Poll: What does retirement feel like to you?

How does retirement feel like?

• I'm busy with part time work and hobby, it feels that same as when I was working

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I'm a homebody and jove to be just a couch potato and occasionally do housework

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • I'm not working but very active physically (golf, hiking, kayak, biking, climbing)

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I travel several times - jetsetting or going to our vacation home

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • I'm stuck taking care of family (kids, parents) and wish I could get out more

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Everyday feels like I'm on a luxury vacation and the fun never stops

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I do a lot of volunteer work and community service

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I feel like retirement is boring and sometimes I feel depressed and anxious

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cyber888

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
So, you're retired, and how does it feel like? I'm running an poll and vote on the first thing that comes to mind, or the closest to describing your retirement experience.:dance:

Last edited:
I'm having a difficult time identifying with the poll choices.

List is incomplete, where is "Awesome"?

I'm having a difficult time identifying with the poll choices.

+2.

Maybe this will help:

I'm busy with part time work and hobby, it feels that same as when I was working
Nope, I don't work part time. I'm fully retired.
I'm a homebody and jove to be just a couch potato and occasionally do housework
Well, I do love to be a couch potato and I am very much a homebody, but I also go to the gym and get out and about. Gotta stay healthy! Oh, and I do very little housework.
I'm not working but very active physically (golf, hiking, kayak, biking, climbing)
Don't do any of those activities. I do go to the gym three times a week. I wouldn't say I am *very* active physically, though.
I travel several times - jetsetting or going to our vacation home
I don't travel at all.
I'm stuck taking care of family (kids, parents) and wish I could get out more
I am not stuck taking care of family.
Everyday feels like I'm on a luxury vacation and the fun never stops
Close, in that the fun never stops. But a luxury vacation? No, that brings to mind food that is too rich, lots of white glove service, and sightseeing. Retirement is more comfy than that for me, like an old sock. It's just not that fancy and I wouldn't want it to be. For me it's more like a never-ending Saturday than like a luxury vacation.
I do a lot of volunteer work and community service
I'm not that virtuous!
I feel like retirement is boring and sometimes I feel depressed and anxious
Good heavens, no. How anyone could get bored in retirement, is completely beyond me. I learned long ago how to keep myself interested and engaged in life. In retirement I almost never feel even slightly depressed or anxious, as opposed to my working days when work itself could cause me to feel that way.

Thanks for the feedback, but couldn't edit the poll - it won't let me.

Last edited:
Without being too obtuse, after four years it's a mix of many of the above. More often than not I am busy with all sorts of things (hobbies, chores, workout, travel, etc.), though not paid work or couch potato, but some days are kinda boring (in winter in my case). Not every day/week/month/year was the same when I was working, and I didn't expect it to be after I retired. No matter who you are, it's what you make of it anyway...

All of 1-6, sometimes #7, and never #8. I didn't vote obviously because it would be meaningless. :)

Bloody awful.

Am sleeping late, spend too much time playing, no headaches, can't b*tch about and idiot boss, spend day time working out figure skaiting. Those are just the few of the many negatives. Oh wait, they are good things.

List is incomplete, where is "Awesome"?

I considered this choice:

I'm a homebody and (L)ove to be just a couch potato and occasionally do housework as being "Awesome".

I do more than just that but it's close enough

The poll should allow multiple selections.

- I have school age kids at home and MIL is in need of a lot of our attention, so I'm tied down.
- I took 9 weeks travelling this summer - so I jet set.
- I love being a couch potato!
- I walk the dog on the beach every day - is that being active (not at the pace I walk) or is it a hobby, or is it....

It's not a single option when you're retired. The biggest thing is that you no longer have to work for money and have (more) control over you time.

Much like W2R, we're pretty much homebodies, go to the gym regularly, visit with friends/relatives often, everyday's a Saturday kind of retirement. We don't much care for travel but do once in a great long while. I read a lot of library books and that is something I looked forward to before retirement. Having had my fill of action and adventure I like a low-stress lifestyle.

So none of the poll options really fit for me.

I answered no 3 because I hike, bike, and kayak a lot.

But I probably spend more time at No 1 (hobbies, no work)
Also spend some time traveling - probably 3-4 months per year away from home.
Also do some volunteer work for our HOA

I answered 2, Homebody, but "Everyday feels like I'm on a luxury vacation and the fun never stops" applies also!

Retirement for me feels like I robbed a bank and got away with it. I still can't believe I get paid for breathing.

None of the above, not even close.

Last edited:
I too, found the poll options rather confusing, so I didn't vote.

Retirement is blissful, excellent, wonderful, awesome, perfect, very good, jolly satisfying. Pick any, or all, of the former descriptions, or add your own.

Retirement for me feels like I robbed a bank and got away with it. I still can't believe I get paid for breathing.

+1,
One of the best descriptions I've ever heard.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

I choose option "e".

Odds are "e" is the right answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I compared my ER to a short stretch of my life shortly after I graduated from college in early June of 1985 but before I began working (full-time) just after July 4th. I could extend the starting point to when I finished my last final exam 2 weeks earlier in late May but I was busy in those 2 weeks finding a place to live starting around July 4th.

That was a fun stretch. I slept late every day, had no schoolwork, did some traveling, dated my girlfriend, and pretty much came and went as I pleased for about 6 weeks. Remove the time constraint from that list and that's what I have today. :)

BTW I answered #2 to the poll.

Back
Top Bottom