How do you order your steak?

How do you order your steak?

• VERY RARE (a good veterinarian could save it)

Votes: 4 2.9%
  • RARE

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • MEDIUM RARE

Votes: 57 41.9%
  • MEDIUM

Votes: 31 22.8%
  • MEDIUM WELL

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • WELL

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • VERY WELL (possibly still on fire)

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • DON'T EAT STEAK/DON'T EAT OUT/DON'T KNOW

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • OTHER (for those who need this choice)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Westernskies

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The thread about restauraunts undercooking/overcooking steaks made me wonder what the distribution of orders would be in the FIRE population. DW likes hers rare, I am a medium-to medium well guy. Whenever we entertain or eat out with friends, it seems the men usually like theirs a little more done than the women?

Well done.... no pink, but still juicy.

I figured out how to use the searing function on my BBQ and I achieve the perfect results every time.

Want me to add a poll to the thread, Westernskies? It might be easier to see the percentages then...

I order mediam well.

What I mean is pink in the center or better. Red in the center is not okay with me and I will usually ask to have it cooked a bit more. Cooked more than that is okay with me, even up to well done, so I never have to send anything back because it was overcooked.

I've heard lots of those kitchen horror stories, so I hope that since all I'm asking for is a few minutes of cooking and not asking for any replacement food that I'll not have to worry about foreign objects in my dinner. I did work in a kitchen for a couple years when I was in college and I NEVER saw anyone adulterate any food. OTOH, if I did I would probably have made sure they got fired on the spot, so maybe they hid that kind of behavior from me.

I order mediam well.

What I mean is pink in the center or better. Red in the center is not okay with me and I will usually ask to have it cooked a bit more. Cooked more than that is okay with me, even up to well done, so I never have to send anything back because it was overcooked.

I've heard lots of those kitchen horror stories, so I hope that since all I'm asking for is a few minutes of cooking and not asking for any replacement food that I'll not have to worry about foreign objects in my dinner. I did work in a kitchen for a couple years when I was in college and I NEVER saw anyone adulterate any food. OTOH, if I did I would probably have made sure they got fired on the spot, so maybe they hid that kind of behavior from me.

I worked in a big industrial cafeteria for a year in HS, had a blowhard who was always the first in line; he had to have that "first scoop of mashed potatoes" out of the steam table .. The servers usually tried to give him a bit more than he bargained for...:yuk::yuk:

I like mine well done, but medium well per the wiki article would suffice. Just a hint of pink in the very center so the meat doesn't get dry. I like the seared taste on the outside and dislike the bloody taste of rare meat. Some of the most disgusting cuts of meat I have had were filet mignon cooked medium rare but had a solid 1" thick section in the middle that was still emitting tiny little moos (and lots of oozing room temperature blood).

My last steak experience was in Vegas, where they have $7 steak dinners 24/7 at a little hole in the wall place I like. Well, we actually had steak there 3x. Well done there = burnt to a crisp and dried out. Medium well = well done, no pink or very very little. The medium rare folks actually got a different cut of meat that was thicker in the z direction, and shorter in the x and y direction, so more pink/red in the middle.

Medium at cut rate places like Outback (they always undercook it a little) and Medium Rare at a good steakhouse.

My favorite steakhouse has the following

Blue - Cold red center
Rare - Cool red center
Medium Rare - Warm red center
Medium - hot pink center
Medium Well - A trace of pink
Well - NOT RECOMMENDED

*All Kobe Beef is not guaranteed if ordered Medium Well or over*

The best menu descriptor I have seen:

WELL DONE: It's your steak.

Like mine medium, DH likes his a bit pinker. He ususally takes the bigger steak so it all works out well on the grill. Natch, we are purists who go for the traditional charcoal grill over those newfangled gas contraptions.

BTW Westernskies, any progress on the Tiki Bar next to your cement pond? ;)

Here is a visual link I also posted on the other steak forum.

http://www.colinmcnulty.com/blog/images/cook-a-steak-blue-rare-medium-welldone.jpg

I think I have seen some restaurants with the warning that they are not responsible for steaks that are ordered well done, whatever that caveat means.

I like mine medium. Last time I was in France in March, I ordered a medium, got a blue rare (according to this link), and was sick as a dog for the next 3 days. Ever fly 12 hours when you are sick? No fun. But from what I hear (from my French colleagues) is that you never send anything back for extra cooking in France...or it comes back with even more creepy crawlies. Wonder what it would have looked like if I had ordered rare or blue rare at that joint (...wipe his @$$ and send him on out??).

R

Of course it is not just how well it is cooked but also the grade of beef. The lower grades at cheaper restaurants I don't think it matter how you cook it. The higher grades at higher restaurants are going to whack you at least $20-$25+ for a new york strip or whatever. Then I think one becomes more particular.

How USDA Beef is Graded | Why Prime Steaks Are So Tender and Flavorful

Personnally, I think the chopped sirloin (shaped like a little football) with a little au jus gravy is a wonderful choice. Those went out of style in the 1970's I think. All the good hotels had it on the menu at one time.

Medium-rare to medium is fine by me, but I don't eat much steak. Most of the places that fit my [-]cheap-assed[/-] frugal nature serve steak that's mostly fat and gristle... Usually I just order a tenderloin.

Costco has good ribeyes, though.

Medium rare is my normal request but according to the "favorite steakouse" of Leonidas I actually like it medium. I want it all hot and pink! :)

My dad would have liked to skip all the cooking stuff and just bite the cow in the barn! :ROFLMAO:

Well done.... no pink, but still juicy.

I figured out how to use the searing function on my BBQ and I achieve the perfect results every time.

all those who eat steak are waiting for details......:D

I like some pink, so I order medium. I don't want my steak quivering on the plate or dressed for a funeral.;)

Back
Top Bottom