Class of 2019

If our plan collapses, there's always the oldest profession

Anyhow, congrats! And enjoy. I'm assuming you're both well-prepared....!

Thanks. I think we're as prepared as we can reasonably be. Purpose: I know what I want to do with my newfound freedom and energy, even after all that transition stuff is done.

Health: I will have time to do more exercise (a whole nother topic of discussion). The retirement house is configured to handle modest increases in disability even if DW's MS accelerates.

Financial: FIRECalc gives us 100% success at 170% of our likely spend (20% of which is purely discretionary). If everything crashes and burns I will admit defeat and sell my body to [-]the night[/-] science.

okay, my last day is set for jan 3rd, then i'll stay on ad hoc hourly after that, from home

i'm calling this class of 2019 since I have to be employed 12/31/19 to get my PS contribution

FINALLY

Three work days left after today - then off on comp time to run out the clock on 12/23. It feels - weird, scary and wonderful. Big retirement party on Friday, folks coming from far and wide - then the company Xmas party Saturday. Then my first non work Monday on the 9th.

All my $/fun ducks are in a row, except how I am supposed to feel. I will get there though - I have no doubt!

Three work days left after today - then off on comp time to run out the clock on 12/23. It feels - weird, scary and wonderful. Big retirement party on Friday, folks coming from far and wide - then the company Xmas party Saturday. Then my first non work Monday on the 9th.

All my $/fun ducks are in a row, except how I am supposed to feel. I will get there though - I have no doubt!

Sounds like you're going out in style. It's an epic time in your life, be sure to enjoy it and get lots of pictures/videos!

When I left the office in August as an employee of 25 years, I took my time and looked around before walking out that door. Had some bittersweet feelings remembering all the good times, and felt a little worried that I'd miss the office or feel guilty/anxious about not working. But when that first Monday came, nope! I didn't miss it at all and haven't since! No guilt, no anxiety, none of that. Every day just feels like a Saturday or Sunday!

Congrats Canoesmith.......

My last day is set for Dec 19th, (party for me on Dec 13th- tho I don't really like the idea)

then after holidays I'll stay on per diem from home.

Can't wait to be done full time work. I was ambivalent earlier this Fall, but several friends have become ill and I take it as a sign to GET OUT while I have my health.

DH is thrilled ....I may feel differently in March

No longer 2019...OMY set in

Well, I've had some time to play and currently experimenting with career options. Currently, working harder than I want but enjoying the nicer weather.

Originally, before reading various forums, counting all the nickels, and reviewing expenses, I was just hopeful of targeting age 55.

Now, after a few years, I am targeting 2019, either age 49 or age 50 depending on time of year. I will be a landlord, somewhat, so it'll be semi-ER, but it'll give me alot of ME time with the family and myself. :D

5 years from now seems long, but better than 2024 which I was previously thinking.

I'm getting booted from the Class of 2019. :(:(:( I'm still targeting before 55, so I have a few years to OMY! I'm still enjoying most of the w*rk and learning new technology, so it's a bit fun.

As for the OMY, I have several countdown clocks for several $$ milestones.

From Dec 2019... countdown milestones:
4 months away - Mar 2020 Bonus and RSU vesting
9 months away - Aug 2020 eight week paid sabbatical and RSU vesting
16 months away - Mar 2021 Bonus and RSU vesting
21 months away - Aug 2021 RSU vesting
28 months away - Mar 2022 Bonus and RSU vesting

So, Mar 2022 might be FIRE for me as the next milestone would be Mar 2023, too long to wait. It would still be before my 53rd birthday, so I'm content for now. If the BS bucket overflows, then I can be done.

Last edited:
Mr. Simple Girl is finally retiring, with his last day of work being Dec 31, 2019. Sooooo...does that mean we are in the class of 2019 or 2020? :D

Either way, we are for sure going to finally be in the fully FIRED club! :dance:

Mr. Simple Girl is finally retiring, with his last day of work being Dec 31, 2019. Sooooo...does that mean we are in the class of 2019 or 2020? :D

Either way, we are for sure going to finally be in the fully FIRED club! :dance:

2019 for sure - I'm claiming class of 2019 since 1/3 is just the end of the first week after 12/31

And I won't be staying the whole shift, either

Mr. Simple Girl is finally retiring, with his last day of work being Dec 31, 2019. Sooooo...does that mean we are in the class of 2019 or 2020?

2019 for sure - I'm claiming class of 2019 since 1/3 is just the end of the first week after 12/31

I agree with Big_Hitter. The instant I exit the gate on 31 Dec I will be retired. Since it will be well before midnight, that constitutes Retired in 2019.

I agree with Big_Hitter. The instant I exit the gate on 31 Dec I will be retired. Since it will be well before midnight, that constitutes Retired in 2019.

That's it, then, we are claiming class of 2019 with you all!
:D:dance::dance::dance:

Joined class of 2019 as of Dec 1

Another member of the class of 2019. Employment ended at end of November. So far, retired for 5 days. Water feels fine.

So Its cocktail and cigar time on my patio here in north Scottsdale and I guess Im completing my first week of retirement if I measure Time in work days.

And I don't know what I am feeling.

Certainly it has been a leisurely week. It is sort of like vacation but vacation in the past always meant going somewhere or doing something “special”. I know I will figure it out, but this first week has been a bit in the fog for me.

Anyone relate?

Congrats to all 2019 graduates, it has been 3 months for me and I am glad to be a part of it at the age of 50 !!!

Attachments

• 162E130D-51F0-43A1-9BA8-4296A316D856.jpeg
    162E130D-51F0-43A1-9BA8-4296A316D856.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 40
So Its cocktail and cigar time on my patio here in north Scottsdale and I guess Im completing my first week of retirement if I measure Time in work days.

Certainly it has been a leisurely week. It is sort of like vacation but vacation in the past always meant going somewhere or doing something “special”. I know I will figure it out, but this first week has been a bit in the fog for me.

Anyone relate?
Oh yes, we can all relate for sure. Kind of like graduating from high school or maybe college. Bittersweet. The quote about the ‘journey vs the destination’ rings true. It’s all good, we earned it and we all deserve it. I quit in February and never looked back. Take a road trip and get the living started. Here’s to 27% stock market returns for the year! Enjoy!

Oh, I relate!

Anyone relate?

I felt the same way...and still do, somewhat. I keep thinking that it's vacation and I'll have to go to work on Monday. I haven't, since the middle of August.

But lately I've been saying to my hubby (who retired the same day I did) "Hey, honey, guess what? It's Monday, and it's 10:00, and THEY (our former coworkers) are working, and WE are going to the club to exercise/going for a hike in a beautiful park/hanging around reading newspapers at a coffee shop..."

It's finally beginning to set in that I can do anything I want, whenever I want - within my budget, of course, but my time is my own. "My time is my own" - what an amazing statement!

You might want to find something to do to keep you occupied during those first months while you start setting a new time reality. I had to do this (schedule exercise, schedule coffee shop dates with hubby, etc.) so I didn't feel "lost", which I did the first couple of months, and still do, to some extent. It will take a while for me, but since it actually IS my new reality, I need to figure out what to do with myself, even if it's only to do whatever I want.

P.S. I'm not very good at saying what I mean about all this, I think because I'm still figuring it out - sorry (smile!)

It will go something like this...

"I can see clearly now the rain is gone
I can see all obstacles in my way
Gone are the dark clouds that had me blind
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day
It's gonna be a bright (bright)
Bright (bright) sunshiny day"

Johnny Nash

I don't feel completely retired yet: My spouse has been implored to continue working through January. Anyone else have this feeling of being "on hold" after retirement due to a spouse's plans to retire just a short period of time later?

A couple of surprises 2 1/2 months into retirement.

Biggest is that I'm having to work at keeping my physical activity up. Simply walking in from the parking lot, getting lunch, and stretching my legs was worth 5000 steps a day.

Second is that being able to concentrate on my personal business is very useful.

Back
Top Bottom