Kitchen Remodel Bucket list Reality Check Costs/Tips/Warnings?

Pot fillers are interesting, we've never had one but have seen many houses with them. But almost all of them are not filtered water. We only drink or cook with filtered water, RO filter mostly so would only consider having one that's connected to the filter.

I was initially skeptical when we redid the kitchen and included a pot-filler. But it has proven very useful over the past 15 years, and we've never had any problem with it.

Retired 6 Days ago -- now, onto the Bucket List including a kitchen upgrade! Hoping to get a reality check from the experts here who have been there/done that.

Our small kitchen in our Midcentury Remodel is desperately due for a face lift. New refrigerator, new porcelain sink and fixtures, new dishwasher, new floor, new lightin, maybe new countertop, maybe but probably not new cabinets (but doubt I have a post-retirement budget big enough for those).

I've asked a designer who is certified in Kitchens/Baths to give me a design plan that I can use for making it prettier (aesthetics) and maybe more functional? She won't give me an estimate for the plan yet, which is reasonable because she hasn't seen the kitchen! But she did quote:
  • $75 per hour
  • a free first visit
  • estimate on plan costs thereafter

I've heard horror stories from friends who have gotten estimates for $10-12K to get an architect to give them just the plans for a remodel. So I'm a little concerned.

Has anyone else had just a design done for the kitchen only? Was there sticker shock? Was it worth the fee anyway?

Thanks for any insights!

The key question is whether your current kitchen layout is functional and if your going to significantly change the layout as part of your renovation project. Given that you have framed this as a "face-lift" and don't plan to replace the cabinets, then it sounds lie you will not be significantly chaning the layout.

We designed our kitchen as part of a demolition/rebuild of our house in 2010/2011. We had taken out the cabinets from the old house and stored them in the garage while the house was being rebuilt. Luckily, the model of cabinet was still available because we ended up adding a few cabinets as part of the new kitchen design. IIRC, we used the design services of the lumberyard where we had bought the original cabnets. We had a pretty good idea of what we wanted.

Ditto of the kitchen renovation of our Florida condo. The cabinet subcontractor that we used provided a proposed layout after talking with us about what we wanted. After he went over it with us we made a few changes and then he tweaked it a bit and provided an estimate. Interestingly, he would only do designs on paper... not on computer at all. He made some good recommendations for us... he talked DW out of the corner cabinet that she initially wanted... he suggested that we upgrade the sink base cabinet to plywood box... he suggested under cabinet lighting that we have grown to love having, etc. All free as part of the service and the total cost of cabinets, installed, was 70% of what Home Depot was proposing for cabinets only. Total renovation cost for moving some walls, new cabinets, granite countertops, SS undermount sink, etc. was $21k... and total was $23k including new appliances (stove, dishwasher and microhood but not a new refrigerator).

When we did the kitchen renovation we also talked with a local kitchen renovation firm that did a lot of tv and newspaper advertising... their initial estimate was $45k for the same kitchen that we ultimately spend $21k.

We re-did our kitchen in 2005/6 as part of a larger project that included adding on to make the kitchen larger, building an attached two story garage and a new roof, so it is difficult to tease out the numbers precisely, but I believe the kitchen part was probably a little over $106k - which included about $25k for the appliances we bought directly from the appliance store and and $61k for the cabinets and granite countertops that we paid to the kitchen center. $20k more is just a SWAG as to the portion of the money we paid to the general contractor for the kitchen addition part - concrete, framing, flooring, drywall, electric, plumbing, windows, doors etc. It could be more.

Last edited:
Home Depot was way over priced.

Our kitchen redo was spurred by one of the cabinets (full of dishes) falling off the wall and crashing to the floor. Cheap particle board builder cabs. So the home depot guy was quoting just new doors on the same crappy cabs and granite. For 30 grand! Ah...no.

For 12 grand we got new wood (solid or ply, no particle or MDF) and granite. Amazing.

Invest in your kitchen reno only to the value of your home. ... Don't invest 100K in a kitchen reno if there is no chance of recouping it on sale. ...
I have seen this advice many times but it has never made any sense to me. The easiest amount to recoup is zero, but what if we want a new kitchen? -- particularly if we have no near-in plans to sell the house. Why would we not remodel the way we want to do it? We buy many things where there is no prospect of recouping the cost. Easy example: cars. So why should a kitchen remodel be any different?

I can honestly say that we have done absolutely nothing in this house with an eye to potential resale value. We've done what we've done because that's the house we want to live in.

We did a total structure tear down and rebuild of our kitchen a couple of years ago. We repurposed our cabinets and countertops and appliances to go back into the space, among other things.

If you get a chance put in more lights and outlets than you think you need. If you have an ice maker get a waterline valve so you can turn it off if you go on vacation or if it springs a leak.

Yup, me too. No concern with resale value.

I've gut remodeled two kitchens and updated a third.

You can hire an ID if you are uncertain of colors and choices. I've hired them before and they usually charge a flat fee, by the hour or as a markup on goods purchased. Check the references but also the portfolio of work so you understand their eye and point of view.

You can also reface your cabinets -- this means keeping the boxes, painting or skinning them, and getting new doors/hinges.

If you do want new cabinets, firms usually have a KD on staff. I found that the smaller independent firms often are way more competitive than HD or Lowes. No overhead. Prices on cabinets range in a wide range. Custom is not necessarily better than factory made, and some inexpensive marks have decent quality.

Go to Houzz and look at what you like and form an idea book. Go to their forums (formerly Gardenweb) and get crowdsourced second opinions and review others designs and tradeoffs. One mantra there -- get more drawers not regular cabinet doors. .

We gutted and redid our kitchen in 2012. Memory says we spent about $20k, plus $3k ish on new 200 amp electric service and panel. Memory says we were out of the kitchen for about a month. Memory may be optimistic. I did some painting, a small re route of the stove gas line, and installed dishwasher, disposal, faucet, and pipes under sink. We also did a partial remodel of a small bathroom, and a bunch of tile not in the kitchen.

We did not hire a general contractor for the whole job. Hired 1 company to demo the kitchen and do small plumbing and electric work, plus removing a wall that was maybe 2 feet long. Had kitchenspro.com design a new kitchen, no charge for that. It was about the same layout as before. Hired their subcontractor to install cabinets, sink, granite counters. Hired our tile guy for floor and backsplash. Bought appliances separately, also the faucet. My Dad lent a hand and knowledge with some of the stuff I did. it came out really nice and we are happy with it still.

Short story long I suggest:

Don't hire a General Contractor. You can do it and save a lot of money.

Make it how you want it, don't cheap out, get the extra stuff. The self closers, the nice tile, granite, stainless, etc. You're going to be there a while, yes?

Two things we really like are the one big sink, like someone shows above, versus a double sink. And the convection oven stove. Cooks a 20+ turkey pound to perfection in 2 1/2 or 3 hours. :greetings10:

Has anyone recently replace a gas stove with an electric range? Wonder how much that costs (excluding cost of the new electric range itself). Would need a 240v electric line for the stove, and would need to cap off and maybe remove the gas line to the old gas stove. Anyone have any idea?

This is another thing I am encountering in my downsizing search. Several houses, which otherwise met my specifications, had gas ranges and I am used to and prefer electric. In fact, never have used a gas range. In my seventies, I figure I am past the point of having to learn new things!

...Two things we really like are the one big sink, like someone shows above, versus a double sink.....:greetings10:

We went one big sink in our remodel. One problem - the bottom of the new sink is a few inches lower than the old one, making connection to the drain line a problem.

No problem for those where the drain line goes through the floor of the base cabinet. But can be a problem where the height of the drain line going out the cabinet back is nearly at the same height as the sink bottom.

Has anyone recently replace a gas stove with an electric range? Wonder how much that costs (excluding cost of the new electric range itself). Would need a 240v electric line for the stove, and would need to cap off and maybe remove the gas line to the old gas stove. Anyone have any idea?
You'll need to get someone to look at it. What's underneath will probably be the driving factor. Exposed joists = easy. Concrete slab = not so easy.

In my seventies, I figure I am past the point of having to learn new things!
I am always saddened to hear statements like this, but I will still try to draw your attention to a new thing: induction cooktops. https://www.consumerreports.org/ele...of-induction-cooktops-and-ranges-a5854942923/ They are fantastic; better than gas.

You can do what we did. Buy a small induction burner like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FLR0ET8 From Amazon warehouse it was $94.83 with the sales tax. Initially we played with it, now it is DW's go-to burner for cooking; it's sitting on top of our gas burners. DW also arranged to cook a full trial meal at a friend's house where they have a full induction cooktop. Again, fantastic results. Faster to cook, easier to control, instantly responsive to changes in heat setting, trivial to clean up, etc. We will be buying a GE model for our new 2nd home: https://www.geappliances.com/applia...n-Touch-Control-Induction-Cooktop-PHP9030DJBB

We are also thinking about ditching the gas cooktop in our city home in favor of induction. Sadly, our house remodel put most of the kitchen outside the basement and over a slab, so the electrical work will not be cheap. 2nd home is already wildly over budget so we will probably sit tight here for a while, though.

Last edited:
We used a kitchen designer a couple of years ago. She never could come up with a plan that we could use. But our kitchen and home layout is very difficult. I think she probably averaged a price of between $75-$100 an hour to visit our home and do multiple floor plans. We never did re-do the kitchen.

but I will still try to draw your attention to a new thing: induction cooktops. https://www.consumerreports.org/ele...of-induction-cooktops-and-ranges-a5854942923/ They are fantastic; better than gas.

You can do what we did. Buy a small induction burner like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FLR0ET8 From Amazon warehouse it was $94.83 with the sales tax. Initially we played with it, now it is DW's go-to burner for cooking; it's sitting on top of our gas burners. DW also arranged to cook a full trial meal at a friend's house where they have a full induction cooktop. Again, fantastic results. Faster to cook, easier to control, instantly responsive to changes in heat setting, trivial to clean up, etc. We will be buying a GE model for our new 2nd home: https://www.geappliances.com/applia...n-Touch-Control-Induction-Cooktop-PHP9030DJBB

Thanks Old Shooter. This is something I would never have had an inkling about. I did learn something new today---even in my seventies!

You can do what we did. Buy a small induction burner like this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FLR0ET8 From Amazon warehouse it was $94.83 with the sales tax.

Wow! I want one of these. I don't like cooking on our electric though DW doesn't seem to mind it. I grew up with a gas stove which was much more flexible than electric. Sounds like this has the advantages of electric and gas.

... Sounds like this has the advantages of electric and gas.
The technology is amazing. Much faster to add or slow the heat than gas, a nice numeric display of heat setting so no flame-peeping to figure out heat level. Much less risk of personal burning than a hot electric element surface, and can be wiped clean almost instantly after cooking is done. IMO it is as far above gas as gas is above electric. Try one of those cheap portable units yourself and see. The one we bought and I linked was among the best-rated.

A minor hitch is the pans must be magnetic, but DW went through her (vast) inventory testing with a magnet and found about 80% would work fine. So, costwise, no impact.

We got the side by side unit and I still regret it after 15 years.

We've had side by sides for approaching 30 years. (serious)

I've always wondered why they make anything other than side by sides:)
(just kidding)

This is another thing I am encountering in my downsizing search. Several houses, which otherwise met my specifications, had gas ranges and I am used to and prefer electric. In fact, never have used a gas range. In my seventies, I figure I am past the point of having to learn new things!

We have had and currenty have both... gas range in one home and electric in the other. Stick with gas... much better for cooktop. Though my wife prefers the electric oven the gas oven is fine. Not much to learn at all... don't fret about it.

(just kidding)

My only regret about our Florida condo kitchen renovation is NOT replacing our side-by-side refrigerator. I was going to buy a new french door/bottom drawer freezer refrigerator when I went to buy the other appliances and DW talked me out of it since the side-by-side refrigerator that came with our unit was relatively new. I still hate the damn thing... only slightly north of useless.

We have had and currenty have both... gas range in one home and electric in the other. Stick with gas... much better for cooktop. Though my wife prefers the electric oven the gas oven is fine. Not much to learn at all... don't fret about it.

Having had zero experience with gas stoves, I do fret. Open flames bother me--especially inside a house! And how do the flame starters work? We are not still in the days of needing matches to light a stove are we? What happens if one forgets to turn off a burner after cooking?

I grew up with a gas stove and I would give a lot to have one again today. Far more control over your cooking and so easy to use. But it's not an option where I live now so I'm going for induction (in another thread) as the best use for electricity.

Most kitchens I re-face are between $6-8k. I replace doors with a new style, spray doors "in the flat" to get the smoothest finish. I'm a single person company, so I'm typically less than the big-box guys. If you want to pick my brain, give me a call.

Posting pics is always a good start.

Here's a link to some of my work
https://photos.app.goo.gl/gvm53NdGytYUoEkPA

(just kidding)
My only regret about our Florida condo kitchen renovation is NOT replacing our side-by-side refrigerator. I was going to buy a new french door/bottom drawer freezer refrigerator when I went to buy the other appliances and DW talked me out of it since the side-by-side refrigerator that came with our unit was relatively new. I still hate the damn thing... only slightly north of useless.

It's not that I prefer side by side to top and bottom or vice versa. It's that I want more refrigerator space, so I'd actually prefer that we had a dedicated fridge the same size as our current refrigerator/freezer unit (42" x 72") and an entirely separate freezer about the same size. We should have built the kitchen that way, but if the space wouldn't work, I'd put a separate freezer in the garage in order to have a larger refrigerator in the kitchen. Heck, my ideal refrigerator would be 48" x 72" of nothin' but fridge.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom