have some options with a bounced check as well.

Since I currently have in my possesion a bounced check from a renter, what would you guys do with it should i choose to evict?
Start by determining if your county has an aggressive "hot check program."
Some are very good, some otherwise. Most have a limit as to how old the check can be. The ones I used in Texas were all 30 days.
Of course if the account is still active, check with the bank daily--you never know.

See if your city/county DA's office will help. They have a hot check division here and came through for me the one time I asked for their assistance.

What would you guys do if your renter with a bounced check just happened to work for the clerk of the courts for the county where your rental home was located.

What would you guys do if your renter with a bounced check just happened to work for the clerk of the courts for the county where your rental home was located.
Depends on how evil I was feeling.
But, all in all, you should not need to handle it any different.
Given the person's position in life, they should jump at the chance to make restitution if you hint you are proceeding with legal action..That is if they have half a brain:bat:

Contact the DA and file for payment. If you get no action, write a letter to the editor of your local paper and contact the "crack team of investigative reporters" at you local TV stations regarding the apparent conflict of interest.*

*Consider the potential cost of relocation in the interest of personal safety before taking this step.

Courts, DA :confused: What theeee ...

Call the BANK and see if it'll CLEAR ... if yes, walk it to the teller and CASH IT. If no, ask the tenant when it will be covered.

Start by determining if your county has an aggressive "hot check program."
See if your city/county DA's office will help.

Our county state's attorneys office is pretty good about dealing with people that bounce checks. There are always people getting hauled in to the county pokey for writing bad checks, and getting to see 'up close & personal' how our judicial system works. :bat:

Make sure you also add on the exhorbitant bounced check fee you are being charged by the bank. In my area, it's $30.

If its a rent check (the rent is now late) or a quit or pay notice (now payment never made), I'd immediately file for eviction. Then write a demand letter to make the check good with cash in 3 days. Then, file with the city/county DA's office. In the mean time I'd be at the bank it was drawn on, every day to see if they would cash it or if I made a $5 or $10 account deposit, without actually making the deposit unless they would cash it.

Best of luck, you probably are out of luck on collecting on the check. But its worth some effort to try.

Take the check to his bank and bring some cash with you. Ask them if it will clear--if it will, cash it right then. If it won't, ask how much the account is short and then deposit that much in cash and cash the check in the same transaction.

Always wait a couple days and try it a second time to see if it will clear before taking bigger steps.

Back
Top Bottom