List of Things Not to Annoy Our Kids

I refuse to "hang" around with any member of the male species who needs a brassiere more than I do :D:facepalm:

Generally I’m okay with us members of the older contingent eschewing bikinis and Speedos, but if you’ve got it, flaunt it!

The biggest thing DW and I did to annoy our kids was to show affection to each other.

For example, many times, particularly during my heavy travel times, I would have to meet DW at one of our sporting events. When I found her in the stands or on the sideline, we would kiss and hug. If I was returning from being out of town for several days, it would be a strong kiss and hug. :dance:

Or, when we had to be at their school together, e.g. parent-teacher conference night, we would walk together holding hands.

This annoyed our teenage kids a lot, apparently they were teased for having "hot" parents. Then - it took us a while to notice - they stopped complaining.

Years later, our oldest told us that he and our 2nd child were being teased by a group of friends at school about this. Then one of the group, who had been silent, said something to the effect of "at least they are not getting drunk and hitting each other, like my parents".

Our oldest said that the group got very quiet, and soon changed the subject... and they were never teased about it again. At that point he realized that perhaps having parents who still loved and showed affection for each other after many years of marriage was not such a bad thing. :) He passed that message along to the rest of his siblings.

DW and I have about 100 years of driving experience without a ticket or an at-fault accident. I taught both kids to drive. Neither is complaining about either of us yet.

I guess I'm kind of caught in the middle here. I'm 55 and I have both teenagers and 78 year old parents. But I would add.

1. Learn to tip properly. 10% is not "generous", especially if you are a demanding diner. Be as frugal as you want with how you spend the rest of your money. That affects only you. But under-tipping isn't being frugal. It's being stingy and unfairly asking others to pay for your 'frugality.' Your kids will notice. And may go back and top off the tip out of embarrassment.

2. Don't criticize how your grandchildren dress. Being a teen girl is hard enough. And don't go and patch your granddaughter's carefully ripped jeans!

3. Yes, your grandchildren have their own cell phones. Get over it.

4. Your kids really don't want all your old stuff. They already have way too much of their own.

As for driving? My 78 year old father is 10x the better driver than my 21 year old daughter who terrifies me.

I say put that list where the sun doesn't shine. If my kids don't like me the way I am then they can consider themselves disowned. Luckily, I have one kid in Israel where none of this makes any sense at all. This is purely American BS but maybe my dNYC daughter might understand it better.

If the OP is only 54 then they have a lot to learn about life still. Over 70 is still young. I have a very good friend who is 81, still drives, has the body of a 30 year old, and a mind like a trap. She walks 10-15 km every day and is a well known photographer. So, age is something each person undergoes at different rates. My 94 year old mother still looks 70 and also has a mind like a trap. My 71 year old wife would make short work of you if you suggest to her she is old. Me, I am fine and in as good a shape as I was at 50 both physically and mentally. I regularly mountain bike more than 50 km (often on my way to my smallish yacht where I sail single handed all day, and I still go snowboarding as often as I can and can outshred every kid I see on the hill. It blows their minds when I take off my helmet. So, all this stuff is IMHO ridiculous and very domineering.

Are You Kidding?

I always tried to respect and honor my elders. However if those strong and wonderful folks, long gone now, had abided by this set of rules, we would have seen them as seniors trying way to hard to look "hip", and acquiescing to others at every opportunity.
Grandma trying to pretend she is a Millennial is rather shallow, in my opinion. I see much of this today and just shake my head.

OK, Boomer. There you go with your lists again. <rolls eyes>

The kids are welcome to drive my rig when visiting. It's a stick shift diesel truck that is 4x4 and lifted. Ha! I also have 2 motorcycles. I doubt they could get either to move under power.

Besides, the Bible says children are to honor their mother and father. Not the other way around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom