Would you stay or would you Go......

As the song goes would you stay or would you go? :rolleyes:

The problem is where will you go, if you like to stay in Philly. For that money, you can get a huge ranch home elsewhere, but do you want to relocate?

I dunno and cannot offer any help, other than posting that song that you talked about.

Regardless of who is selling what in your neighborhood, with bad knees I'd sell right now and move to a home with no stairs at all.

My thinking is, why not prepare for likely future needs now, before you wind up in a tough situation. Right now you can take your time and find a home with no stairs that is just right for you and in a location that you like.
I see it this way also. No reason to hang around til your hand is forced.

Although i have one short flight to get to my floor, I was able to handle that well enough while I waited 8 months for my hip replacement. Nevertheless i kind of wish that I had kept looking until I found a high rise with elevators. Still, I have no continuing issues, and medium good luck lets me stay put here, and I really like it here. If i keep my upper body strength, I could get in with no legs at all.

Ha

Last edited:
I see it this way also. No reason to hang around til your hand is forced.

Although i have one short flight to get to my floor, I was able to handle that well enough while I waited 8 months for my hip replacement. Nevertheless i kind of wish that I had kept looking until I found a high rise with elevators. Still, I have no continuing issues, and medium good luck lets me stay put here, and I really like it here. If i keep my upper body strength, I could get in with no legs at all.

Ha

I am visualizing you as standing on your hands, and walking upstairs that way. :LOL: That probably wasn't what you meant, but if it was then I'm suitably impressed. ;)

My house has no stairs inside and I like it that way because of crummy knees and age related arthritis. To enter via the front door, which I never do (because the detached garage is in the back), I have one normal sized step. To enter via the side door, there are two steps only 2" high each, and I took a terrible fall there the first week that I lived here. So, I now hang on to the railing and I am excessively careful when using that door. To enter via the back door (my favorite, right by the detached garage), there are no stairs at all.

One good thing about waiting is that once those sell, it will give you good comparables to know what your house is worth. After all that is what appraisers do, look at recent similar sales that are close to your place. Add and subtract as needed to try and equalize and then come up with a number for your place. ...
+1 If I were planning to sell, I would wait for the others to sell then list quickly. As comps they will almost certainly help you and you may bag a buyer who missed getting one of your neighbors' houses and hence is motivated.

We lived in Boston for 10+ years and in early 2016 had much the same situation in our condo complex. Saw a couple similar townhouses sell for surprisingly high numbers and had a few real estate agents evaluate our place. The numbers shocked us and after some late nights with plenty of wine, we decided that if we could get anywhere near what the agents suggested we could, we could pull the FIRE trigger if we sold and moved "back home". We executed the plan in August 2016 and sold.

When seeking out our Forever Home in our old hometown area, our first - and nearly only - priority was to have one-floor living; essentially a ranch style home. Having had a hip replacement in my 50's, this was a priority. We found our home and couldn't be happier. When they roll me out of here for the final time, it'll be a SMOOTH ride!

I agree with W2R. Better to be proactive on a forever home.

I am visualizing you as standing on your hands, and walking upstairs that way. :LOL: That probably wasn't what you meant, but if it was then I'm suitably impressed. ;)

My house has no stairs inside and I like it that way because of crummy knees and age related arthritis. To enter via the front door, which I never do (because the detached garage is in the back), I have one normal sized step. To enter via the side door, there are two steps only 2" high each, and I took a terrible fall there the first week that I lived here. So, I now hang on to the railing and I am excessively careful when using that door. To enter via the back door (my favorite, right by the detached garage), there are no stairs at all.
I only wish. I tried my much less attractive method yesterday. Sit down on the stairs, lift my butt up to the next stair, then move my hands up once more. Of course I might still need legs to stand up at my door I guess, so maybe this would not work after all. l was amazed when I had very severe arthritis in my hip, how mobile I could be with very good crutches. My GF sometimes asked me to slow down.

But your no-stairs solution is better for sure.

Ha

Back
Top Bottom