Blow That Dough! -2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted here a few times about wanting to blow some dough on a piece homesteaded land. The guy texted me a little while ago and the deal will happen and he will call me after the fourth some time.
I'm very excited about this purchase and will keep me busy rebuilding and improving the land. It has some irrigated land also so that will be nice.
Can't wait to blow that dough.

Last edited:
I posted here a few times about wanting to blow some dough on a piece homesteaded land. The guy texted me a little while ago and the deal will happen and he will call me after the fourth some time.
I'm very excited about this purchase and will keep me busy rebuilding and improving the land. It has some irrigated land also so that will be nice.
Can't wait to blow that dough.

Congrats! Keep us posted on your progress on the land.

To blow the dough, a shooter could do worse than with a Barrett 50-cal gun. Weight of 32 lbs, and length almost 5'. This is your dream gun.

The initial outlay is $10K, but after that each shot is only $3.

Everything I've seen or read about this weapon is that it is amazing - but not fun. Shooting one of these is brutal and a true assault on the body and the senses. Having said that, I'd like to try it once. YMMV

FWIW-the Barrett 50 isn't bad to shoot. Between the massive weight and muzzle device, I didn't find it uncomfortable. Loud and fiery for certain. Been beat up worse with an ill-fitting 12 gauge and lightweight .308s

Yeah! And pics too!

Yep, I can do that. Just got the verbal, so will need to get the surveyor and lawyer started and I hope to get it done quick. The guy is a hermit and lives off grid at 8K on a mountain, so things can get interesting with communication reasons.

Well, yes. When you order expensive perishable items packed in coolers you had better plan to be home to receive them and store ASAP.

Our UPS and Fedex come anytime between 8 and 6 PM...so that can take a whole day.:LOL:

Much easier when you are retired..

Heh, heh, just thinking: One of the reasons I FIRE'd was so I wouldn't have to BE anyplace at any time. Also, being FIRE'd means NOT needing to wait on partners, stake-holders, peers, suppliers, direct-reports, bosses, etc. etc.

Waiting for FEDX sounds like as much fun as waiting for one of my Megacorp "partners" to complete a requested test or procedure so that I could move ahead with a project. Didn't like waiting then and I don't like waiting now. Looks like the Velveeta will just have to do.:facepalm::angel::blush::LOL: YMMV

Yep, I can do that. Just got the verbal, so will need to get the surveyor and lawyer started and I hope to get it done quick. The guy is a hermit and lives off grid at 8K on a mountain, so things can get interesting with communication reasons.

Wait, you are buying land from "our" Hermit:LOL::LOL::LOL:

it sound exciting when you give us an update can you give the background again, it's been awhile so I don't remember the details.

Heh, heh, just thinking: One of the reasons I FIRE'd was so I wouldn't have to BE anyplace at any time. Also, being FIRE'd means NOT needing to wait on partners, stake-holders, peers, suppliers, direct-reports, bosses, etc. etc.

Waiting for FEDX sounds like as much fun as waiting for one of my Megacorp "partners" to complete a requested test or procedure so that I could move ahead with a project. Didn't like waiting then and I don't like waiting now. Looks like the Velveeta will just have to do.:facepalm::angel::blush::LOL: YMMV
I know and I wasn't even complaining our drivers put on so many miles a day. The route is predetermined by computer daily to make life better for my drivers, who I greatly appreciate.

Do you want something nice to arrive or not?

I don’t mind waiting on a delivery that’s full of amazing goodness that I ordered for our enjoyment. I have the flexibility to do things at home on any given day. No big deal.

Do you want something nice to arrive or not?

"not"

- if I have to wait around for it. Oh, and "nice" is in the eye of the beholder.

And I DO like Velveeta.

The older I've gotten, the less I'm willing to wait for anything. I won't stand in a line for almost anything. I'm not ADHD or overly demanding. It's just that my time is my most precious resource. I don't trade it easily. We're all different and have different standards of quality and value. Enjoy your delivery because YMMV.

life.jpg

PS. I am not getting anything. No waiting, no going out. :)

My turn.

When I travel, especially if I really like the place, I pick up a piece of good jewelry (my other passion). Very portable as souvenirs go. In 2006 DH and I were in Athens and there was a gold cross studded with a few semi-precious stones in the window. It was screaming my name so I bought it. A few years later, unfortunately, the chain must have broken when I was wearing it and I lost both the pendant and the chain but it was the loss of the pendant that really hurt- I just loved the design.

Yesterday I got a banner ad from a place that makes jewelry in Greece. Exquisite and expensive stuff. I looked through the crosses and yes, there it was. If not an exact duplicate it's darn close. Here's the link.

https://athenagaia.com/products/damaskos-roped-billias-flared-cross

I just ordered it. Now I have to stay away from the site before I find something else I can't live without!

Last edited:
That's lovely! I like 18K too, more yellow (gold color) but still tough and durable.

Good Blow - :)

Maybe it still counts as "blow that dough", if it is just splurging on something I wouldn't have splurged on in the past.
I recently bought a very nice squirrel proof bird feeder, and then also got fancy expensive bird seed from the specialty birding store.
My cat Bert especially likes these choices. We call it cat TV when he watches the feeders out the window.
IMG_20210628_201142665.jpg

You can also buy bird seed laced with hot pepper powder. The birds don't notice it but the squirrels take one sniff and run away. Pretty funny to watch.

My turn.

When I travel, especially if I really like the place, I pick up a piece of good jewelry (my other passion). Very portable as souvenirs go. In 2006 DH and I were in Athens and there was a gold cross studded with a few semi-precious stones in the window. It was screaming my name so I bought it. A few years later, unfortunately, the chain must have broken when I was wearing it and I lost both the pendant and the chain but it was the loss of the pendant that really hurt- I just loved the design.

Yesterday I got a banner ad from a place that makes jewelry in Greece. Exquisite and expensive stuff. I looked through the crosses and yes, there it was. If not an exact duplicate it's darn close. Here's the link.

I just ordered it. Now I have to stay away from the site before I find something else I can't live without!
Is that where you got your name?

Is that where you got your name?

Not from that business, but yes, from the Greek goddess of wisdom. It was also the name of a song by The Who that was a favorite of my Ex's.

My turn.

DW got "addicted" to JTV (Jewelry TV). Talk about BTD. Fortunately, she "kicked" the habit a couple of years ago. I never minded her buying "good" jewelry (actual gold, etc.) but the stuff she was buying had no "value" other than the sparkle. DW pointed out that I'm constantly buying (used) DVDs at Goodwill, so I guess we're "even.":facepalm: YMMV

Not from that business, but yes, from the Greek goddess of wisdom. It was also the name of a song by The Who that was a favorite of my Ex's.
Duh, I just realized that Athens would be named after Athena. The Parthenon is dedicated to her. I had associated the Greek goddess with war. And that’s also true, according to Wikipedia Athena is “associated with wisdom, handicraft, and warfare”.

DW got "addicted" to JTV (Jewelry TV). Talk about BTD. Fortunately, she "kicked" the habit a couple of years ago. I never minded her buying "good" jewelry (actual gold, etc.) but the stuff she was buying had no "value" other than the sparkle. DW pointed out that I'm constantly buying (used) DVDs at Goodwill, so I guess we're "even.":facepalm: YMMV

Well, what's wrong with an indulgence, to make life less boring? And if it does not cost much, what harm is there? As for me, I am quite leery about buying "stuff" because of storage space.

My children kept bugging me about what presents to give us, and I finally told them only consumables. And now, my liquor cabinet is full of XO cognacs and other spirits. So, I told them no more booze.

Speaking of a dull boring life, I just recall this song: Fade to Grey.

Feel the rain like an English summer
Hear the notes from a distant song
Stepping out from a back shop poster
Wishing life wouldn't be so long

Well, what's wrong with an indulgence, to make life less boring? And if it does not cost much, what harm is there?

Nothing wrong. Just suggesting DW and I have different ways to BTD. We accept that in each other and occasionally make light of it. YMMV

DW got "addicted" to JTV (Jewelry TV). Talk about BTD. Fortunately, she "kicked" the habit a couple of years ago. I never minded her buying "good" jewelry (actual gold, etc.) but the stuff she was buying had no "value" other than the sparkle. YMMV

Mine is all real but I never think of it as an investment. Most "we buy gold" places will give you about half the meltdown value of the metal. I started VERY early when I was taking actuarial exams- every time I passed one (there were 10 and for awhile I had a winning streak of passing every one on the first try) I'd buy myself a present. It expanded to buying pieces in my travels. I now have a wonderful 1950s- type charm bracelet and sometimes I just buy a charm from the place I'm visiting.

I was showing some of my jewelry to my 4-year old granddaughter, who seems to take an interest in it, and she expressed concern that I was spending all my money on jewelry. A very sensible concern! It was a good time to discuss priorities and budgeting at a 4-year old level.

Last edited:
Mine is all real but I never think of it as an investment. Most "we buy gold" places will give you about half the meltdown value of the metal. I started VERY early when I was taking actuarial exams- every time I passed one (there were 10 and for awhile I had a winning streak of passing every one on the first try) I'd buy myself a present. It expanded to buying pieces in my travels. I now have a wonderful 1950s- type charm bracelet and sometimes I just buy a charm from the place I'm visiting.

I was showing some of my jewelry to my 4-year old granddaughter, who seems to take an interest in it, and she expressed concern that I was spending all my money in jewelry. A very sensible concern! It was a good time to discuss priorities and budgeting at a 4-year old level.

Heh, heh, I'm betting you are starting your GD on her way to FIRE! Good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom