Class of 2019

I’m really torn between March 1 and Sept 1. If I wait those 6 months, I’ll have another $90,000 vested. It doesn’t change my lifestyle one bit, but it would be really nice to donate it to charity.

Still on track to exit somewhere between April and August 2019. Exact date TBD. Mini pension kicks in January 2020. No pension or health benefit incentive to work longer. I've been saving all my take home pay minus what the mini pension amount will be this year as a test run with no problems. I'll be 59 and will have 35 years at MegaCorp at that time in addition to 3 years at previous MegaCorp, and that's enough! FireCalc and all other free retirement calculators that I could find say I'm good to go with a factor of safety of at least 2X. Really looking forward to having control of 100% of my time after planning for this for more than three decades!

Last edited:
I’m really torn between March 1 and Sept 1. If I wait those 6 months, I’ll have another $90,000 vested. It doesn’t change my lifestyle one bit, but it would be really nice to donate it to charity.

I'm looking at March 1

I've been in OMY syndrome for almost 3 years, and I'm thinking of switching from July 2018 (too late) to somewhere between January and June 2019. If I work 0.5 months in 2019, I'll pay no Federal taxes. If I work 3 months in 2019, but max out the 401(k) with catch-up contributions, I'll also pay no Federal taxes. If I wasn't waiting for the time when I can renew my driver's (in July 2019, which I need to do before overseas extended travel), I'd probably FIRE in mid-January.

I'm planning to retire from full time work in 2019 and can't wait for the freedom. Guess that's why I am writing on a Sunday evening - I wish I were off tomorrow, T, W, Th, Friday.

I have already told my boss and a few coworkers .

I get interesting reactions from others.

"Can you afford it ? " "What will you do ? "
My answers "Yes" and "anything I want to do - mostly travel"

What reactions are others getting as 2019 gets close ?

Well I announced last week that I was retiring this coming March. Let’s just say the company turned on me! My Area VP asked if I would consider retiring early or would I consider going part time because they are going to move forward in filling my position! I said no thanks. Now we see what will happen. I’m ready to contact an attorney.

Well I announced last week that I was retiring this coming March. Let’s just say the company turned on me! My Area VP asked if I would consider retiring early or would I consider going part time because they are going to move forward in filling my position! I said no thanks. Now we see what will happen. I’m ready to contact an attorney.

Tell him you will for a fee

Congratulations!

I think I am going to FIRE in 2019 and that means my fiance is all FIRE'd up too. We plan on moving after taking some time to travel around Central and South America and see what we like best. Cost of Living is $1,500/month to $2,000/month where we are looking, so very reasonable and that covers health insurance.

FIRECalc says 100% but is super skinny in terms of wiggle room and if recession hits right after and drains investments accounts I'm withdrawing 4% from, then sadly I will be back tail between legs. Yikes!

It would be so helpful if everyone listed their specific data in terms of anticipated monthly income and planned expenses. Everyone seems to have so much more money (guaranteed even like pensions!) than me, so I'm second guessing myself now. I have $1 million, but plan is using only $800k for 4% withdrawal to live off of.

p.s. I already quit my job. double yikes!

Everyone seems to have so much more money (guaranteed even like pensions!) than me, so I'm second guessing myself now.
There is a large diversity of folks here. But many are/were computer programmers, engineers, teachers and doctors. Thes folks are meticulous, generally speaking, in their retirement planning and research. Most are moderately to very conservative in their assumptions, and they include adequate buffers in their plans (check out threads with OMY, or one more year syndrome). Most advocate a 3-3.5% withdrawal rate, instead of 4%.

Vanguard told me I could retire (with an 86% success rate) a while back. But I'm still working, as I want contingency in my budget for the unkowns in life, and once I give up my six-figure job, I never want to have to go back to work, and don't want the issue to even be close. While each person has their own level of comfort, planning for retirement should (IMHO) provide a buffer for the unkowns, whether they be a roof replacement, a few new dental crowns, replacing a totaled car, or taking up a new hobby. Otherise, (this one's aimed at MMM people), you'll be as imprisoned in your retirement as you were in your working life, having freedom and time, but no money to enjoy things that bring meaning to your life such as extended travel, scuba diving, golf, etc. Extra $ = extra freedom and safety. The best plan is to earn the extra $ early enough to enjoy them! Best wishes!

Last edited:
CurtSeattle,
I agree with HNL Bill - there's alot of diversity in this group.

FYI - I read this forum, and Mr Money Moustache and Bogleheads for more diversity of thought.

You asked for specific data in terms of anticipated monthly income and planned expenses. I'm not sure DH and I have so much more money than others but we are in our early 60's - so fewer years to plan compared to those in 40's or 50's. Yes, DH has a pension and we have rental income.

I'll work 1 more year full time (OMY) which is why I am on this thread.

Basically, we are calculating a basic monthly budget of $4.5k/month which will come from SS, pension, rentals.

We will use IRAs - RMD for travel, replacing cars, etc.
We also have Roth accounts that can be used in retirement when we need income but don't want to raise our marginal. income tax.

I agree- it is a little scary to take the retirement plunge. I hope info on our plan helps your plans.

Sorry Curt. You are not allowed to retire. Read the rules. You are 15 years younger than me, therefore you need to wait.......lol. Congratulations

Sorry Curt. You are not allowed to retire. Read the rules. You are 15 years younger than me, therefore you need to wait.......lol. Congratulations

haha! I'm just getting my place ready for you all to visit!

I hope $800k is enough to fund my future at 4% withdrawal rate until SS hits in 22 years.

haha! I'm just getting my place ready for you all to visit!

I hope $800k is enough to fund my future at 4% withdrawal rate until SS hits in 22 years.

Well, I’m sitting on $1,780,000 and hanging it up in March. I’ll have 12 months to withdraw and still nervous! Yeah, I need help...mental help.

Well, I’m sitting on $1,780,000 and hanging it up in March. I’ll have 12 months to withdraw and still nervous! Yeah, I need help...mental help.

What do you anticipate your monthly expenses at on average? Hopefully, double mine or you are making me even MORE nervous about FIRE'ing early! haha!

2019 - but when ?

I’m really torn between retiring June 30 or December 30 because of several factors. I would like the extra $$ in salary and retirement contributions in last 6 months . However, there is alot of uncertainty at work that may lead to drama.

My boss and I get along well and she would like me to stay to end of 2019. But she could be leaving in June 2019 and I do not have a strong relationship with her next in line.

My money saving habits are still strong - so on one hand it is hard to walk away from the extra $$. One the other hand, I have less tolerance for the work drama.

I have run my situation thru FireCalc and We 'll be ok with choice.

Did anyone here work the last few months and regret it ?

Original plan was 2018, but pushed back (OMY, I know...)

Because of [boring math here] I think 12/1/2019 is the best time. Because of [more boring math] I can go part time next year with no effect on my final pension. So I plan to scale back to 3 days/week for 2019, and say farewell before Christmas.

I think it'll be nice to go on Christmas break -- forever. :)

I pushed things a wee bit forward. I went part time starting this week. I think I'll probably pull the trigger in a year (Oct 2019). I'm now 40% retired, and only work MTW. My new slogan: "Wednesday is the new Friday."
:D

I'm using a planning date just before Thanksgiving 2019.

Plans are coming together well right now.

With some serious workplace changes in store for 2019, I'm now about 90% sure to request early retirement for late spring. Feel like I've been through five years of constant churn, and don't see the point of going through another round of it. :dance:

Need to settle my spouse down a little bit, but she accepts that I'm probably going to do it.

Sad to say, I think we are pushing it out till September. My mom has just been placed in hospice, and I would never forgive myself if she passes away while I go travel for a few months.

So we’re no longer at 4 1/2 months, but rather 10 1/2.

On the bright side, it gives my company another 6 months to hopefully eliminate my job and give me a severance. I wonder how I can put that into their head? :angel:

With some serious workplace changes in store for 2019, I'm now about 90% sure to request early retirement for late spring. Feel like I've been through five years of constant churn, and don't see the point of going through another round of it. :dance:

Need to settle my spouse down a little bit, but she accepts that I'm probably going to do it.

In the same boat as you, as I'm "out of steam" too. I just turned 60 a few months back. Been deciding which month in 2019 to pull the trigger for some time now. My megacorp dept historically does their downsizing in the Fall and unfortunately I didn't win the lottery this year to get an invite to meet with my manager in a conf room where HR is located. Was soooo hoping to get the invite. :facepalm:

So I've decided end of June is it for me. Will give retirement notice after xmas holidays. DW is nervous too but we have more than enough of equity to draw from for another 30 years, along with SS at FRA and small pension I get at 65. Megacorp has a nice retirement benefit that allows me to continue to purchase existing medical/dental/vision at same price as employees until medicare eligibility time. Also have a side hustle teaching a couple of classes at local university that pays pretty well. DW owns her own part-time WFH business that pays well too. We both want something to do that keeps us minimally busy for another 4-5 years, while allowing time to start enjoying retirement. Given that, we feel good about our plans.

According to my countdown timer, i have just under 250 days to go. :dance:

My name is nobody and I’m an addict.
I’m a 46, male, not married, no kids, EE who has had to spend 20 weeks this year on the road for work.

For the last 5 years I have been planning on hanging up the hat on Jan 4, 2019. I paid a FA\CPA at an hourly rate to come up with a plan for me. She gave me the number I needed but didn’t think I would get there by the end 2018, well I got there at May of this year, thanks to a great market. Her number is more conservative then FireCalc. As the last few months get closer I am hitting the not sure if I want to go or not. In my end of the year review, I said if they wanted to keep me around longer then I want to go to 32 hrs a week, little travel and work from home. They agree to all but work from home, they really want me to stay. Tentative plan now is to go part time and give it a run till Feb and then decide if it will be worth it for the rest of the year. 1/3 of my income comes from end of the year bonus. Jan and Feb is not a fun time to be out and about in the Midwest.

I think my problem is going to spending from saving. Been saving and LBYM’s for so long its hard to get used to taking it out and not putting it in.

Breaking news - or at least breaking rumors - for my employment is that mega-corp
evidently is in serious talks to do an asset sale. How these things generally
happen is they deny anything is going on at all until the day they announce the
deal, they lock everyone into position (ring fencing) to prevent a wave of
transfer requests, then the acquirer spends a few months figuring out who they
want to keep as employees and the remainder get transfers or severance
packages. If it happens, it won't be hard to demonstrate to a new owner that
they don't want any part of moi. :angel: Severance template for my tenure is
about 10 months pay.

It's just a rumor, but I could be going a year early, maybe. Good luck could get
me into the 2019 class. :dance:

Back
Top Bottom