Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have to stay a whole month past 2019 (because of my birthday) so I'm actually in 2020, but I will be eavesdropping...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 04:04 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
getting serious - going to start aggressively tracking expenses 1/1/2018 via excel
Sounds like too much work to me. I just take my bi-monthly take-home pay x 26 pay periods per year, and subtract my annual average savings. In this year's case, my annual expenditures should total $44K, unless I go on a buying spree or save much less than last year. I do have a budget that breaks this total down into monthly averages.
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:25 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Realized this morning that I need to start a workplace retirement checklist for things like ensuring access to pay stubs and HR information after retirement, picking health insurance that isn't locally specific (HMO/PPO), etc.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Absolutely in the Class of 2019
Old 05-25-2018, 04:24 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Absolutely in the Class of 2019

Ive picked the year and am now waffling on the date. Either January early, or July 1. My pension annuity is almost $11k more if I wait until the July date - so itís a sub ďone more yearĒ move. With a meaningful gain.

But Iím excited that Iíve locked in 2019!!
Canoesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 03:34 PM   #45
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

met with UBS this morning - they convinced DW that I could retire today if I wanted to

now targeting 1Q 2019
Old 06-04-2018, 03:44 PM   #46

I could be in the clas of 2019 but if I hold out till 2021, it would mean a 12 k additional pension and 2 more years of maxing out 401( k). Are the 2 additional years worth it if I am FI now?
Lawrencewendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 04:18 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrencewendall View Post
I could be in the clas of 2019 but if I hold out till 2021, it would mean a 12 k additional pension and 2 more years of maxing out 401( k). Are the 2 additional years worth it if I am FI now?
To paraphrase,"...time is not equal to money,...you have a limited amount of the former, therefore it is infinately more valuable than money..."

So the real answer to your question is is the time worth the reward?

I'm still exiting mid 2019, unless work quits being fun.

Good luck with your choice.

Mike
aboatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Finally booking seat on Flight 2019!
Old 06-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Finally booking seat on Flight 2019!

Hi all, originally posted the saga a few months ago (link at bottom). Received great responses, more chips have fallen into place since then and am ready to declare for March 2019. See y'all at the gate.

http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...elp-90394.html
cantfindmyglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:56 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

I have chosen Christmas Day 2019 for me!

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2018, 08:09 AM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

I have two retirement clocks fighting on my IPhone. One set at January 5th and one set at July 5th. Both 2019. I was hoping they would fight it out for me and make my decision. July is more money - salary, more vacation and sick to cash out, another 2% on the pension. January is six months of non work freedom in the Sonoran desert winter (which is pretty nice). I make decisions for a living. But here, I am a failure (to date). I’m expecting to get there soon. A January date requires notice, and that notice date would be coming up. But 2019...yes to 2019 after 37 years in my career and 58 years old. I’m ready.
Canoesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 07:34 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
I have chosen Christmas Day 2019 for me!
I'm using a planning date just before Thanksgiving 2019.

Plans are coming together well right now.
Out of Steam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 08:35 PM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

I’m really torn between March 1 and Sept 1. If I wait those 6 months, I’ll have another $90,000 vested. It doesn’t change my lifestyle one bit, but it would be really nice to donate it to charity.
Kelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 03:22 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Still on track to exit somewhere between April and August 2019. Exact date TBD. Mini pension kicks in January 2020. No pension or health benefit incentive to work longer. I've been saving all my take home pay minus what the mini pension amount will be this year as a test run with no problems. I'll be 59 and will have 35 years at MegaCorp at that time in addition to 3 years at previous MegaCorp, and that's enough! FireCalc and all other free retirement calculators that I could find say I'm good to go with a factor of safety of at least 2X. Really looking forward to having control of 100% of my time after planning for this for more than three decades!
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:33 AM   #54
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
Iím really torn between March 1 and Sept 1. If I wait those 6 months, Iíll have another $90,000 vested. It doesnít change my lifestyle one bit, but it would be really nice to donate it to charity.
I'm looking at March 1
Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 PM   #55

I've been in OMY syndrome for almost 3 years, and I'm thinking of switching from July 2018 (too late) to somewhere between January and June 2019. If I work 0.5 months in 2019, I'll pay no Federal taxes. If I work 3 months in 2019, but max out the 401(k) with catch-up contributions, I'll also pay no Federal taxes. If I wasn't waiting for the time when I can renew my driver's (in July 2019, which I need to do before overseas extended travel), I'd probably FIRE in mid-January.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm planning to retire from full time work in 2019 and can't wait for the freedom. Guess that's why I am writing on a Sunday evening - I wish I were off tomorrow, T, W, Th, Friday.

I have already told my boss and a few coworkers .

I get interesting reactions from others.

"Can you afford it ? " "What will you do ? "
My answers "Yes" and "anything I want to do - mostly travel"

What reactions are others getting as 2019 gets close ?
Octogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:35 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Well I announced last week that I was retiring this coming March. Letís just say the company turned on me! My Area VP asked if I would consider retiring early or would I consider going part time because they are going to move forward in filling my position! I said no thanks. Now we see what will happen. Iím ready to contact an attorney.

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridatennisplayer View Post
Well I announced last week that I was retiring this coming March. Letís just say the company turned on me! My Area VP asked if I would consider retiring early or would I consider going part time because they are going to move forward in filling my position! I said no thanks. Now we see what will happen. Iím ready to contact an attorney.

Tell him you will for a fee
JDARNELL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:12 PM   #59
Confused about dryer sheets

Congratulations!

I think I am going to FIRE in 2019 and that means my fiance is all FIRE'd up too. We plan on moving after taking some time to travel around Central and South America and see what we like best. Cost of Living is $1,500/month to $2,000/month where we are looking, so very reasonable and that covers health insurance.

FIRECalc says 100% but is super skinny in terms of wiggle room and if recession hits right after and drains investments accounts I'm withdrawing 4% from, then sadly I will be back tail between legs. Yikes!

It would be so helpful if everyone listed their specific data in terms of anticipated monthly income and planned expenses. Everyone seems to have so much more money (guaranteed even like pensions!) than me, so I'm second guessing myself now. I have $1 million, but plan is using only $800k for 4% withdrawal to live off of.

p.s. I already quit my job. double yikes!
CurtSeattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSeattle View Post
Everyone seems to have so much more money (guaranteed even like pensions!) than me, so I'm second guessing myself now.
There is a large diversity of folks here. But many are/were computer programmers, engineers, teachers and doctors. Thes folks are meticulous, generally speaking, in their retirement planning and research. Most are moderately to very conservative in their assumptions, and they include adequate buffers in their plans (check out threads with OMY, or one more year syndrome). Most advocate a 3-3.5% withdrawal rate, instead of 4%.

Vanguard told me I could retire (with an 86% success rate) a while back. But I'm still working, as I want contingency in my budget for the unkowns in life, and once I give up my six-figure job, I never want to have to go back to work, and don't want the issue to even be close. While each person has their own level of comfort, planning for retirement should (IMHO) provide a buffer for the unkowns, whether they be a roof replacement, a few new dental crowns, replacing a totaled car, or taking up a new hobby. Otherise, (this one's aimed at MMM people), you'll be as imprisoned in your retirement as you were in your working life, having freedom and time, but no money to enjoy things that bring meaning to your life such as extended travel, scuba diving, golf, etc. Extra $ = extra freedom and safety. The best plan is to earn the extra $ early enough to enjoy them! Best wishes!