Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing wrong. Just suggesting DW and I have different ways to BTD. We accept that in each other and occasionally make light of it. YMMV

The indulgent market god has given me so much money lately, I want to spend some on myself, but I have long realized that there was very little that I desire. There are things that I think I will enjoy, but then not for long. And "stuff" tends to require maintenance and upkeep. Get myself a fancy car, and I will get tired of it after a couple of drives.

And as I hate to throw usable things away, I will let them accumulate. I need to learn to let things go by taking them to Goodwill. Somehow, I could be giving thousands in cash to charity, but am reluctant to give away a tool or an appliance that I am not using. Perhaps I am afraid I may need it again, then kick myself for spending money once more on something that I already had.

Consumables are good, but drinking/eating too much and you will regret it later if your health is impacted. It's only travel that can help me blow some dough without regrets. I am so looking forward to when we can wander around in foreign lands, trying foreign dishes, browsing around in grocery stores to see what the locals eat, walking the streets to see how they live. Sigh...

Last edited:
Mine is all real but I never think of it as an investment. Most "we buy gold" places will give you about half the meltdown value of the metal. I started VERY early when I was taking actuarial exams- every time I passed one (there were 10 and for awhile I had a winning streak of passing every one on the first try) I'd buy myself a present. It expanded to buying pieces in my travels. I now have a wonderful 1950s- type charm bracelet and sometimes I just buy a charm from the place I'm visiting.

I was showing some of my jewelry to my 4-year old granddaughter, who seems to take an interest in it, and she expressed concern that I was spending all my money in jewelry. A very sensible concern! It was a good time to discuss priorities and budgeting at a 4-year old level.

Speaking of gold, a close friend of mine was so worried that the entire economy would crash, back in the early 90s. So, he cashed out his entire 401k in order to buy gold. When the tax bill came due, he had to sell some in order to pay the tax. I bought a couple of American Gold Eagle coins from him, with the intention of giving them to my kids later, just for the heck of it.

I then kept forgetting, and finally gave them to my children a couple of years ago, when they were already in their 30s. They of course did not expect a gift like that! :eek:

I bought a couple of American Gold Eagle coins from him, with the intention of giving them to my kids later, just for the heck of it.

I've got two pieces of gold coin jewelry. One is an Austrian ducat Dad bought on a business trip there back before Americans were allowed to buy gold coins, and one is a half-Krugerrand that he bought for my late mother. Both are mounted to wear as pendants.

Back to the OT- like NW-Bound, I've done well in the market since retiring and don't want anything else and already donate generously to charity. I'm continuing my usual withdrawal rate (averaging 3.5%) and have decided that what I don't need at the end of the year (will be $10K or more) I'll offer to DS and DDIL to be split between whatever they want for their own savings and contributions to the 529 account I set up for their 3 children.

Mine is all real but I never think of it as an investment. Most "we buy gold" places will give you about half the meltdown value of the metal. I started VERY early when I was taking actuarial exams- every time I passed one (there were 10 and for awhile I had a winning streak of passing every one on the first try) I'd buy myself a present. It expanded to buying pieces in my travels. I now have a wonderful 1950s- type charm bracelet and sometimes I just buy a charm from the place I'm visiting.

DW's best friend's father owned a jewelry store, everyone in the family worked there. DW became a knowledgeable observer while growing up, the father had the jewelry repair shop in the basement of the house.

Anytime we ever traveled to a new place , DW always bought gold charms when they were a decent deal for her gold bracelet, or a silver one for her silver bracelet. Needless to say, but they both are quite heavy after all these years.

The indulgent market god has given me so much money lately, I want to spend some on myself, but I have long realized that there was very little that I desire. .........I am so looking forward to when we can wander around in foreign lands, trying foreign dishes, browsing around in grocery stores to see what the locals eat, walking the streets to see how they live. Sigh...

+1 I too have tried to live within our means and find it not so rewarding spending when I look how hard our kids are struggling while working. We look forward to our Europe trip in Sept, and our practice cruise in July to Alaska from home port Seattle. Going Zip linings and renting motor cycles!

We are booked for Prague 5 nights, Vienna 5 nights, Greece 2 nights and cruise 7 and Barcelona 5 nights. Michelin stars will be counted at each stop!

We are pretty happy living like we did while working. Yup, we could buy a very large yacht, but I am not a fan of upkeep. The Jaguar just did not work out very well, but buying flagstone for my kids houses and hauling it in my new dually felt rewarding. My wife knew to quit 15 years ago, but it took me another 10 to realize it. Life with activity is short and blowing some dough is hard for the frugal who still repair everything using coupons:(

Thanks for posting the link Athena. I’ve found some stuff I’ve been trying to buy and couldn’t quite find them. I too love jewelry and some of these are screaming my name.

My dock reno is slowly becoming a mini BTD. It only stands to reason that anything connecting to a boat costs a lot of money.

Thanks for posting the link Athena. I’ve found some stuff I’ve been trying to buy and couldn’t quite find them. I too love jewelry and some of these are screaming my name.

LOL! I've already found my next purchase on that site but I'm giving it time. I want to enjoy the "new stuff" glow from my current purchase after it arrives- maybe buy the second item as a birthday present in February. If they no longer carry it- well, I'll have fun picking out something else.

+1 I too have tried to live within our means and find it not so rewarding spending when I look how hard our kids are struggling while working. We look forward to our Europe trip in Sept, and our practice cruise in July to Alaska from home port Seattle. Going Zip linings and renting motor cycles!

We are booked for Prague 5 nights, Vienna 5 nights, Greece 2 nights and cruise 7 and Barcelona 5 nights. Michelin stars will be counted at each stop!

As itchy as I am to take off on a European trek, the travel restrictions in place look too confusing and uncertain for me to make any plan. If I travel, it will be next year.

And my wife still has to find arrangement for care of her mother.

I may just be doomed to staying home to watch travel video.

Getting closer to blow some dough. Got the call I was waiting for today and the land deal is full steam ahead. A ways to go before money is exchanged but hammered out the details and new info is in attorney's hands now.
I'm pretty excited about this purchase been going on for 6 months already and I sure hope it doesn't take another 6 months. If it does it is what it is, and eventually I can call it mine.

As itchy as I am to take off on a European trek, the travel restrictions in place look too confusing and uncertain for me to make any plan. If I travel, it will be next year.

And my wife still has to find arrangement for care of her mother.

I may just be doomed to staying home to watch travel video.

Anything you book for 2022, I would make sure is refundable.

Don't know what the winter will be like, which new variants will pop up.

Today I ordered an iPhone 12 to replace my iPhone 7. Not a big spend, but atypical of my usual “use it until it dies” approach. It’s my reward to myself for putting in so much time at my summer job. The company usually trains 40-50 new river guides every year but this year had only 20ish candidates. I’ve been going out four or five days per week instead of the usual two or three.

Agree, the arrangements and restrictions for legal tourist travel to Europe this year look like something I don't want to try and figure out.

We're planning a late fall trip to the Southwestern US, specific itinerary to be adjusted based on local situations.

Today I ordered an iPhone 12 to replace my iPhone 7. Not a big spend, but atypical of my usual “use it until it dies” approach. It’s my reward to myself for putting in so much time at my summer job. The company usually trains 40-50 new river guides every year but this year had only 20ish candidates. I’ve been going out four or five days per week instead of the usual two or three.

A good way to blow some money.

I also have a 7 and next week I'm going to have a new battery installed and maybe the plugin port. I was thinking a new phone but decided to replace the battery.

Maybe it still counts as "blow that dough", if it is just splurging on something I wouldn't have splurged on in the past.
I recently bought a very nice squirrel proof bird feeder, and then also got fancy expensive bird seed from the specialty birding store.
My cat Bert especially likes these choices. We call it cat TV when he watches the feeders out the window.
View attachment 39455

I had this feeder but it forgot to mention that it wasn't bear proof.

I also have a 7 and next week I'm going to have a new battery installed and maybe the plugin port. I was thinking a new phone but decided to replace the battery.

Smart move. Keep the 7. The battery life in my 12 is not the greatest.

Shouldn’t buy last years iPhone now.

New models a couple of months away.

While you're there inquire if the phone is still under the extended warranty for a known problem with the cell phone circuitry. My 7 died a few weeks after the extended warranty expired. However, with the new battery I use it for music, audio books, and around the house (It still works well on wifi). That is saving a lot of wear and tear on the new iPhone SE 2020 I had to get. I only charge the SE's battery once every third day under normal conditions.

In effect, I am using my iPhone 7 as an iPod touch.

Last edited:
Several years ago my iPhone 5 cratered, and the price of the newer ones seemed ridiculous to me even then (imagine what I would think of today's iPhone prices! :ROFLMAO: ). I use a cell phone for phone calls and very few other functions. So, I went with Cricket wireless and got a free LG cell phone for porting my phone number over there.

Not a BTD move but I have been deliriously happy with paying exactly $30.00/month for unlimited talk and text, and $0.00 for my phone. The photos aren't as good, but the sound quality in my location is better IMO. And, I love not being at the mercy of Apple (which was my possibly unjustified perception), any more.

Several years ago my iPhone 5 cratered, and the price of the newer ones seemed ridiculous to me even then (imagine what I would think of today's iPhone prices! :ROFLMAO: ). I use a cell phone for phone calls and very few other functions. So, I went with Cricket wireless and got a free LG cell phone for porting my phone number over there.

Not a BTD move but I have been deliriously happy with paying exactly $30.00/month for unlimited talk and text, and $0.00 for my phone. The photos aren't as good, but the sound quality in my location is better IMO. And, I love not being at the mercy of Apple (which was my possibly unjustified perception), any more.

I have Cricket for $25 monthly (4 lines =100) for unlimited, but did pay 50 for my older smart phone.

While you're there inquire if the phone is still under the extended warranty for a known problem with the cell phone circuitry. My 7 died a few weeks after the extended warranty expired. However, with the new battery I use it for music, audio books, and around the house (It still works well on wifi). That is saving a lot of wear and tear on the new iPhone SE 2020 I had to get. I only charge the SE's battery once every third day under normal conditions.

In effect, I am using my iPhone 7 as an iPod touch.

Well, thank you, I will do that. I need to charge each day now, and have had the phone over 5 years. It has been a solid phone and the battery really hasn't been terriable but I need to replace it. I'm in no service area a lot or very sketchy areas where coverage is questionable from day to day. I use battery in those areas more so need a dependable life line.

Just booked air for 6 to San Juan PR from 3 different airports. Got the van rented. Shopping accommodations now. Trip with the kids and their SO's on my nickel. The best BTD for me because it's not "more stuff"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom