Blow That Dough - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

wmc1000

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Blow that dough - 2022!

Who's going to pull the trigger and get us started this year?

Holy Moly!!
That would of, been the last time my behind would of, been in an aircraft.

I would say someone from above, was with you that day.

I guess my philosophy was "Now I've HAD my bad experience. Things can only get better." So, of course, I went so far as to buy a plane after this incident (plane that went down was a rental.)

The rest of the story was that many years later (long after I gave up flying small aircraft) I got a balloon ride for my birthday. I still lived in the same area and the ballon took off from one end of town and floated toward the other. After crossing the SAME field where the Piper went down, the wind picked up and drove the balloon (now out of fuel) toward a forested area (no place to land.) The balloon pilot dumped the balloon into a guys back yard just in time. Minor injuries ensued.

I now call the spot my "Personal Bermuda Triangle." I visit it each time I return to the mainland. I'm not certain why but it gives me a sense of peace and, as you suggested, makes me think God had something more for me to accomplish in my life. So far, raising 3 kids is the best I can put a finger on, but who knows. Maybe there is a 3rd act yet to come. YMMV

That is interesting!
I don't fly and never have, and I doubt I ever will. In fact, I never been in an aircraft. Not afraid of height or anything like that. Just never did and never had a desire to fly. My wife and son have been all over the sky. Lol

That is interesting!
I don't fly and never have, and I doubt I ever will. In fact, I never been in an aircraft. Not afraid of height or anything like that. Just never did and never had a desire to fly. My wife and son have been all over the sky. Lol

Well, you're in good company. Jackie Gleason, one of the best actors/comedians ever IMHO, also had an aversion to flying. He owned at least one private train car (the "Gleason Express"), and used it exensively. At least once, he chartered an entire train for his staff between New York and Miami.

He was a distant relation to me, so I'm pretty familiar with him. He wasn't called "The Great One" for nothing.

I loved "Jackie" I had an uncle that would have been a twin. He also owned a tavern and was in the liquor business all his life.

I also read "Jonh Madden" never flew either. Not sure why just never did. I guess I'm a odd one. Lol

Wow street, never flown! My career was mostly travelling as an engineer and consultant with Big Oil and then my own business. If I had to guess, I would guess that I have flown commercially about a 1,000 flights in 40 years of business and pleasure travel. And I have a friend with a fully aerobatic Citabria and I have flown with him maybe 15 times.

BUT...once I retired, you won't get me on another flight unless forced to. I hate the whole process.

aja8888 >>>I should have a few times while I was working but worked around it. When I was promoted and moving up through the years, I told them up front I wasn't flying. My career wasn't a worldwide company but meetings and schooling and such where all travel events.

I'm a real homebody and I dislike travel the most of anything in life. Lol
I know that seems odd, but I do not like to travel and just hated meeting that lasted two and three day long.

aja8888 >>>I should have a few times while I was working but worked around it. When I was promoted and moving up through the years, I told them up front I wasn't flying. My career wasn't a worldwide company but meetings and schooling and such where all travel events.

I'm a real homebody and I dislike travel the most of anything in life. Lol
I know that seems odd, but I do not like to travel and just hated meeting that lasted two and three day long.

Believe me, I was not thrilled with all the travel. I'm not much of a pleasure traveler either, and prefer to stay local. But I have been all over the world on business travel and I've seen "enough". When I travel to Connecticut to see what's left of my family, I drive it in three days.

Plans are in place to blow a bit on a motorized raft trip through the Grand Canyon in late May and a bike tour in Croatia in September. I have until June to pull the plug on Croatia and will likely do so if international Covid restrictions remain an issue. Unless things get substantially worse the raft trip is a go.

Plans are in place to blow a bit on a motorized raft trip through the Grand Canyon in late May and a bike tour in Croatia in September. I have until June to pull the plug on Croatia and will likely do so if international Covid restrictions remain an issue. Unless things get substantially worse the raft trip is a go.

We did a bike tour in Croatia years ago and it was fantastic. Hope you don’t have to cancel.

2022 will be an expensive year for Chez Big Dawg. Currently in NW Arkansas dealing with elderly mother (and sister's estate). Next up is St Croix in February for 2 weeks. Roatan diving again in September-all inclusive. The BMX X5 needs some engine work. Guessing 4K for that. The 1983 CJ8 Scrambler is a money pit. The big one is DD getting married in November. Total spend for that will be 30k. 2023 will be another big spend with one month in New Zealand, Tasmania and Fiji. Losing my sister at 59 in Novemeber and now dealing with my fading mother, I am all about blowing the dough on the stuff I want to do while still on the right side of the grass.

Losing my sister at 59 in November and now dealing with my fading mother, I am all about blowing the dough on the stuff I want to do while still on the right side of the grass.

I am sorry you lost your sister. You are not alone. I lost my only sibling when she was in her 50's. Yes, it's a big wake-up call.

We booked some glass blowing lessons at the Chihuly museum for $140. Not much dough < thank you groupon> but certainly some blow.

We booked some glass blowing lessons at the Chihuly museum for $140. Not much dough < thank you groupon> but certainly some blow.

It's certainly blowing. :)

If I do the same, will go home with some abstract glass objects for a souvernir. :)

We did a bike tour in Croatia years ago and it was fantastic. Hope you don’t have to cancel.

Are these organized tours where they take your luggage from town to town while you bike every day?

Do you have links?

Unless Ireland is shutdown or the tour company cancels my friend and I are going in June, 2022. I bought new pots and pans since mine are 30 years old and new dishes.

Are these organized tours where they take your luggage from town to town while you bike every day?

Do you have links?
Yes. DW and I travel with VBT. Top notch accommodations, good food, a support van - the whole nine yards. Croatia is a hilly trip so for the first time we will be riding ebikes. On this particular tour everyone is on ebikes.

Yes. DW and I travel with VBT. Top notch accommodations, good food, a support van - the whole nine yards. Croatia is a hilly trip so for the first time we will be riding ebikes. On this particular tour everyone is on ebikes.

Thanks I browse the site.

Do you know what their surcharge is for e-bikes?

I guess you have to ask for quotes.

We did the trip with VBT as well and I agree it is quite hilly. We did it before E-bikes but I can see why most would opt for them on that trip (and Tuscan Hill towns which has some even steeper hills).

Totaled up implant cost

Dentist.....got my new implanted tooth at location #9. I feel complete now, but minus $5,800 (surgery, bone graft, implant, abutment, tooth). :)

Unless Ireland is shutdown or the tour company cancels my friend and I are going in June, 2022. I bought new pots and pans since mine are 30 years old and new dishes.

We're doing a twice COVID rescheduled Ireland trip in May... if they don't shut it down.

Going out to see a 44 foot trawler. Single 220 HP diesel with hydraulic bow thruster.

Could be the "next one" - :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom