Best Panama Retirement Guide?

Pellice

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Ok, I have occasional flashes of "move to Panama" thoughts, as I really like the place. It's probably not realistic for a variety of reasons; however, I've looked online and there seem to be multiple "retire to Panama" guides, all put out by competing for-profit companies specializing in moving people to that place.

I realize that no guide is going to be perfect and free from hype and profit considerations, but can anyone recommend one that is less predatory than the others? I don't want to join any more serious expat forum at this point, I just want to look over a reasonably comprehensive current online guide.

Here are the rules:
https://www.embassyofpanama.org/retire-in-panama

But beyond those simple basics, I can't see how you would get anything but opinions, and those will vary all over the place. I think just look for forums and other websites (no need to join until you get serious about it) and read enough to get comfortable (or not) with the idea.

I totally understand wanting to read a quality book over digging through online stuff. Online, you'll end up having to sift through dozens of viewpoints and arguments in often trivial details that don't matter in the big picture. It would be nice to find a trustworthy author and get one perspective. That's a good launch pad for further exploration.

Feet on the ground.

A couple/number of transatlantics ago we shared a few meals with an 'older' South African couple who had first emigrated to Vancouver, found the weather not to their liking and moved to Nicaragua, thence Panama.

An unconventional couple they, (IIRC), lived in a rural area and were (pretty much) self sufficient, and seemingly quite content.

Me, I had a stopover in Panama city early 1963 - probably the scuzziest place I've ever been, (and I've been to one or three), although I understand it's been cleaned up.

We have expat friends who moved to Panama 30 plus years ago to open a business. They have since retired in Boquette.

They claim that the local real estate folks say that about 50 percent of Americans who retire to the area actually stay. The others return home after 2 or 3 years.

A few years ago we stayed at a B&B in Punte D'Este, Uruguay run by expats from South Africa. Their short list came down to Panama and Uruguay. They appeared to be very happy with their choice.

Last edited:
Thinking back to when I was less than Financially Independent, I looked into expat life. The only reason was so I could afford to escape the cube sooner. I suppose some folks would embrace the "adventure" of the whole situation. Frankly, I was more intrigued by Dory 36's live-aboard life style, but YMMV.

IF I had been tempted to move to another country to be able to retire, I think I'd first look at another state. Call me crazy, but Mississippi (state) sounds better than Panama but again, YMMV.

Back
Top Bottom