Beware of Ageism

We have them in my complex. First time I saw them, it was like out of the movie "Birds".

We have lots of old geezers here as well, but they’re mostly harmless. Unless they’re driving, in which case even turkey vultures keep their distance.

It's fine to say "beware of ageism," but what the heck is one supposed to do about it? Other than what old people do anyway, which is to try not to let it bother them?

Somehow I don't envision gangs of old people rioting and burning down cities to get people to stop ignoring them.

We have lots of old geezers here as well, but they’re mostly harmless. Unless they’re driving, in which case even turkey vultures keep their distance.

I saw this movie. You just never know...

It's fine to say "beware of ageism," but what the heck is one supposed to do about it? Other than what old people do anyway, which is to try not to let it bother them?

Somehow I don't envision gangs of old people rioting and burning down cities to get people to stop ignoring them.

Or wait, I do, but it's in the form of a Gary Larson cartoon.

Well, us old geezers vote more than any other group. Maybe we should all gang together on our voting?

Several years ago I witnessed an immature eagle being seriously harassed by a huge flock of crows. Several mature eagles came to the rescue and finally convinced the crows that the cost of success was too high.

Ahem. A huge murder of crows, you mean. Sniff, Sniff.

Well, us old geezers vote more than any other group. Maybe we should all gang together on our voting?

Excellent suggestion. As soon as we all agree on having a mortgage and what age to take SS we can all vote the same on...what were we talking about?

Excellent suggestion. As soon as we all agree on having a mortgage and what age to take SS we can all vote the same on...what were we talking about?

Ha. We just finally came to 100% consensus about whether to use a financial advisor or DIY. One small step for humankind.

I'm game if you tell me for what and for WHOM our voting will go? lol!

OK how about this for a start--we find out how politicians stand on strengthening Medicare and making Medicare financially stable and we vote for the politicians who support Medicare and will work to make it financially stable?

OK how about this for a start--we find out how politicians stand on strengthening Medicare and making Medicare financially stable and we vote for the politicians who support Medicare and will work to make it financially stable?

I haven’t joined yet but I think AARP is pretty focused on this and has strength in numbers.

Voting is good, but doesn't mean much when you are face-to-face with ageist behavior.

How does one deal with it, other than the same way I have dealt all my life with sexism?

By rising above it and showing that I do, indeed, know what I'm talking about and doing, even though the person facing me clearly assumes I didn't.

How does one deal with it...

"But the silver tongued devil's got nothing to lose I'll only live till I die
We take our own chances and pay our own dues the silver tongued devil and I"
Kris K.

And as Bette Midler used to say, (back when she was still mildly amusing), "**** 'em, if they can't take a joke."

Voting is good, but doesn't mean much when you are face-to-face with ageist behavior.

How does one deal with it, other than the same way I have dealt all my life with sexism?

By rising above it and showing that I do, indeed, know what I'm talking about and doing, even though the person facing me clearly assumes I didn't.

I think those of us who are financially independent have the resources to be treated as valued customers most of the time. Those still earning their living - not so much.

I've been dealing with a large variety of tradespeople since we moved to Florida. It has been quite shocking to experience a clearly sexist attitude from them, especially certain demographics. Some of them appear to know less about their business than I do, especially when it comes to plants. And I just loved the guy who told me that I had "plenty" of kitchen cabinets when I asked about rearranging the space so I could have more storage space. I felt like saying, "Did you think we were going to spend your money to do it?"

I think those of us who are financially independent have the resources to be treated as valued customers most of the time. Those still earning their living - not so much.

"is your husband home?"

Guaranteed to set DW off on a tirade:

"Will your husband let you do that?"

On our remote back country bike ride last week, a woman flagged me down for directions. I said my wife will be along in a few minutes, she can help you.
I'm an excellent map reader, she wanted road numbers and place names - that's DW's specialty.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom