Just can't quit

Mr._johngalt

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have written before about my frequent urges to do some actual
"work". It is getting easier to resist but never quite goes away.
Lately, I have just been buying and selling personal property to pick
up pocket money. I enjoy it but there is the risk of it becoming
a "job".

Yesterday, I was at a marina and noticed a whole pile of small boats,
motors and trailers in the "bone yard" behind their shop. I offered them a lowball number to take away the whole lot. When I gave them my number they just laughed (that's good). They are calling me tomorrow with their figure. Expect I will end up buying this stuff. Figure I can
double my money easily.

JG

I guess I'd call it an income-generating hobby if you do it for fun, including the fun associated with the challenge of finding such opportunities.

I'd call it work if you do it instead of things you'd rather do because you value the income it produces more than you value the other, non-income producing, activities.

dory36

Although, I have not worked (unofficially ) for only 4 months. I would have no problem working 2 to 5 hours a week earning $20 to $40 per hour risk free.
Although I think they'll dry up for me soon, I participated in another 2 hour IT focus group with 2 hours of travel time. I got $200 for it. It was easy "work" and I got fed as well.

dory36 said:
I guess I'd call it an income-generating hobby if you do it for fun, including the fun associated with the challenge of finding such opportunities.

I'd call it work if you do it instead of things you'd rather do because you value the income it produces more than you value the other, non-income producing, activities.

dory36

Aye matey. That's the conundrum. With me it's kind of visceral as I see
opportunities all around. I have to watch myself so as not to turn
fun hobbies into annoying distractions. DW is no help as she thinks everything is "easy".

JG

JG

dory36 said:

dory36

Dory: I agree, and therin lies the rub.
I have seen countless posts on this board from folks in their 50's that would have no problem funding their retirements, but have no idea what to do with their time afterwards.
Largely in part because of my twin activities, (obsessions?) of golf and fly-fishing, I've never been tempted to "waste" my time with either part-time, or full time work in the 19 years I've been retired.
Furthermore, I can't recall a conversation with any of the guys I play golf with where that subject comes up.
Work, part-time or not destroys the "cadence" of golf and fly-fishing bums. ;)

Jarhead

ex-Jarhead said:
Dory:  I agree, and therin lies the rub.
I have seen countless posts on this board from folks in their 50's that would have no problem funding their retirements, but have no idea what to do with their time afterwards.
Largely in part because of my twin activities, (obsessions?) of golf and fly-fishing, I've never been tempted to "waste" my time with either part-time, or full time work in the 19 years I've been retired.
Furthermore, I can't recall a conversation with any of the guys I play golf with where that subject comes up.
Work, part-time or not destroys the "cadence" of golf and fly-fishing bums. ;)

Jarhead

Jarhead is right. Even though my "major" hobbies (hunting and motorcycles)
have dropped off, every day is loaded. DW teases me about my long to-do list,
but hey............fishing and taking naps, etc is why I am retired. Anyway, I am sure
that (like Jarhead) many folks are never "tempted". I am tempted
daily and so need to be alert. The money has nothing to do with it. It's
hardwired into my brain to look for "deals". Believe me, I have dodged
some major bullets since I ERed (avoiding time consuming projects).

JG

ex-Jarhead said:
You're correct. While I haven't begun travelling yet (I plan to begin a lot of travelling within 6 months), I have be hanging around the house doing normal stuff. I have work to do around the house which I don't particularly enjoy doing. Right now, if it was possible, I would rather work 5 hours a week making $200 so I can pay someone $20/hour to do small jobs around the house. That would be a saving of 5 hours for me. I would not use that rationale to go back to work part time (15+ hours). That would be too much (I think?).

Heck, what do I know, I am only a novice retiree.

MJ

I guess, I am not an ER purist.

Not only can I quit, I haven't even started!

MJ said:
I have work to do around the house which I don't particularly enjoy doing. Right now, if it was possible, I would rather work 5 hours a week making $200  so I can pay someone $20/hour to do small jobs around the house.
One of the reasons we've tackled so many handyman jobs over the last five years is because contractors/handymen are in such short supply around here. It's usually easier (and certainly less frustrating) to learn how to do it yourself, and with Home Depot-type classes it's frequently cheaper.

But until we get really frustrated again trying to find a contractor, we think we'll hire out the new concrete lanai, the backyard steps, and anything involving oxy-acetylene torches...

R_K said:
I've been on a home fix-r-up binge lately, everything from painting, to fence building, to masonry. Gotta get ready to put it on the market next year.

I don't greatly enjoy the work, but it does make me feel productive.  I wonder a little about needing that productivity fix...this seems to be deeply ingrained after all the years of employment.  I'm not sure how well I'll adapt to ER without that feeling of satisfaction one gets from completing a task, even an annoying one.  How conditioned is that?   :p

Anyway, I'd rather do a simple job my self (in effect getting paid tax-free) rather than trading regular (taxed)
income for the labor.   :)

I have the worst possible situation, i.e. very fussy about everything
in and around our home and not a "handy bone" in my body. If I want
any chance of liking the outcome, I have to hire it done.

JG

Re: Not only can I quit, I haven't even started!

Nords said:
One of the reasons we've tackled so many handyman jobs over the last five years is because contractors/handymen are in such short supply around here.  It's usually easier (and certainly less frustrating) to learn how to do it yourself, and with Home Depot-type classes it's frequently cheaper.

But until we get really frustrated again trying to find a contractor, we think we'll hire out the new concrete lanai, the backyard steps, and anything involving oxy-acetylene torches...

Nords: I think the short supply of craftsmen willing to do small jobs is pretty common everywhere.
But my wife has come to the conclusion that I am harder to pin down then any of those guys. ;)

Most Real Estate Offices keep a pretty good list of guys that they use, and getting in with them, as my wife has done, works pretty well.

I used to tackle any job whether I knew what I was doing or not. (Mostly not).
My new tactic is "I have no idea, call Earl".

We've had several threads on this board devoted to answering the questions, "What do you do all day?" or "Aren't you too young to retire?" etc. Most posters seem to get pretty definant and let it be known that they don't care what people think. I agree with the sentiment. I don't owe anyone my life as a wage slave. I chose a lifestyle that allows me to do what I want and that's what I'm going to do.

On the other hand, whenever someone suggests spending some of their post career life with an activity that might make some money, we tend to hear a bunch of stuff about how this kind of activity is beneath them. They are far too busy posting on this board and pursuing their interests to lower themselves to "work". I would suggest that anyone who finds it rewarding to spend some of their time doing things in exchange for money should be just as defiant. I don't owe anyone my life in a hammock. I chose a lifestyle that allows me to do what I want and that's what I'm going to do.
:D :D :D

SG, you're spot on. The key is you do it because YOU WANT TO do it, and you have the wherewithal to quit when you don't want to do it. Big difference in perspective.

- SG said:
On the other hand, whenever someone suggests spending some of their post career life with an activity that might make some money, we tend to hear a bunch of stuff about how this kind of activity is beneath them. They are far too busy posting on this board and pursuing their interests to lower themselves to "work". I would suggest that anyone who finds it rewarding to spend some of their time doing things in exchange for money should be just as defiant. I don't owe anyone my life in a hammock. I chose a lifestyle that allows me to do what I want and that's what I'm going to do.
I agree. The whole point is to live the life you enjoy right? Though I'm tired of my main occupation, I would have no problem with getting paid for something I actually enjoy doing. "Work" doesn't have to be a dirty word. :eek:

[
motors and trailers in the "bone yard" behind their shop.  I offered them a lowball number to take away the whole lot.  When I gave them my number they just laughed (that's good).  They are calling me tomorrow with their figure.  Expect I will end up buying this stuff.  Figure I can
double my money easily. 

JG

Illiinois does not title outboard motors, but it does title boats and
trailers; I assume that you will receive legal title to these items?

As someone who currently owns in excess of 150 outboard motors
(literally; dating from 1918 to 1979) and 8 boats, I will be real interested
in how you intend to "double your money."

There is a reason that these items are abandoned by their owners of
record.

Work is work. My way of thinking on this is as described in "your money or your life". You can make an itemized list comparing the attributes of a job to another activity you do for fun, and they are similar in every single respect except one; you're paid to do a job.

JG, by all means if you enjoy it, take part in those entrepeneur opportunities. But that's work no matter how you shake a stick at it. Nothing wrong with liking your job.

Me? I'm not doing anything i'm paid for when I can afford to retire...... unless someone's going to pay me to play tennis, fish, work out, walk in parks, and go on vacations.

capricious said:
[
motors and trailers in the "bone yard" behind their shop.  I offered them a lowball number to take away the whole lot.  When I gave them my number they just laughed (that's good).  They are calling me tomorrow with their figure.  Expect I will end up buying this stuff.  Figure I can
double my money easily. 

JG

Illiinois does not title outboard motors, but it does title boats and
trailers;  I assume that you will receive legal title to these items?

As someone who currently owns in excess of 150 outboard motors
(literally; dating from 1918 to 1979) and 8 boats, I will be real interested
in how you intend to "double your money." 

There is a reason that these items are abandoned by their owners of
record.

Happy to answer your query. First, this is a dealer. He says he has titles for everything (I might still buy with no titles, but will leave that alone for now).
These were not "abandoned" by their owners. I expect the dealer took them in on trade. Since they are just lying outside in a pile, I assume he has no plans for them. He is very busy and mostly sells bigger expensive boats.
Sooooooooo, he is not marketing these old tubs at all and I come along
offering to clean up his property. Now comes the fun part. I mix and match
boats, motors, trailers, etc and run free/cheap ads locally. These boats can all
be used in the river where I live. Some youngsters with no money and no boat
will buy them for fishing. Of all the stuff I have bought and sold since ER,
I've made more money with less effort on boats, etc than anything else.

JG

" I mix and match
boats, motors, trailers, etc and run free/cheap ads locally." 

Got to haul all of this stuff off the dealer's lot; gotta store
it all somewhere; gotta put quite a bit of labor into re-rigging
outboards on different hulls, maybe (certainly) repairs to
rotted floors/transoms; trailer tires/bearings/ lights

Do you do upholstery work? 

What about outboard repairs?

" Of all the stuff I have bought and sold since ER,
I've made more money with less effort on boats, etc than anything else."

Well, you just destroyed your credibility with me;  you may have made
an occasional "deal" on buying and selling the occasional boat, but
what you are talking about here is something altogether different.

How do I know? 

Because I have tried it.

And you ain't the first "wheeler-dealer" to take a liking to this
dealers "back lot junk:"  chances are I was there a while ago.

And I was not the first.

By the way, there is currently a notice posted on the interenet
from a dealer who is giving away (FREE) boats and trailers from
his back lot, about 250 miles from you (a lot closer to me).  After
I check it out (need just a couple decent rebuildable trailers)  I
will post a link to this notice on this board. 

Had intended to go over there yesterday, but then had the
opportunity to go boating with some friends on the Mississippi
so I plan on having a look at the trailer pile next Sat.

What you are going to end up with is a pile of junk fiberglass
boats that will end up costing cash$$$$ in order to dispose of
in a legal manner.

Been there and done that.

capricious said:
" I mix and match
boats, motors, trailers, etc and run free/cheap ads locally." 

Got to haul all of this stuff off the dealer's lot; gotta store
it all somewhere; gotta put quite a bit of labor into re-rigging
outboards on different hulls, maybe (certainly) repairs to
rotted floors/transoms; trailer tires/bearings/ lights

Do you do upholstery work? 

What about outboard repairs?

" Of all the stuff I have bought and sold since ER,
I've made more money with less effort on boats, etc than anything else."

Well, you just destroyed your credibility with me;  you may have made
an occasional "deal" on buying and selling the occasional boat, but
what you are talking about here is something altogether different.

How do I know? 

Because I have tried it.

And you ain't the first "wheeler-dealer" to take a liking to this
dealers "back lot junk:"  chances are I was there a while ago.

And I was not the first.

By the way, there is currently a notice posted on the interenet
from a dealer who is giving away (FREE) boats and trailers from
his back lot, about 250 miles from you (a lot closer to me).  After
I check it out (need just a couple decent rebuildable trailers)  I
will post a link to this notice on this board. 

Had intended to go over there yesterday, but then had the
opportunity to go boating with some friends on the Mississippi
so I plan on having a look at the trailer pile next Sat.

What you are going to end up with is a pile of junk fiberglass
boats that will end up costing cash$$$$ in order to dispose of
in a legal manner.

Been there and done that.

Man you are way off the beam here (or perhaps I am a genius or a super-
salesman). By careful buying and mixing/matching components, I have
actually ended up selling "rigs" (boats with motors and/or trailers)
that had a -0- net cost to me. This means my profit margin is infinite.
Easy money. These boats have no upholstery (maybe seats) and I do minimal
work on them. It's all cosmetic (paint) and marketing. Honestly,
it's a no-brainer for me. A couple of times I have bought, held a year,
and doubled my money with NO investment whatsoever. Here is the key...
you MUST make your profit when you buy. After that, it's only a question
of how much you will clear.

JG

- SG said:
We've had several threads on this board devoted to answering the questions, "What do you do all day?" or "Aren't you too young to retire?" etc. Most posters seem to get pretty definant and let it be known that they don't care what people think. I agree with the sentiment. I don't owe anyone my life as a wage slave. I chose a lifestyle that allows me to do what I want and that's what I'm going to do.

Well said SG!

I dont think anyone has any problems with what you're saying, untill the person tries to claim to us this isn't work. Its work, dont kid yourselves. If you're paid for it, its work. Work is paid labor.

azanon said:
I dont think anyone has any problems with what you're saying, untill the person tries to claim to us this isn't work.  Its work, dont kid yourselves.  If you're paid for it, its work.   Work is paid labor.
I don't think anyone has a problem with your definition of work. They may or may not agree with it, but you can define work however you want. The definition is easy to apply. But if you place a value judgement on work based on this definition, you may have problems.

This weekend, I spent about 6 hours climbing down into a dirty irrigation standpipe, removing rusty, broken valve plates, working with a neighbor to cut and weld replacement parts, then climbing back down the standpipe to repair the equipment. For this work, I was paid nothing. My neighborhood and I will be able to get water during the next irrigation cycle and many of them have come by the house to thank me for my efforts. Some people might consider this work, but by your definition it is not.

I also read a manuscript for a publisher this weekend. The manuscript if for a book that will come out next year and that I probably would have bought to read when it did come out. Instead, the publisher is paing me $500 for my review and providing me with a copy of the book. Some people might consider that an exceptional opportunity, but by your definition, it is work. Call both of these exercises work or call neither of them work. I don't care. I'll continue to do both because I find them rewarding. :D :D :D

Re: Not only can I quit, I haven't even started!

Nords said:
and anything involving oxy-acetylene torches...

Once you learn to weld/braze (and it isn't that hard) you'll be amazed at the number of things you are able to fix that were probably headed for the dump. And if you add a small lathe and milling machine, even better. :)

I like the definition "if it was supposed to be fun, they wouldn't call it work".

If having a good time puts some money in your pocket, I see no problem with that. I'm not going to put significant effort into looking for moneymaking opportunities, as I've got plenty of my own projects that have been sitting on the sidelines for far too long. But if something comes along that looks like it will be minimal hassle, entertaining/ego gratifying, and not too time consuming, I won't be averse to considering it.

I think a big issue is if you get to pick and choose the job/time/place. At work, you get those factors issued to you. If you get to set things up the way you want, or just decline entirely if you don't feel like messing with it, it seems like getting to have your cake and eat it too.

BTW, 5.5 weeks to go.

cheers,
Michael

This weekend, I spent about 6 hours climbing down into a dirty irrigation standpipe, removing rusty, broken valve plates, working with a neighbor to cut and weld replacement parts, then climbing back down the standpipe to repair the equipment. For this work, I was paid nothing. My neighborhood and I will be able to get water during the next irrigation cycle and many of them have come by the house to thank me for my efforts. Some people might consider this work, but by your definition it is not.

You need a qualifier for that. I think the most common qualifier you hear is "volunteer work". "Working" for the Red Cross would be another example.

I also read a manuscript for a publisher this weekend. The manuscript if for a book that will come out next year and that I probably would have bought to read when it did come out. Instead, the publisher is paing me $500 for my review and providing me with a copy of the book. Some people might consider that an exceptional opportunity, but by your definition, it is work. Call both of these exercises work or call neither of them work. I don't care. I'll continue to do both because I find them rewarding.

See above (more volunteer work). I've had plenty of "exceptional opportunities" in my work career so far, many of which i took advange of. You make that sound like its either or. I think its both.

Again, i dont have any problem with any of those things you choose to do. Only when you dillusion yourself to think its not work, will you hear from me.

- SG said:
I would suggest that anyone who finds it rewarding to spend some of their time doing things in exchange for money should be just as defiant. 
Yes, but a true ER grandmaster would donate that money to charity!

Back
Top Bottom