Options to replacing Tivo

nwsteve

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Our Tivo is looking like it is at or near its end. We got it five years ago following a lead from a poster here who highlighted a killer deal for "all in" package with a refurb unit. It has been greatl.
Kinda relunctant to put down over $500 for a new unit and get stuck with monthly fees or another 100 for all in.
We are in a multi-unit CCRC and pretty much stuck with using cable in some form (no antenna allowed). Besides Comcast dvr what other options should we explore?
Thanks

If your internet is good look into one of the streaming services. Get a FireStick or Roku for each TV (~$25 each) and your recordings are stored in the cloud.
Use http://suppose.tv to pick the channels important to you and see what the best match is. I think they'll compare to your local cable too.

What exactly is wrong with your Tivo? We have a Roamio. It starting acting up a couple of months ago. Was in a reboot loop and the HDMI input on our TV could not see the Tivo. The power adapter went bad (low power) and we replaced it for less than $15. Good as new. I don't go there very often but these forums are great. https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php

Is basic cable included in your base fees or do you have a choice to go without cable or buy cable.

If the former and you will be paying for Xfininity either way, then I would spend the extra $10/month for the Xfinity DVR.

If the latter and you have good internet, then go with one of the streaming packages with live TV like YouTubeTV, Hulu with Live TV or fubo using suppose.tv to see what packages best fit your needs.

What exactly is wrong with your Tivo? We have a Roamio. It starting acting up a couple of months ago. Was in a reboot loop and the HDMI input on our TV could not see the Tivo. The power adapter went bad (low power) and we replaced it for less than $15. Good as new. I don't go there very often but these forums are great. https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php

We also have a Roamio--ours refuses to connect to wifi--fails tcp tests. All other devices connect just fine. Tivos does see the our router but refuses to complete connection. Doesnt connect so no IP from DCHP. Tried putting in a static IP and crashed. Does a Tivo have a network card like a laptop?

nwsteve you could get a cheap WiFi extender if there is an Ethernet port on the TiVo. I had my SIL do this when the TiVo wifi started getting flaky with a terrible picture.

You could get an OTA digital antenna. They do not need to be placed outside. Then you can buy a receiver unit that can perform DVR features that your Tivo box provided.
I have that and have not paid for TV in 5-6 years. I do have internet though and can also do streaming as well.

We also have a Roamio--ours refuses to connect to wifi--fails tcp tests. All other devices connect just fine. Tivos does see the our router but refuses to complete connection. Doesnt connect so no IP from DCHP. Tried putting in a static IP and crashed. Does a Tivo have a network card like a laptop?

You may be able to plug a USB WiFi adapter into one of the Roamio's USB ports and just use that instead of the internal connection. I have not tried this, it's just a thought.

You could also use the Roamio to create a MoCA network and skip the WiFi altogether. I have done this for testing purposes, and it works fine. Here are the instructions. https://tivoidp.tivo.com/tivoCommunitySupport/s/article/MoCA-Networking-Help

Someone like weaknees may also be able to repair your box (assuming that the WiFi adapter did work in the past).

OP here--thanks to all for some great options. I have never come across the weaknees provider and they currently have a decent deal on an all-in refurb. ($300). MoCA network is a new technology for me so I need to school myself a bit to understand the option.
I had not checked on the Xfinity dvr but if I can get for 10/mon it looks like a winner. My recollection is our area has a higher price; Given the way streaming options are multiplying not sure I really want to do any significant capital outlay for it to go obsolete in a year or less.
Thanks again

Our Tivo is looking like it is at or near its end. We got it five years ago following a lead from a poster here who highlighted a killer deal for "all in" package with a refurb unit. It has been greatl.
Kinda relunctant to put down over $500 for a new unit and get stuck with monthly fees or another 100 for all in.
We are in a multi-unit CCRC and pretty much stuck with using cable in some form (no antenna allowed). Besides Comcast dvr what other options should we explore?
Thanks
The replacement for a dying Tivo is either a new drive, a new power supply, or a used lifetime Roamio for $200 or less on ebay.

Don't downgrade to any other DVR.

TiVo has been running promotions where they discount the annual service to $99 and the Edge DVR to around $200. I used to buy the All In service but by going with the $99 annual fee they include a continual hardware warranty, which I have used several times now. The boxes are not made as reliably as they used to be. But the deductible is fairly small and they ship out a new box within a few days so it’s worked out reasonably well for me.

OP here with update. Finally got connected via ethernet. Downloaded new software. All seems okay..BUT, still can't connect over wifi. Tivo tech finally admitted that network adapter had failed. MoCA looking like a decent option since unit is otherwise working. I have not seen Edge at 200 but stretching current unit till next promo could be the plan.
Anyone know if network adapter replaceable on Roamio?

The TiVo Edge is $199.99 on Amazon. At the moment they don’t have any specials on the annual service though.

I’ve been using MoCa for years now and it works very well. I would definitely recommend going that route rather than messing with WiFi.

You can buy a used Roamio on ebay or www.weakknees.com.
I'll second the recommendation of weaknees (weakknees does redirect there) for any upgraded or refurbished TiVo products. I've also purchased preformatted replacement drives from them that you can often swap out to give a mostly or totally dead TiVo new life, something I was going to recommend nwsteve look into, except he specified he was looking for an alternative replacement.

Last edited:
OP here with update. Finally got connected via ethernet. Downloaded new software. All seems okay..BUT, still can't connect over wifi. Tivo tech finally admitted that network adapter had failed. MoCA looking like a decent option since unit is otherwise working. I have not seen Edge at 200 but stretching current unit till next promo could be the plan.

nwsteve you could get a cheap WiFi extender if there is an Ethernet port on the TiVo. I had my SIL do this when the TiVo wifi started getting flaky with a terrible picture.

I'm with Piper... if your Tivo has an Ethernet input then you could buy a cheap wifi extender and then an Ethernet cable from the extender to the Tivo.

I bought this extender a little over a year ago to extend streaming from our house to our hobby room in our detached garage loft and it works like a charm and the price is right.

TP-Link N300 WiFi Extender(TL-WA855RE)-WiFi Range Extender, up to 300Mbps speed, Wireless Signal Booster and Access Point, Single Band 2.4Ghz Only

Replaced Directv with streaming service. If you have a 25mbs or better internet connection, streaming is far superior to TIVo, cable, satellite or other DVR’s. YouTube TV has unlimited storage and superior picture quality. 4K streaming is remarkable! Roku interface is very inexpensive and works great.

If you just want to connect via Wi-Fi in order to get guide data (i.e. not streaming) let me know via PM.

I might have an older 802.11(b) USN adapter I can send you.

After being a TIVO devotee for 10 years, we switched last year to Google chromecast with google TV.

Unlimited dvr in the cloud and easily portable when we snowbird.

I do miss the fast forward, where I can watch a sport faster, and the slowmo to see a car race wreck. But overall it has been a perfectly acceptable switch

No, if the wifi is dead you need another Roamio, or an Ethernet-to-Wifi extender as mentioned.

I use MoCA on my Roamio Plus and 3 Minis and it works great. The Roamio bridges MoCA to Ethernet for the Minis to get their updates from Tivo.

Last edited:
I just got this message in an email from HULU. I use a Tivo Roamio as my DVR which is about three models behind the current Tivo units. So, I am not surrised. Many newer streaming services don't even have an app for the Roamio.

We wanted to let you know that the Hulu app will no longer be supported on select, older TiVo Smart TV devices like yours starting on August 19, 2022. With this change, you will no longer be able to access Hulu on that device. We are continually working to improve your streaming experience, and updates many occasionally make certain legacy devices incompatible with our app.

Last edited:
I ended my 20+ relationship with Tivo two weeks ago. I was having a complete hardware failure at least once every six months and I didn’t have the patience to go through another support call, box swap, and set up again. I’ve been on YouTube TV for two weeks now and can’t believe I waited this long to get rid of Tivo. It was a great product in its infancy but at this point it’s become irrelevant.

I ended my 20+ relationship with Tivo two weeks ago. I was having a complete hardware failure at least once every six months and I didn’t have the patience to go through another support call, box swap, and set up again. I’ve been on YouTube TV for two weeks now and can’t believe I waited this long to get rid of Tivo. It was a great product in its infancy but at this point it’s become irrelevant.

Tivo still works great for OTA if your model supports it.

I plan to drop cable TV for antenna...already have an antenna in the attic for the living room Tivo, plan on adding an outside antenna for the Tivo in the basement which is currently being used w/ cable.

Back
Top Bottom