Audit courses Under 60?

qwerty3656

Full time employment: Posting here.
Based on suggestions here, I thought I should take a look at local college courses to see if there was anything of interest. It appears that the audit options are for people over 60. I'm 58, so am I out of luck?

Plenty of college courses online through edX.org that anyone can audit for free.

Hi Qwerty,

Not an audit but I've always thought the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (aka Olli) courses looked interesting. Super affordable memberships with the 50+ group in mind. They are located all over. On my to do list when I join the class of 2022 in June!! :dance:

I have taken online classes through Coursera, many are free and excellent.

When I retired at 52 I worried I needed some structure to replace w*rk. So I signed up for an Italian course at the local JC. Not auditing, but for a grade. It was fairly inexpensive. I enjoyed it enough I signed up for the next couple of semesters then picked a different topic. About 6 semesters in I decided I didn't need the structure and there were no courses that interested me.

Why not enroll for a grade, vs auditing.

Continuo a praticare e imparare l'italiano perché è interessante e divertente.

Hi Qwerty,

Not an audit but I've always thought the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (aka Olli) courses looked interesting. Super affordable memberships with the 50+ group in mind. They are located all over. On my to do list when I join the class of 2022 in June!! :dance:

DW and I do Olli at our local university. We are able to attend classes geared toward retired folk or audit class lectures (with professor permission). Covid has made much of it remote or canceled early. I am hoping that next year (2022) works better.

DW and I do Olli at our local university. We are able to attend classes geared toward retired folk or audit class lectures (with professor permission). Covid has made much of it remote or canceled early. I am hoping that next year (2022) works better.

Dalmore that's awesome. I was really impressed by the ones I saw offered near me. Interesting topic with PhD level professionals or experts teaching and of course a community of mature people interested in the same topic.

+1 for OLLI. When I lived in the Denver area I took all of the classes in person. Since I moved to western Colorado I have been unable to find an equivalent alternatve. Then the pandemic intervened. For over a year now I have been taking classes that I really enjoy on line. I have a chance to chat before class with a few people that I previously met. I was starting to feel comfortable with the idea of doing a yoga class in person. Then came omicron. I can take through OLLI my yoga class on line.

When you look at Coursera. Do you find there, what you are looking for?

There are many free courses on Coursera. A quick look through them and some of the ones I marked to watch later include Introduction to Astronomy, Managing Stress in Times of Covid and one on Finance and that was only on the first 2 pages.

We can audit courses at our local community college for free.

But unfortunately I don't have any place to "paint automobiles and trucks."

We can audit courses at our local community college for free.

But unfortunately I don't have any place to "paint automobiles and trucks."

I still love to learn, but back in the day, I passed on the free belly dancing course. I had a belly, but just couldn't see myself making a (even bigger) fool of myself than when out on the dance floor. YMMV

Some states offer courses for seniors for free except for lab fees. In Florida I think it is just at the State Universities and not colleges. If the tuition cost is not an issue for you what difference is it whether you take a course for a grade or audit? Part of the fun for me would be attending a class in person instead of on line. However, that has not been attractive to me for the past 2 years.

Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom