Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-05-2021, 10:18 PM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

^ will do. Thanks!
I just entered my VIN and yes 6 recalls, so will ask them about that and see if any effect mine. Not all escapes will have those recalls but some will it says. I suppose they will be able to check from a VIN#.
Thanks for the info.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2021, 10:29 PM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by street View Post
... I decided to sell my 2004 truck in a private sale and it sold tonight and got $10,500 for it...
Will you miss your pickup? You seem to be an outdoor type who likes to wander out in the back country that is more accessible with a truck.
Old 03-05-2021, 10:54 PM   #383

Congrats, Street! Best of luck!
Old 03-05-2021, 11:48 PM   #384
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
We have been quite happy with our 8 year old, 55 in. plasma TV. On Monday, it stopped receiving video signal from any source, to any connection port. Bummer. After checking out the current TV tech, we bought a latest model, 65 in. 4K OLED. The picture is mind blowing . At $2000 it's the most we have even spent on a TV, but we did get it from our local appliance store for $200 under Amazon. It delivers tomorrow.
We have a 55" LG plasma, and every now and then the controller stops working, but the problem is dust in the back part of the tv. I blow hard into the back of the tv and the controller works again for about 6 months.

Totally weird, I found the answer a couple of years ago on the internet, while looking for a new controller.
Old 03-05-2021, 11:51 PM   #385
Moderator Emeritus

Sweet ride Street!
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:00 AM   #386

Thanks, hope it is the right decision and can research till your heads hurts and still might not work for you. I have never bought a Ford before so this is a new experience for me.

NW-Bound >
Oh, I still have a ranch pickup and use that for all the heavy lifting and back country things I do. I have had pickups all my life and I would be lost with out one.

just had to many outfits, but I will miss these very much and just because.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:05 AM   #387

heading out this morning to pick up two composite adirondak chairs for the patio/deck off our master. After that two hour drive, we will continue on to a watersports shop to look at Hobie kayak's. $250 each for the chairs and $2500 for a Hobie. Dinner with brother and sister in law, 500 miles on the truck and the total bill for today should come in around $3200. I think today qualifies as a "blow that dough" day.

-"Blow that dough"-Robbie

" People say I'm lazy, dreaming my life away Well, they give me all kinds of advice designed to enlighten me When I tell them that I'm doing fine watching shadows on the wall "Don't you miss the big time, boy. You're no longer on the ball" -John Lennon-
Bigdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:12 AM   #388
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
heading out this morning to pick up two composite adirondak chairs for the patio/deck off our master. After that two hour drive, we will continue on to a watersports shop to look at Hobie kayak's. $250 each for the chairs and $2500 for a Hobie. Dinner with brother and sister in law, 500 miles on the truck and the total bill for today should come in around $3200. I think today qualifies as a "blow that dough" day.
That should end up a happy spending day for things you like.
Old 03-06-2021, 07:20 AM   #389
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Well, I'm sick of driving, researching, reading reviews and finally blow some dough on a vehicle. From Toyota, Chevy, Honda, Buick and Ford SUVS I decided on a Ford Escape.

It was a 2020 hold over with a MRSP of $ 29,945 and with rebates incentives and some dickering got them to $22,023. I also added a trade of the civic and they gave me $5250 for it.
I decided to sell my 2004 truck in a private sale and it sold tonight and got $10,500 for it.
Blow some dough but I felt good about the deal all the way around. So a new ride for $6523. It cost me ~ $384 a year for 17 year for both outfits not including ins. or maintence, but just cost of product itself. One was 17 years old and one was 14 years and both outfits were very good shape and low miles.
It looks very nice Street.
Did you sell off your old Colorado?

JP
JP.mpls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2021, 07:31 AM   #390

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.mpls View Post
It looks very nice Street.
Did you sell off your old Colorado?

JP
Nope, I still have that one also. Lol It has 165K and is still a great reliable outfit.
Old 03-07-2021, 05:37 AM   #391
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

It looks very nice, Street! Congrats with the proper blow!
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 06:27 AM   #392
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Did you get the Kayak Dawg? We might have to finally meet and do a little kayaking on the Patuxent !!!
f35phixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:02 AM   #393
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Well, I'm sick of driving, researching, reading reviews and finally blow some dough on a vehicle. From Toyota, Chevy, Honda, Buick and Ford SUVS I decided on a Ford Escape.

It was a 2020 hold over with a MRSP of $ 29,945 and with rebates incentives and some dickering got them to $22,023. I also added a trade of the civic and they gave me $5250 for it.
I decided to sell my 2004 truck in a private sale and it sold tonight and got $10,500 for it.
Blow some dough but I felt good about the deal all the way around. So a new ride for $6523. It cost me ~ $384 a year for 17 year for both outfits not including ins. or maintence, but just cost of product itself. One was 17 years old and one was 14 years and both outfits were very good shape and low miles.

Very nice and 27% off of MSRP sounds like a very good deal. Never owned a Ford myself either but did try an Escape once a long time ago when they were probably a completely different animal. Ended up with a Subaru Outback and have stayed in them now for the last 23 years.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:04 AM   #394
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

That qualifies! Those composite Adirondack chairs are much more comfortable than I expected and should last a long time.
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 12:44 PM   #395
Give me a forum ...

Last night, took advantage of Tier 3 status here in the islands and took a group of 8 friends to dinner. It's not a fancy place but the food is really tasty. I picked up the check which, with tip was about $200 (none of us is a wino, heh, heh). I'm sure lots of folks (me included) have spent that much on a meal for 2 to 4 folks in the past. But last night it just "felt" like blowing that dough as we probably didn't spend $200 total last year on "sit-down" dining due to Covid 19. SO for us, it was BTD even if YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 02:41 PM   #396
Recycles dryer sheets

Way to go Street. That car shopping and second and triple third guessing and figuring is exhausting. We did it in Feb and it is a thing for sure. We did like the Escape we checked out. Nice rig and many happy returns.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 05:40 PM   #397

^ yes it has been exhausting and to many numbers of pricing for to many brands.

The game changer was a Ford dealer that is close to me, all the other brands are 4 hours away. Even thou I didn't buy it from the closest ford dealer I have one close anyway.

My dad would be rolling over in his grave if he knew, I bought a Ford. Lol He was loyal Chevy person.

When my wife and I got married she had a Ford Mustang and we took that home to see my parents one of the first times to visit. My dad wouldn't let her put that ford in the garage. Lol My wife reminds me of that once in a while and both have to laugh.
Old 03-07-2021, 11:16 PM   #398
Recycles dryer sheets

@koolau, I look forward to that day. I have not had a nice meal in the islands for many years and it would mean a great deal to me.
@street, the close dealer is a great reason. In the heavy equipment business the availability of support seems to outweigh everything else.
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:27 AM   #399

I want to be koolau's friend...

Last big spend was ~$4000 for laser eye surgery for the youngest kid so he can qualify for pilot in his service branch after undergrad.

After he's hopefully off the payroll next year I'd like to replace the original wall-to-wall mauve carpet in our home with LVP or something similar, at least in the high traffic areas.
ncbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Last night, took advantage of Tier 3 status here in the islands and took a group of 8 friends to dinner. It's not a fancy place but the food is really tasty. I picked up the check which, with tip was about $200 (none of us is a wino, heh, heh). I'm sure lots of folks (me included) have spent that much on a meal for 2 to 4 folks in the past. But last night it just "felt" like blowing that dough as we probably didn't spend $200 total last year on "sit-down" dining due to Covid 19. SO for us, it was BTD even if YMMV.
LOL! That sounded like great evening.