Poll: What does retirement feel like to you?

How does retirement feel like?

• I'm busy with part time work and hobby, it feels that same as when I was working

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I'm a homebody and jove to be just a couch potato and occasionally do housework

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • I'm not working but very active physically (golf, hiking, kayak, biking, climbing)

Votes: 24 33.8%
  • I travel several times - jetsetting or going to our vacation home

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • I'm stuck taking care of family (kids, parents) and wish I could get out more

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • Everyday feels like I'm on a luxury vacation and the fun never stops

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • I do a lot of volunteer work and community service

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I feel like retirement is boring and sometimes I feel depressed and anxious

Votes: 7 9.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted "I'm stuck at home" but while it has a kernel of truth, the wording is so much more negative than I truly feel. The deciding factor in my early retirement 15 years ago was that I could be a part of my young sons (1 and 3 at time) daily life. Retiring with kids is not what most folks think of as a typical retirement. It includes a lot of volunteering (soccer coach or manager, treasurer of several youth organizations, hiking and camping with my sons and with Boy Scouts, etc) and planning around their interests and activity schedule. DW is currently (as I type) running a holiday gift shop at local elementary school after running the HS soccer banquet earlier in the week, and helping at a nature center's craft show fundraiser over the weekend. But we've started discussions about the projected transition to a "normal" retirement as the two boys will be in college two years from now. This past year I've started getting back into some older interests that have been on the back burner (cycling and backpacking, never stopped, just doing more) and planning more ambitious travel (as the financial comfort zone is way up over last five years and summers are getting less booked).

None of the above, not even close.

+100

Whole thing is surreal. Like I never worked. How did I ever find time to work? Work, are you kidding me?

Always something to do. Each and every day. Eight days a week. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever ever bored. Ever.

How about a poll about sex after retirement?

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I find my volunteer activities rewarding but they only take up a small part of my week. I will probably expand my volunteer activities in the future. Other than that, life is just a long vacation.

Last edited:
I think you should be able to select a few answers, as my retirement experience does not fit neatly into just one of those categories.

Please tell me what comes after retirement?

More free time with the spouse and not always tired from the long work day. How you choose to use it is up to you!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

After 4+ years of ER, I have had periods of everything but #1 (part time work and hobby, feels like work), and #7 (volunteer work and community service). I have randomly rotated through the other 6 poll options during my 4+ years since FIRE. I guess it is time to give #7 a try.

1. I'm busy with part time work and hobby, it feels that same as when I was working
  2. I'm a homebody and jove to be just a couch potato and occasionally do housework
  3. I'm not working but very active physically (golf, hiking, kayak, biking, climbing)
  4. I travel several times - jetsetting or going to our vacation home
  5. I'm stuck taking care of family (kids, parents) and wish I could get out more
  6. Everyday feels like I'm on a luxury vacation and the fun never stops
  7. I do a lot of volunteer work and community service
  8. I feel like retirement is boring and sometimes I feel depressed and anxious

On any given day it could be any of the above, except for the part-time work and depressed and anxious pieces, but more often 1,2,3, and 4 and occasionally the first part of 6 when things are slow.

Go to more book stores and libraries. Catch up on my reading. Have not read a book or newspaper in years. I now will read the wsj back to back like I used to do.

No more getting anxious about the work week on Sunday because I get to sleep in a little bit late.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom