Researching a Move to Another State--What Resources are Avaliable?

Good luck on your hunt you are starting to sound a little bit like Goldilocks and the 3 Bears ...not too hot and not too cold. Fair enough but area that fit your desires and usually pretty darn expensive

When someone asked me directly, "be more specific about your ideal temperature and humidity" I gave my answer. Yes, I am finding out that good weather areas are more expensive.

...as someone who lives in your state try not to get too hung up on the weather,

Thanks for the laugh. Minnesotans are obsessed with the weather. Consider how much of the local news programs devote to it. Think about the "weather terrorists" (weather forecasters) that warn us about the Next Big Storm® that is coming, typically for 5 to 7 days before the cataclysm is supposed to occur.

it's important but so far weather is really the only thing you are talking about.

It is my #1 factor in my search. I've also mentioned cost of living, housing searches on Zillow and Trulia, property taxes, income taxes, population density, proximity to metro areas, etc.

Since we still farm we leave for a month or two from Jan to March or so. My main concern is that my area doesn't get blizzards and that there is never ice on the ground so we don't need to worry about falling on the ice.

You'll find in areas like St George during the worst of the summertime people stay inside or go visit family in other areas just like we Snowbird.

My concern with Minnesota weather is that from November through April you are cooped up inside your house looking at a blanket of snow on the ground. Then, once a week or so, more snow comes along which you must remove in order to be able to get around. It's lovely that the government throws salt on the roads to melt the ice, thereby rusting the metal in your vehicles.

As far as being cooped up inside because it's too hot, that is something I also want to avoid.

You definitely have that MN malady "weather fatigue" but you are exaggerating the weather just a tad:flowers:

Funny how the bad winters are engraved in the mind and the milder open winters are never remembered....

I do get it but matter where you go your everyday life is definitely more then the weather in total. We found something that works for us since we still farm and have very young grandkids who we want to be close to and I hope you find what you are looking for...

I'll be following this with interest, to see if you find your Nirvana .. keep us updated.

Last edited:
I've got a friend that lives in Wake Forest, NC, and he's urging me to look at his area. He loves it. He grew up in Minnesota and left because of the weather. Moved to NC in 2013. My wife is hesitant because of humidity and hurricanes.
We’ve looked all over for the past 7-8 years and we decided years ago that Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill-Wake Forest was the best choice for us. Made several house hunting trips, almost bought a new home. I’d always wanted to give Charlotte NC a look, but DW wasn’t interested. We finally spent a week in Charlotte and DW was quite impressed. We’ve been twice since, and there is no question Charlotte is a better choice for us than the Triangle (as great as that area is). All I’m saying is if the Triangle is appealing, you might want to look at Charlotte too.

As for hurricanes, we were concerned too, or we’d live on the East coast. The Triangle and Charlotte will get wind and rain from hurricanes sometimes, but not nearly as destructive as the coast since you’d be hours away. Most places have some risk of hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes, wildfires, flooding, etc. or something - it’s hard to avoid natural disasters entirely.

Add on climate, crime, COL, culture, economy, size, religion, politics and other factors and there is no perfect place. If there was it would be so crowded and expensive you wouldn’t want to live there...

Last edited:
. Some of the higher elevations in Arizona and New Mexico have my kind of climate, but cost of housing is high. I will look at Reno. Right off, I'm wondering about crime rate.

I'm doing the same research you are now, except that I've narrowed it down to Arizona, mainly because there was a huge thread here where people who had lived in various cities in az contributed.

For SN*W just Bing "city state-abbreviation climate" and look at the little bar graph that appears close to the top. Come to find out several Arizona cities get snow in Jan and Feb and don't approach 60 degrees. Spreadsheet, delete row, Prescott.

I am finding areavibes.com good for graphic comparisons that include crime. Somewhat overwhelming as it offers other nearby alternatives, so then more go on the investigate list.

Another resource is searching for the city or town on youtube. Sometimes you get people who moved to an area who just video daily life and you get a feel for the terrain - and the wildlife, like javelinas (wild pigs) tearing up your garbage or a rattlesnake behind a nice elderly lady's recycle bin. Then the wildlife guy comes and his snake-pinner stick ISN'T LONG ENOUGH for this huge snake. He has to go back and get a bigger one.

I am going to Arizona for 2 weeks in January to visit, at the most, 3 someplaces. This ought to be a challenge since I don't like to travel, or drive rental cars in unfamiliar areas. Not sure how I got this way since I used to do data conversions for hospitals going to a new computer system, all over the US, and other than the boring places I sometimes had to go to, travel and driving were not an issue.

I'm looking at Prescott AZ, or Prescott Valley, AZ (very close to each other). Flagstaff AZ is intriguing but they get a lot of snow. I don't know how long it sits on the ground, though. I'd like to be within an hour and a half or less from a major metro area.

Sparks NV is a suburb of Reno. Might be a candidate. Otherwise NV is just too dang hot.

I'd look at Santa Fe, NM or areas around it. Same thing with suburban Albuquerque or areas around it (Rio Rancho, for example).

Utah should be a candidate but I can't find a happy median between snow to the north and desert to the south.
All good candidates. The Reno area is not all that hot. Seattle is cooler, but much more humid. I was often more comfortable in Reno/Sparks than at home in Seattle. Reno can be chilly in winter, but to me very pleasant.

Ha

Here's a wildcard. It's not within 90 minutes of a major city, but...

https://binged.it/2Co0MBM

I almost mentioned Grand Junction this morning but decided it was a little too chilly. We drive through on our way to St George and it's a great little town..the airport access is probably really poor...what do you have Denver, SLC or Vegas those are long drives.

I almost mentioned Grand Junction this morning but decided it was a little too chilly. We drive through on our way to St George and it's a great little town..the airport access is probably really poor...what do you have Denver, SLC or Vegas those are long drives.

GJ has the third largest airport in the state. Direct flights to Phoenix, LA, Dallas, SLC, Denver. Montrose down the road also has seasonal direct flights. I heard GJ is trying to add flights to San Fran, Chicago and DC.

GJ has the third largest airport in the state. Direct flights to Phoenix, LA, Dallas, SLC, Denver. Montrose down the road also has seasonal direct flights. I heard GJ is trying to add flights to San Fran, Chicago and DC.

Good to know and it make sense because it is far from a lot of airline hubs...

That's intriguing. I sort of passed over Grand Junction because of the 90 minute rule, but maybe I can loosen that rule.

Do you plan on doing a lot of traveling? It looks like most destinations would probably be one stop due to it's hub access. The temp does hit zero in January....

That's intriguing. I sort of passed over Grand Junction because of the 90 minute rule, but maybe I can loosen that rule.

We spend time out there and feel its sort of a hidden gem. 2 hours to Telluride or Aspen. 90 minutes to Moab and all the national parks. 24 wineries. Lots of good farm to table restaurants. RE is still in Colorado terms, relatively cheap.
There is a touch of snow in winter and summers can get hot, but overall its pretty mild. It will be "discovered" soon and then prices will go up.

We spend time out there and feel its sort of a hidden gem. 2 hours to Telluride or Aspen. 90 minutes to Moab and all the national parks. 24 wineries. Lots of good farm to table restaurants. RE is still in Colorado terms, relatively cheap.
There is a touch of snow in winter and summers can get hot, but overall its pretty mild. It will be "discovered" soon and then prices will go up.

It's in a sweet spot and the drive from GJ to Southern Utah is absolutely beautiful it defines wide open spaces...

Add on climate, crime, COL, culture, economy, size, religion, politics and other factors and there is no perfect place. If there was it would be so crowded and expensive you wouldn’t want to live there...

That is 100% true. Only you can decide what are the most important factors in choosing a place to live because it is unlikely you will get everything; that is why all those articles that rate "Best Places to Retire" are pretty much worthless.

For us, we were willing to pay a higher COL to get year-around warm weather.

Price no object I might look at Santa Barbara, but even that town is not perfect. Some of the perennial favorites that show up on those lists, I've been to and I would never retire to some of them.

Price no object I might look at Santa Barbara, but even that town is not perfect. Some of the perennial favorites that show up on those lists, I've been to and I would never retire to some of them.

Darn.... you just reminded me I forgot to buy a Mega-Millions ticket on my trip to town this morning. I would have been able to buy a house in every city mentioned on this thread....

That's funny, I was actually going to mention Santa Barbara as a close to perfect place in my post, and it's VERY expensive - but decided it might prompt a tangent discussion. :D

There is about six weeks of beautiful weather here in Minnesota. The first part of June and the first part of September.

This is why DW and I spend the first week of June and the first week of September fishing on a lake in far NW Minn. :)

I'm doing the same research you are now, except that I've narrowed it down to Arizona, mainly because there was a huge thread here where people who had lived in various cities in az contributed.

Can you post a link to the thread?

I am finding areavibes.com good for graphic comparisons that include crime. Somewhat overwhelming as it offers other nearby alternatives, so then more go on the investigate list.

That is an interesting site. Thanks for posting it. My area gets an overall rating of 82 out of 100, which is pretty good. They assign A through F grades for several categories. Here's the breakdown:

Amenities A+
Crime A+
Education A+
Employment A
Housing C
Cost of Living F
Weather F

No mention of taxes but I would say it gets a D.

So my top three factors I'm looking to improve when I retire and move elsewhere, Climate, Cost of Living, and Taxes are all poor grades where I currently live.

Last edited:
Can you post a link to the thread?

For SN*W just Bing "city state-abbreviation climate" and look at the little bar graph that appears close to the top. Come to find out several Arizona cities get snow in Jan and Feb and don't approach 60 degrees. Spreadsheet, delete row, Prescott.

That is an interesting site. Thanks for posting it. My area gets an overall rating of 82 out of 100, which is pretty good. They assign A through F grades for several categories. Here's the breakdown:

Amenities A+
Crime A+
Education A+
Employment A
Housing C
Cost of Living F
Weather F

No mention of taxes but I would say it gets a D.

So my top three factors I'm looking to improve when I retire and move elsewhere, Climate, Cost of Living, and Taxes are all poor grades where I currently live.

I'm curious why cost of living got an F, the weather was lucky to slide by with only an F....taxes you could say D but that's a lot the reason for the 3 A+'s and the A...

I think our perfect place would be a little in the country within 30 mins of a city (for healthcare) with nice solid (Not Manufactured) homes for <= $500k and good year round weather.

Our personal ideal place would compare to Seaton in South Devon UK but with better weather. But in the USA. In the UK you can find lovely homes for around 500k Pounds (Dollar for Pound comparison) within a short driving distance from a major City/Market Town.

I'm curious why cost of living got an F,

"Cost of living in Eden Prairie, MN is 19% higher than the average of Minnesota and 21% higher than our nation's average."

the weather was lucky to slide by with only an F....taxes you could say D but that's a lot the reason for the 3 A+'s and the A...

The factors that tilt the rating toward a good rating are things I really don't care about (anymore.)

Employment gets an A. What do I care about employment opportunities when I'm retired?

Education gets an A+. What do I care about the public schools when I'm retired?

Amenities gets an A+. This has some importance to me.

"Cost of living in Eden Prairie, MN is 19% higher than the average of Minnesota and 21% higher than our nation's average."

The factors that tilt the rating toward a good rating are things I really don't care about (anymore.)

Employment gets an A. What do I care about employment opportunities when I'm retired?

Education gets an A+. What do I care about the public schools when I'm retired?

Amenities gets an A+. This has some importance to me.

That might have to do with housing costs in EP...if you have a paid off house the difference wouldn't that big. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg, A's in a lot of those categories bring young professional, families and a lot of times safer neighborhoods. For example, our rural country has really poor school ratings and amenity ratings and even though we have a large regional medical center, we haven't been able to have a full time cardiologist in a least a decade. The docs don't like the schools, their wife can't find suitable employment so now our regional hospital can't have a cardio department because we don't have doctors,

That might have to do with housing costs in EP...if you have a paid off house the difference wouldn't that big. It's kind of like the chicken and the egg, A's in a lot of those categories bring young professional, families and a lot of times safer neighborhoods.

I understand how these things go hand-in-hand. However, the relatively high score of 82 and the fact that I can't wait to get out of here just reinforces the advice of many on this thread, namely, you can't rely on these ratings systems. At least not at first glance. These ratings sites can be useful if you drill down into the data and really examine it.

For example, our rural country has really poor school ratings and amenity ratings and even though we have a large regional medical center, we haven't been able to have a full time cardiologist in a least a decade. The docs don't like the schools, their wife can't find suitable employment so now our regional hospital can't have a cardio department because we don't have doctors,

Yes, I see where there can be a domino effect. Something to keep in mind in my search. As to doctors, Sperling's has a subcategory in the Health rating, "number of physicians per 100K population" At least it is a data point.

Back
Top Bottom