Golf Talk Tuesdays - 2021

I've played a lot in Vegas, Reflection Bay is very nice. All the Paiute courses are excellent. Always wanted to play Bear's Best will give it a second thought based on your review. I'll look into Rio Secco.

Yep. Bear's best is not "bad"; it's just not remarkable. Although, the mega-mansions around it (well set back) are mesmerizing! But, the same can be said of Rio Secco, which is a better course. I travel to LV once a year to play with my buddies and we go to St George most of the time, usually with a LV round or two at the beginning or end. I highly recommend the St George courses: Sand Hollow, Copper Rock, Sky Mountain; better bang for the buck. There's a new one (Black Desert), which I haven't played but, hear great things about, and know a guy who can get you on if you're interested. Happy golfing!

Last edited:
Yep. Bear's best is not "bad"; it's just not remarkable. Although, the mega-mansions around it (well set back) are mesmerizing! But, the same can be said of Rio Secco, which is a better course. I travel to LV once a year to play with my buddies and we go to St George most of the time, usually with a LV round or two at the beginning or end. I highly recommend the St George courses: Sand Hollow, Copper Rock, Sky Mountain; better bang for the buck. There's a new one (Black Desert), which I haven't played but, hear great things about, and know a guy who can get you one if you're interested. Happy golfing!

Yes, I've been to St. George and Mesquite. I've played Wolf Creek, Conestoga, Oasis Palmer, Sand Hollow, Sky Mountain, Falcon Ridge. It's my favorite area for golf, but man it's pricey.

Golf Watch Question

Did a search of this thread but didn't see anything to help with my question. I had to get rid of my Garmin Vivoactive 2 after many years of wear, which I used for GPS distances to middle of green and keeping score, as well as tracking data on the many other fitness activities I do such like walking/running/hiking. The Vivoactive sensor on the back caused an extremely red and tender spot on my skin, plus battery would barely last for a round of golf. Took nearly 2 months for the red spot on my skin to finally disappear. I'm guessing the sensor was misbehaving. Anyway, I find myself needing a replacement of some type and thought I would ask for opinions.

Looking at 3 options: splurge for the Garmin Approach S70 (maybe it will go on sale this holiday), get the new Pixel Watch 2 (currently on sale) to work with one of the golf apps like 18Birdies/Hole19/SwingU running on my Pixel 7 Pro, or buy a golf laser rangefinder.

All have their pros & cons.
For 1st option, I want to get Garmin brand and think the new S70 is far superior to the S62, offers lots of features I didn't get with my Vivoactive 2, and can still track other fitness activities. Hopefully the sensor on the back would not cause a repeat of the bad experience with my skin.
For 2nd option, seems like I'd be constantly taking my phone out of my pocket to interact with the app and not sure I'd like that, as I usually leave my phone in the golf cart. This would be the least expensive option.
For 3rd option, I'd still need to buy PW2 for smart phone purposes and to track my fitness activities. This would be the most expensive option.

TIA!

I received the S62 as a gift when it first came out. I have liked it a lot. I imagine that you would enjoy the S70. I have not had any issues with the sensor and wear it from morning to night.

Got to play Pinehurst #4 last week for the first time, what a treat. A beautiful course (even in winter), first class facility and staff, a perfect weather day for Dec, with three of my best golf friends. Even though I only played fair, I could not have enjoyed the day more. I'll go back, and even stay on property next time - expensive but worth every penny.

Got to play Pinehurst #4 last week for the first time, what a treat. A beautiful course (even in winter), first class facility and staff, a perfect weather day for Dec, with three of my best golf friends. Even though I only played fair, I could not have enjoyed the day more. I'll go back, and even stay on property next time - expensive but worth every penny.

You should play Pinehurst #2 with a caddy, I have done that twice in my life. Great experience.

You should play Pinehurst #2 with a caddy, I have done that twice in my life. Great experience.
I am sure we’ll play #2 and #8 in time, maybe #10 too (the other upcharge course). I actually most wanted to play #4 because I’d read it was just as nice as #2 with less severe “crowned” greens.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom