Sports car?

I've got my dad's old SL500. Rarely drive it.

Will be giving it to my kid before they head back to school, so they can pay the insurance. :)

Last edited:
Yes, but unlike the Slingshot, with a strong enough headwind you could fly backwards without using reverse or looking in your rear view mirror! :LOL:

Never quite managed to fly backwards, but I was practicing slow flight once. Lined up a "country mile" and pointed into the wind. It took over 10 minutes to make that mile. I was carrying quite a bit of power with the flaps at 20 degrees. The stall warning was screaming the whole time but I never stalled - which is what I was working on at the time. YMMV

Never quite managed to fly backwards, but I was practicing slow flight once. Lined up a "country mile" and pointed into the wind. It took over 10 minutes to make that mile. I was carrying quite a bit of power with the flaps at 20 degrees. The stall warning was screaming the whole time but I never stalled - which is what I was working on at the time. YMMV

I did the same, only with a strong enough headwind that looking at my ground track showed I was moving slowly backwards.

We visit the Museum of Science and Industry every few years, and they have Craig Breedlove's "Spirit of America" on display there. Set the world's speed record at the time:

800px-SpiritOfAmerica_CraigBreedlove.jpg

I always have to tell what I had heard - that Craig Breedlove said they had an oil line painted on the salt flats for him to follow (probably an EPA violation today), and at speed, he drifted a bit to one side. He recalled that as he corrected, there were tremendous g-forces pushing him to the side of the 'cockpit'. When they went back, the determined he had only drifted off ~10 feet!

-ERD50

You are correct, they stopped the black line about 4-5 years ago due to EPA issues. I forget exact year, but was fairly recently. I go to Bonneville Speedweek every year. Speedweek is different in that all are powered through the wheels, no thrust cars like Breedlove's above. Fastest streamliners are in the low 400's mph recently. Whole lot of various vehicles and motorcycles in the 150-250 mph range.

With my pending house sale and moving, this year will be the first time for me missing Speedweek since 2002.

Craig Breedlove Spirit of America VS Art Arfons Green Monster .

Remember when Don Garlets broke the 200 Mph in 1/4 mile . Now I think they are over 300 MPH in a 1/4 mile

Craig Breedlove Spirit of America VS Art Arfons Green Monster .

Remember when Don Garlets broke the 200 Mph in 1/4 mile . Now I think they are over 300 MPH in a 1/4 mile

I think they are going 300+ MPH in less than 1/4 mile...

Just looked it up... the top cars do 1,000 ft instead of the 1320 for the 1/4 mile... and are hitting as high as 328 MPH...

I used to build model cars on front porch with my brother listening to Beach boys when they announced Don Garlits broke 200 Mph . We probably compared that to the space shuttle.

Our dad took us to the drag races a few times , we lived in Ohio . I seen my first dragster . The only one that showed up Dick Padar an Edsel powered dragster . It must have been early 60's

I did the same, only with a strong enough headwind that looking at my ground track showed I was moving slowly backwards.

Way cool! I was hoping to do that but couldn't quite pull it off.

Bought a BMW roadster a few years before we retired on a lark. It has been a gateway to a lot of fun activities: car shows, road rallies, club cruises, and track nights. It has become its own hobby! IMG_9616.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9616.JPG
    IMG_9616.JPG
    335.8 KB · Views: 26
My youngest (still in high school) is close to finishing their license.

Knowing I'm more than a little nervous in small planes, they graciously offered the back seat the day their instructor had them practicing stall recoveries.

The OP lives in Austria! So a Porsche can be driven and enjoyed as designed. My bucket list isn't that long, but to drive on the 'ring is one of them. A new 714 would be the perfect car for that!

Original owner of a low mile 1997 Porsche 993 C4S bought a couple of years after retirement that happily still resides in my garage. Replaced Ferrari bought before retirement. Figured I ought to be a little more prudent with no paycheck. Maintenance on the Ferrari was heart stopping...

Last edited:
On a whim, picked up a 2007 Solara convertable last week. Private deal. Low mileage, garaged in winter, everything in good order sold me. Plus, I very much like Toyota product.

Hardly a sports car but it is very comfortable.

It is very unlike me to buy something like this on a whim. DW is concerned!

Last edited:
Any experiences here with a Lotus Evora? Have been admiring it from a distance but never actually driven one.

Any experiences here with a Lotus Evora? Have been admiring it from a distance but never actually driven one.

Have owned Lotus Elans ('67 convertible, '68 coupe and a '72 plus 2) and a '70 Europa, which the Evora only shares a common name with: these others being Colin Chapman creations from the heyday of Lotus.

On a whim, picked up a 2007 Solara convertable last week. Private deal. Low mileage, garaged in winter, everything in good order sold me. Plus, I very much like Toyota product.

Hardly a sports car but it is very comfortable.

It is very unlike me to buy something like this on a whim. DW is concerned!

This would be my idea of a sports car. Like the look of them and I think I wouldnt need a shoe horn to get me in and out of it.

why is it that people with sports cars like to post pictures?

Attachments

• 1586682.jpg
    1586682.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 1586680.jpg
    1586680.jpg
    483.5 KB · Views: 46
I have been in numerous sports car including high end. Maybe it is my age but i do not find them comfortable in the least. Sister is on her third Miata. I don't even want to borrow it when we visit.

One exception was a Chrysler Crossfire rental that we had for a week. We found it very comfortable and easy to drive. I would not thank you for a Vette.

I have been in numerous sports car including high end. Maybe it is my age but i do not find them comfortable in the least. Sister is on her third Miata. I don't even want to borrow it when we visit.

One exception was a Chrysler Crossfire rental that we had for a week. We found it very comfortable and easy to drive. I would not thank you for a Vette.

+1 that echos my post, glad Im not the only one.

Well, I'll stipulate that they have a good reputation but IMO it's more due to good marketing than to the street cars being anything really exceptional. For example, the 911 design with that engine hung behind the rear axle derives from the VW beetle. It is not something a car designer starting with a blank sheet of paper would ever draw. But they invested a lot of marketing money, including doing a lot of racing, and built an image. One of the cliche 911racing images has a front view of a car storming through a corner with the inside front wheel lifted off the track surface. That's because there is a humongous front anti-roll (aka "sway") bar needed to reduce the adhesion of the front to balance the poor adhesion at the back due to the far aft CG. AFIK no serious Porsche race car ever used the rear engine design. Definitely nothing from the 904 (my dream car) forward. So the current cars benefit from the marketing legacy but they also, I'm sure, handle well.

Porsche also benefited from weak competition in the US market. The pony cars all featured oxcart (solid rear axle) suspensions. The Corvette suspensions were better but the cars were/are too heavy to really be a sports car. (I know, I know, some people will vehemently disagree.) Lotus had the Elan, which handled like a dream but was seriously compromised as a daily driver. The Lotus Seven and Europa were even less useful, but any of the three would blow a 911 into the weeds on a twisty course. Alfa was around for a while in the 70s, but with a hopelessly uncompetitive DeDion rear axle design.

Finally, even if there is a tiny advantage it will be invisible in a street car because they are driven at the limit only accidentally. A Good Thing, too, as being at the limit on the street is dangerous for many reasons. So ... no, I don't think the Porsches are anything special compared to other modern cars that are designed with similar objectives.

I disagree, but then I'm a huge Porsche fanboy, so feel free to discount my opinion. Here are some FACTS:

In German motor journalism, it's kind of a big deal how fast a performance car can do a lap on the Nürburgring Nordschleife. That tells you more than just the number of bhp, or how fast it can accelerate from 60-80km/h. Here's a list of the fastest lap times ever recorded by auto motor und sport (always the same driver, weather conditions obviously vary): Rundenzeiten Nürburgring-Nordschleife - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

All these are normal production cars licensed for road use, not race cars. You will find 6 different 911s among the top 17, all with the less-than-optimal rear engine. If you are interested in what Porsche engineers can do with a mid-engine layout, look no further than #1.

So, no: Porsches are special. They are the finest performance cars in the world. :greetings10:

Congratulations to the OP! You made a great choice.

Porsche fan too, my third. A 2002 911 bought in late '07 with 30k on it for $32k. Sticker was $92k. Now have 58k on it, could sell it for $23k easy, maybe a bit more. Nothing depreciates faster than a new Porsche, or holds its value better than an old one. I do my own wrenching, and.believe in PM, so costs have been minimal, but I preemptively replaced the RMS, IMS bearing, water pump, oil separator, coolant tank, installed the IMS Guard, etc. Only failures, most from wear, none catastrophic or debilitating were oil sending unit, headlight switch, ignition swith contact module, one radiator fan resistor, motor mounts, and passenger window regulator cable. I installed PSS9s, low temp tstat. Really enjoy driving it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom