Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jerry1 >> I did not mean anything but some humor from the they are rich comment. I sure hope you took it that way. Just having fun with what must of us can do with our resources.

I see nothing less then humble and blessed people here on ER. I sometimes like to poke fun at our life styles but absolutely not singling out anyone or belittling anyone with what they have or don't have.

Now if I can just get the City to give me a break on the gazebo. They say because it has a roof that it's covered by the rules for a shed and requires a footing (piers) of 42" deep. Problem is that the concrete pad was already poured and is larger than the gazebo. So to put down some piers I'd have to somehow cut into the pad I just poured last year. My alternative is to do a pergola. Since a pergola doesn't have a roof, it can be mounted directly to the concrete pad. I get the feeling they're making this stuff up as they go along.

I'm doing a pergola with our pool, but since I'm in FL, for hurricane wind requirements I need those deep footers anyway. I had them poured before the decking, as I knew I needed something out there. Yup they are deep!

I'm getting the simple 12x12 yardistry pergola from Costco, and I'll also get some sort of shade cover fabric to make a "roof" so it won't be fully covered but offer some respite in the sun, which is all I really want.

I'm also doing a pool, and went for upgrades like salt, travertine decking, a ledge with therapy jets, and of course I happened to like the most expensive tile...

Jerry1 >> I did not mean anything but some humor from the they are rich comment. I sure hope you took it that way. Just having fun with what must of us can do with our resources.

I see nothing less then humble and blessed people here on ER. I sometimes like to poke fun at our life styles but absolutely not singling out anyone or belittling anyone with what they have or don't have.

No offense taken. I may be a little defensive, but I was really just trying to say that we’re all rich. Just in different ways.

"Railing was to be horizontal steel cable between metal posts for a cost of $17K"

You have got to be kidding me.

I'm getting the simple 12x12 yardistry pergola from Costco, and I'll also get some sort of shade cover fabric to make a "roof" so it won't be fully covered but offer some respite in the sun, which is all I really want.

I'm also doing a pool, and went for upgrades like salt, travertine decking, a ledge with therapy jets, and of course I happened to like the most expensive tile...

Shade is my main objective also, but the gazebo also has mosquito netting which was nice in the evening or helpful for flys and such while eating.

No offense taken. I may be a little defensive, but I was really just trying to say that we’re all rich. Just in different ways.

Great! Sometimes my humor isn't funny to all but I can assure you no negativity was intended.

Yeah we are all rich, even without being rich. Lol

The conventional deck seems like the way to go. I understand your concerns about regular maintenance as that was one of mu concerns with our PT wood deck. If I could mention a product I used with terrific results because it is a bonding stain that will not peel and over a period of 11 years all I ever had to do was roll on another coat after washing the dirt off the original coat of stain.

Check out onetimewood.com - I have no financial or other interest in this just wanted to pass along something that worked for me and avoided the dreaded stripping and restaining process. All of our 3 daughters families have started using this after seeing the results and ease we had.

I agree. I messaged my contractor this morning to that effect; a conventional redwood deck. He called me back. We chatted for nearly an hour and he's got a strong relationship with a west coast redwood mill, can buy direct from the mill, so that might help costs too.

I'll follow up on your referral for the deck finish too. Thanks for that!

It really is amazing the concept of rich and poor. We live on around $4k a month. For a long time, it didn't dawn on me that my income from pension and SS was double that until the bank called me about the balance in my checking account. Then there's the IRA's invested in equity mutual funds 80% and cash 20%. Boy howdy have those grown! I'm now BURDENED with finding ways to spend down all this money so my kids don't end up blowing it for me. Ha!

But rich is relative. We recently started watching a program on TV called Airplane Repo. Multi million dollar private jets, 80' yachts, etc. owned by dead beat trust fund babies who haven't a clue what a dollar is worth. Very exciting show!

This is true. Early retirement is priceless.

And I mean after all, this is the Blow That Dough thread. No room here for judgment or shaming!

As long as it makes the "dough blower" feel happy, and satisfies his/her consumer urges for the time being, then I think it counts!

I agree. I’m glad you added “for the time being”. Life will not be worth living past the days when my consumer urges stop.

I suppose I might qualify as low-level "rich" by some definitions. I just have difficulty thinking in terms of blowing six figures. I guess I have a higher threshold for blowing than other people do (I should probably rephrase that).

I think it has to do with 1) valuing simplicity, not being particularly materialistic or consumerist; 2) being early on in my retirement, with a long way to go (hopefully); 3) a long history of saving and accumulating, with little experience in blowing money willy nilly; and 4) being in the middle of uncertain economic times.

In part, I come to this thread for inspiration, though. I would like to learn to be a little less conservative with my money and a little more free-spending. I just don't think I'm ready to jump in the deep end yet. I'll stick to the couple hundred or couple thousand dollar level for now.

Last edited:
In part, I come to this thread for inspiration, though. I would like to learn to be a little less conservative with my money and a little more free-spending. I just don't think I'm ready to jump in the deep end yet. I'll stick to the couple hundred or couple thousand dollar level for now.

My idea of "blowing the dough" is no tied up in the price but in the purpose or use of what you are blowing the dough on. For instance the above poster with the 6 figure deck: An arguement could be made that a deck is almost essential. I think Robbie blowing a few hundred on some crabs legs and waygu steaks qualifies for "blowing the dough" long before someone adding a deck to the back of their house does. My 2 cents.

I'm all for exotic foods. Gimme some wagyu and I'll flip it on the barbee. Gimme some Russian Ossetra and I'll creame fraiche it with some icy cold grey goose.

I got some snake river cap of ribeye in the freezer and a couple pounds of catalina grade fish.

But hey, I did a hundred grand on the landscape and the sheds too!

The fountain arrived on friday. It cost a grand.

Hey maybe that's the level eh? Over a grand.

My idea of "blowing the dough" is no tied up in the price but in the purpose or use of what you are blowing the dough on. For instance the above poster with the 6 figure deck: An arguement could be made that a deck is almost essential. I think Robbie blowing a few hundred on some crabs legs and waygu steaks qualifies for "blowing the dough" long before someone adding a deck to the back of their house does. My 2 cents.

Yeah, I like the spirit of that. It's more about the attitude you are spending it with, rather than the amount.

Yeah, a few hundred on stuff that won't even last a week...

But hey, it tastes so good!

It's all relative to one's preferences. I would like to extend our deck another 4' out and put a permanent roof overhead. But the price of lumber is sky high right now. I wound also like to replace my ceramic tile floor with a luxury vinyl flooring. But, we entertain during the warmer months, and to tear up the first floor to remove the ceramic tile, woodwork, and repaint, is crazy. I'd like to upgrade the two upstairs bathrooms, the fiberglass shower/tubs are beginning to check, and I don't want any water damage. It all has to do with priorities and budget. if you got the cash, do what you gotta do, and postpone what you can.

I'm all for exotic foods. Gimme some wagyu and I'll flip it on the barbee. Gimme some Russian Ossetra and I'll creame fraiche it with some icy cold grey goose.

I got some snake river cap of ribeye in the freezer and a couple pounds of catalina grade fish.

But hey, I did a hundred grand on the landscape and the sheds too!

The fountain arrived on friday. It cost a grand.

Hey maybe that's the level eh? Over a grand.

Speaking of exotic foods, anyone try petrossian.com or goldbelly.com?

Or maybe Fauchon?

Yeah, I got some very expensive (because rare now) smoked Lake Michigan chubs at goldbelly. Once plentiful and cheap, now rare and exotic.

The conventional deck seems like the way to go. I understand your concerns about regular maintenance as that was one of mu concerns with our PT wood deck. If I could mention a product I used with terrific results because it is a bonding stain that will not peel and over a period of 11 years all I ever had to do was roll on another coat after washing the dirt off the original coat of stain.

Check out onetimewood.com - I have no financial or other interest in this just wanted to pass along something that worked for me and avoided the dreaded stripping and restaining process. All of our 3 daughters families have started using this after seeing the results and ease we had.

Thanks for the recommendation...here my (southern exposure) deck is in full sun so I picked wood again when it needed a rebuild..composite would have gotten too hot to walk on.

I picked a brick red, opaque stain since I liked that color on a neighbor's deck but it's flaking off after just a couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom