Class of 2019

June 2019 last day for DW. RV cross country E-W begins that fall. I will work from the road that year and end at the first sign of setback. fall of 2020 will begin slow travel overseas, and I anticipate my 1 more year syndrome will be over by then, if not it wont last much longer with the next travel phase.

Hello to other 2019'ers. Have been on the fence awhile about dates but looking now to a June 1, 2019 date as a 56 year old. Could likely do it now but my more careful nature likes the idea of some additional cushion. It also gives me 4 more bonus cycles to help the nest egg.

I'll definitely be working on a glide path ensuring I'm taking vacations more aggressively and taking care of any medical needs before I retire. I'm expecting the biggest challenge to be the OMY syndrome as I get closer.

Officially add me to the class of 2019 shooting for June if I last that long

We have been living on my military retirement for more than a year now while banking our entire salaries so it literally has been OMY for a while. Making it to January 2019 provides access to my TSP and lasting to June vests me in the agency automatic 1%

Mike

Targeting October 4, 2019 at the absolute latest. I'll be 59 3/4 at that time. May be much sooner depending on the work stress ratio in the coming months. Already FI, just adding a little more cushion to the nest.

Last edited:
getting serious - going to start aggressively tracking expenses 1/1/2018 via excel

I might as well joint this class, 48 and planning to graduate 12-31-2019!!!! DW is tracking all expenses for the next six months.

I'm saying class of 2019, though my retirement date could slip a couple of months into 2020.

Joining the class of 2019. My wife retired in December and we are moving to our (my future) Retirement Home in South Carolina in 6 weeks. I am in IT so have been approved to work from new home. The date that I have communicated to my boss is 6/30/2019 which coincides, hopefully, with my system finally being replaced. I will be 57 at that time with 27 years at megacorp.

I don't write much but read this forum at least 3 times a week. This has been a very useful tool preparing me for the next chapter..Currently I am in Law Enforcement and after seeing another friend get killed in the line of duty recently, I am ready. My wife (Of 35 years this year)can't handle much more and wants me out and I am done. Put me for March 2nd. 2019..

Ran the numbers and showed them to DW. We can easily afford to retire next year. I'll be 55 early 2019.

She's on board with the financials it's just the idea of me being home every day that concerns her.

I'm going with my 53rd birthday in January 2019, if the market doesn't tank by then!

Original plan was 2018, but pushed back (OMY, I know...)

Because of [boring math here] I think 12/1/2019 is the best time. Because of [more boring math] I can go part time next year with no effect on my final pension. So I plan to scale back to 3 days/week for 2019, and say farewell before Christmas.

I think it'll be nice to go on Christmas break -- forever. :)

I have to stay a whole month past 2019 (because of my birthday) so I'm actually in 2020, but I will be eavesdropping...

getting serious - going to start aggressively tracking expenses 1/1/2018 via excel

Sounds like too much work to me. I just take my bi-monthly take-home pay x 26 pay periods per year, and subtract my annual average savings. In this year's case, my annual expenditures should total $44K, unless I go on a buying spree or save much less than last year. I do have a budget that breaks this total down into monthly averages.

Realized this morning that I need to start a workplace retirement checklist for things like ensuring access to pay stubs and HR information after retirement, picking health insurance that isn't locally specific (HMO/PPO), etc.

Absolutely in the Class of 2019

Ive picked the year and am now waffling on the date. Either January early, or July 1. My pension annuity is almost $11k more if I wait until the July date - so it’s a sub “one more year” move. With a meaningful gain.

But I’m excited that I’ve locked in 2019!!

met with UBS this morning - they convinced DW that I could retire today if I wanted to

now targeting 1Q 2019

I could be in the clas of 2019 but if I hold out till 2021, it would mean a 12 k additional pension and 2 more years of maxing out 401( k). Are the 2 additional years worth it if I am FI now?

I could be in the clas of 2019 but if I hold out till 2021, it would mean a 12 k additional pension and 2 more years of maxing out 401( k). Are the 2 additional years worth it if I am FI now?
To paraphrase,"...time is not equal to money,...you have a limited amount of the former, therefore it is infinately more valuable than money..."

So the real answer to your question is is the time worth the reward?

I'm still exiting mid 2019, unless work quits being fun.

Good luck with your choice.

Mike

I have two retirement clocks fighting on my IPhone. One set at January 5th and one set at July 5th. Both 2019. I was hoping they would fight it out for me and make my decision. July is more money - salary, more vacation and sick to cash out, another 2% on the pension. January is six months of non work freedom in the Sonoran desert winter (which is pretty nice). I make decisions for a living. But here, I am a failure (to date). I’m expecting to get there soon. A January date requires notice, and that notice date would be coming up. But 2019...yes to 2019 after 37 years in my career and 58 years old. I’m ready.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom