2022 workout thread

Currently waiting for my gravel bike race to start. Racing in an Omnium (three days of racing). Yesterday started off with a fairly rough time trial … all uphill on dirt, mud, snow. Todays is a 40 mile mass start race through forest roads. Am up against guys who are decades younger than me and seriously fast so am no where near the podium, but that’s OK. Just being able to get out and give the heart, lungs and legs a workout is enough reward.

Currently waiting for my gravel bike race to start. Racing in an Omnium (three days of racing). Yesterday started off with a fairly rough time trial … all uphill on dirt, mud, snow. Todays is a 40 mile mass start race through forest roads. Am up against guys who are decades younger than me and seriously fast so am no where near the podium, but that’s OK. Just being able to get out and give the heart, lungs and legs a workout is enough reward.

Great job - I stopped racing a couple of years ago, and now just bike to stay fit.

I'm finding that I can golf a round early in the morning, walking the course, and then go swimming in the afternoon for 30-40 minutes. The swimming seems almost therapeutic to any soreness I might have from golfing. Plus DW swims with me, which adds to the enjoyment.

Third day of three-day gravel bike race today. 54 miles and 3,800 ft of vertical. Sunday’s course was on road surfaces of dirt, sand and very slippery pea gravel. Based on my standing from the previous two days I wasn’t near the podium so took it easy, finishing 30 in a field of 64.

Worked my part-time job at the rock quarry yesterday retrieving 5-gal size samples of sand and gravel from the pit and then moving them around my lab for various tests. It’s a good workout for sure.

Got home just in time to throw the mtn bike on the car and head out for mid-week mtn bike race. Got an hour of cardio and a little boo-boo on my knee where I kissed the ground on second lap. A Post race band aid and beer made it all better.

Hit the gym yesterday for an hour of intervals on the treadmill and some core strength work. And later in the day an hour bike ride down to the river and back (10 miles and 1,400’ of hill climb).

Still nursing a bruised forearm and knee from last weeks mtn bike race. Adrenaline was pumping and lost control going down a rocky descent and hit the ground. A spectator at the bottom of the pitch yelled out … “that’s not how you do it”! Thought that was pretty funny. Got up and going quickly and managed a 4th place finish.

8 hours of strenuous yard work a day - clearing brush, spreading mulch, moving rock outcroppings for the last 3 days, averaging +20,000 steps a day.

May has been a good month. Hit the gym 12 days and put 330 miles on my bike with 34,000 ft of vertical.

Lined up for many bike races in May with much better results than what I was able to achieve before I retired. Feeling good for a 58 year old guy carrying a few extra pounds around the middle.

May has been a good month. Hit the gym 12 days and put 330 miles on my bike with 34,000 ft of vertical.

May was a good month for me as well! After heart surgeries (stents) in February and March, I began my "comeback" this month. Weights, walking -with periodic run segments, and swimming were all on the agenda. Very slowly and steadily increasing intensity and distances.

Back home from travel. Walked one mile in my neighborhood this morning. We walked nine miles a day each day on our New York trip.

Our pool is open and hopefully I can swim every day now.

I am planning to do some type of yoga today too.

Raced 60 mile dirt/gravel road bicycle race today. Super fun event with three mountain passes going up to almost 7,000 ft elevation, followed by fast rocky descents. Finished in a little over 5 hours and burned a few thousand calories.

Had several team mates in the race, but unfortunately we were unable to connect during the race so that we could work together. Finished way back, 37 in a field of 88 competitors.

I angered my knee trying to move 20' 2x12's by myself through an obstacle course a couple of weeks ago. Since then I have been off the routine and i got back in the saddle tonight on the treadmill. Not much noise from the knee so I will start ramping back up.

Gravel bike ride today at stateline (CA/Nev) along the Truckee river. Fifteen miles and 1,500 ft of climbing. Took a little over an hour.

short little treadmill at the cardiologist today. I hit the goals and stopped. She said I could stop the "exercise" whenever I wanted. Exercise, LOL. It ramps up and speeds up every three minutes till it is no longer fun.
It set a target HR @135 and a max @159. I got to the 159 and held it there for a couple of minutes and bagged it, right before it made another increase.

I love the summer weather in Iowa as it really increases my exercise options. I have been trying to swim/water walk every day for 30 minutes along with walking outside 1-2 miles. I add in bike riding and yoga on different days. And gardening is a bit of a workout. I do find I need to do everything early in the day or I am too tired.

I've been doing F45 workouts 3-5 days/week for almost 4 years now and I'm totally addicted. Follow their meal plans too so at 51 I'm in pretty good shape; shame for my arthritis in my neck and left hip as it holds me back some days.

Since I FIRE'd in 2020 I've been incorporating additional daily activities like mountain biking, tennis, running + the regular F45 dailies, but my motivation has been waning the last few months to do the extra activities so I'm looking to get that going now again that it's warmer out.

Did my usual workout today. Gym session with an hour of intervals on the treadmill followed by strength and core workout. Later in the day got out on my mountain bike for an hour ride down to the river, a quick dip to cool off, then a dusty climb on a gravel road back up to the house.

Finishing the day with homemade pizza, glass of wine, and baseball on the TV.

Another awesome day on the west coast.

Have been taking it easy for a week with no workouts. Went backpacking over the long 4th of July weekend up in the high Sierras and was nursing a very sore lower back last week. Soreness was from nights sleeping on the ground, a poorly fitting pack, too many miles of rugged terrain.

Am back to my daily routine this week with an hour on the bike and gym sessions.

Had 4 stents put in back in February and March. Since then, have been slowly and steadily building up my stamina doing running [more accurately, combo of walking and running], swimming and weights. Had a great visit with cardiologist today and he basically said I am free to do all of my exercising.
Tomorrow, I do a double: swimming followed by a run.....or maybe a bike ride.

I am starting to transition from mainly resistance training to more of a mobility and core strengthening routine. Still do exclusively resistance one day per week and the other two workout days are mobility and core. My legs, joints and lower back are feeling better and my posture is improving and I can activate my glutes more effectively. I probably should have incorporated more of this several years ago, but as we grow old it becomes more of a necessity.

Have been doing +13000 steps per day walking/hiking, with weights, ebiking 20 miles or so and some kayaking. But I'm not where I want to be weight and bp wise. So I started running again. Just run/walk intervals for 3.5 miles.

Yesterday wrapped up four days (stages) of gravel bike racing in British Columbia. Total mileage for the four days was 250 miles and 24k ft of vertical on the most gorgeous dirt trails and gravel roads in the world. Brilliant views around every corner, making it hard to keep eyes on the road. Managed to stay upright through the week.

Took 19th place out of a field of 30 in my age class … 50-59 yr old male.

Have been working out all Summer to prep for this race. Was hoping to place a little better, but finished strong and except for a little tenderness in left knee and Achilles all is good.

Wow!
I am borrowing our host's bike in the Uk and getting a few miles in each morning. Even when I was riding to work, it took a month to get in 250 miles.

Back
Top Bottom