Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sounds good but when you buy a car which has finished its lease, you no longer have a warranty right?

That is when German luxury cars become absurdly expensive, the major maintenance and repairs out of warranty. Talking about 5-figure bills being common.

I am finishing a lease on a BMW X3 and I've put under 11k miles in 3 years. Might be worth buying but then don't want to deal with potential big repairs and maintenance.

I own a 2011 Audi which is a blast to drive and I've never even approached a 5-figure repair or service bill.

Fingers crossed! :hide:

That is when German luxury cars become absurdly expensive, the major maintenance and repairs out of warranty. Talking about 5-figure bills being common.

You don't REALLY mean 5 figure, right? 4 figure service bills are stiff, but 5 figure:confused:? I mean, come on, you can buy a very decent used car for that....

Did the paperwork for a new to me car today. It's a 3 year old Audi A5 convertible, top of the line with every option available. Neighbor had it coming off lease and wasn't going to buy it. Told me a few months ago I could have it for the buyout price. Despite having upgraded both cars over the winter due to the deals (before the shortage came up), I was thinking a fun car was in the works.

Fast forward to end of lease time, and they could have made more money than selling to me with the price increases in the used car market, but they stuck by our verbal agreement. They were originally thinking they would turn it in since their family situation changed after getting it and it no longer made sense for them. But said they'd let me come out ahead instead of the dealer.

And... only 12K miles. Woohoo! :)
My 2018 Audi A5 cabriolet also with 12k miles is near lease end. Market on the car is $10k or so over the buyout price. Audi leasing makes it difficult to sell it to a dealer, as they markup the buyout. So, I have to buy it from Audi and then sell it in order to unlock the equity in the lease. It is a fun car to drive here in SoCal.

I would claim that there is a hole in the bottom of my purse where all that money keeps falling out of all of a sudden. The problem is when I get my visa bill I recognize all of the charges. But I used to only charge somewhere around $300 a month and now it's well over $1500. I think I'm just so glad to get out that I'm doing retail therapy

Sounds good but when you buy a car which has finished its lease, you no longer have a warranty right?

I am finishing a lease on a BMW X3 and I've put under 11k miles in 3 years. Might be worth buying but then don't want to deal with potential big repairs and maintenance.

You have the warranty until the time/miles run out regardless of whether it was leased or not. At least my understanding. I bought a 2016 Audi A5 off of lease for 24K from Carmax. Brought back to CarMax just about two years later with 6000 extra miles and they offered me 25K for it. And I never had a problem with it, one of the best cars I’ve owned.

Went with DW to a nice dinner, for no real special reason. We did have a $100 gift card to the restaurant from over a year ago. Total bill $240 including tip. No bottles of wine or appetizers, just 4 beers with the dinner. Very good food and service of course. Might not be a huge blow the dough, but way more than we usually spend for just two of us.

IMG_0589.JPG

Not a repair but I did grind this stump down along with some large surface roots.

You have the warranty until the time/miles run out regardless of whether it was leased or not. At least my understanding. I bought a 2016 Audi A5 off of lease for 24K from Carmax. Brought back to CarMax just about two years later with 6000 extra miles and they offered me 25K for it. And I never had a problem with it, one of the best cars I’ve owned.

Well the lease is 3 years and the warranty is 4 years?

Yeah I think 4-figure repairs are not uncommon with 5-figure repairs possible.

After having had fun with unknown wines shipped to the house during the pandemic - think $5-6/bottle with shipping (by the case), we hit Sams yesterday and spent $300 on $15-20 wines (cab suav).

But, earlier in the day, I sold my truck to a local used car enterprise that really wanted it - oddly, got zero offers in the same range when advertising on both craigslist and Facebook. 2017 Chevy High Country with 47,000 miles sold for 10% less than I paid for it in 2017. Had just sold my boat - the reason I bought the truck. Considering next boat, and suitable tow vehicle. Like having a truck, but also have a trailer - so ... maybe wait for the coming plug-in hybrid pickups.

To blow the dough, a shooter could do worse than with a Barrett 50-cal gun. Weight of 32 lbs, and length almost 5'. This is your dream gun.

The initial outlay is $10K, but after that each shot is only $3.

Everything I've seen or read about this weapon is that it is amazing - but not fun. Shooting one of these is brutal and a true assault on the body and the senses. Having said that, I'd like to try it once. YMMV

I had a S&W 44 mag. It was not that fun to shoot. Then they came out with the .500. I’m sure that beat up the shooter. On a similar but smaller end, the small short barrel .38’s were never much fun to shoot either. Some guns are interesting to shoot, but many are specific to their purpose, which is not target shooting and therefore, not much fun on the range.

Prius Primes currently have a $4,500 rebate in the Northern California market. Can't understand why.

I wonder if they're advertising the $4,500 federal tax credit that the Prime is eligible for as a rebate?

I had a S&W 44 mag. It was not that fun to shoot. Then they came out with the .500. I’m sure that beat up the shooter. On a similar but smaller end, the small short barrel .38’s were never much fun to shoot either. Some guns are interesting to shoot, but many are specific to their purpose, which is not target shooting and therefore, not much fun on the range.

Heh, heh, like the old joke: "One killed, one injured."

I wonder if they're advertising the $4,500 federal tax credit that the Prime is eligible for as a rebate?

It's a Toyota local market rebate. Like most incentives, the rebate varies from month to month. It was $4,000 at the beginning of the year, went to $5,000, and then dropped to $4,500. The Prime also gets you a carpool lane sticker but the State of California rebate program which was juicy is now limited to lower income buyers.

For some reason, the Prime does not sell as well in the Bay Area as does the regular Prius. Never driven one, so I don't understand. The plug in should not be a deterrent, as I see other brands on the local streets.

FedEx just delivered a box full of ten different great cheeses from iGourmet. That's our splurge for the holiday weekend. We both love cheese, but it has to be real cheese, mostly from Europe.

I agree, as another former 44mag owner. Had an old west style single action 44, the kick was so much that it was not fun. Traded that 44 for a 357 which is much nicer. Even my subcompact 9mm semi-auto is pretty serious kick since the chassis and subsequent weight is less; more of the recoil force is transferred to your hands.

Local winery had semi-annual $6 bottle sale. DW and I spent >$500 and picked up 7 cases

FedEx just delivered a box full of ten different great cheeses from iGourmet. That's our splurge for the holiday weekend. We both love cheese, but it has to be real cheese, mostly from Europe.

I’m about ready to order same, and it’s also been a year. But I consider it part of my “normal” grocery spending.

ETA: have you ever had Grand Noir by Kaserei Champignon? It’s a super creamy blue cheese - out of this world! Costco sometimes carries it.

Last edited:
I’m about ready to order same, and it’s also been a year. But I consider it part of my “normal” grocery spending.

How do they ship that cheese in blistering hot weather?

^^You get to pay for overnight shipping FedEx. Everything stays chilled overnight with the cold packaging. Overnight for soft cheeses. They may allow 2 day shipping for firm/aged cheeses.

Last edited:
^^You get to pay for overnight shipping FedEx. Everything stays chilled overnight with the cold packaging. Overnight for soft cheeses. They may allow 2 day shipping for firm/aged cheeses.

I figured as much...and hopefully people will at home and ready to get into the refrigerator..

Well, yes. When you order expensive perishable items packed in coolers you had better plan to be home to receive them and store ASAP.

Well, yes. When you order expensive perishable items packed in coolers you had better plan to be home to receive them and store ASAP.

Our UPS and Fedex come anytime between 8 and 6 PM...so that can take a whole day.:LOL:

Much easier when you are retired..

Last edited:

I think I still have some fancy cheeses bought at Costco in the fridge, and I thought they were pretty good.

Now, I will have to look closely at the labels to see if they are imported or some made-in-the-US wannabes. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom