The Villages or Something Similar in Florida?

rathgar

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello,
Hoping to retire to Florida soon.
Top priority is having some type of social life, the ability to meet others and make friendships.
The Villages is loaded with social activity - I'm wondering if anyone has had experience there?
Are there any communities that are similar to the Villages in Florida? Maybe slightly toned down?
Thanks

There are many 55+ communities in FLA.
If the political leanings of where you live matter to you, be sure to check out this aspect.

Rathgar, the Search function should reveal a few fairly recent Villages discussions on the Forum. One member, rayinpenn, posted a detailed report on his visit there.

Just saw "Some Kind of Heaven" about the Villages. My friend who recommended it to me was left with a negative impression but I thought the place looked very interesting.

Hello,
Hoping to retire to Florida soon.
Top priority is having some type of social life, the ability to meet others and make friendships.
The Villages is loaded with social activity - I'm wondering if anyone has had experience there?
Are there any communities that are similar to the Villages in Florida? Maybe slightly toned down?
Thanks

Get ready for a lot of "I wouldn't want to live there" comments. They generally come out in volume when someone asks about the Villages.

We have friends who live there part time and love it. Knowing them and their personalities, it's not surprising. We visited them and got a sample for ourselves. Like any community with a strong "personality," it fits some folks very well and others not so much. You need to visit and see how it fits you.

Don't be overly influenced by the naysayers or the advocates. They're not you.

I have never visited The Villages, and agree with others that a visit would be needed in order to form a proper opinion.

Opinions are funny. When I lived with my parents in south Florida 40+ years ago, the area where The Villages now sits was considered, by native Floridians, to have an unsuitable climate (excessive heat/humidity) for human habitation. It was cattle ranches back then.

Clearly, the popular opinion was wrong, since many humans now live there!

I've visited The Villages and I like it, but it is a bit too cold there for my taste. My parents lived in Sun City Center, FL for years. SCC is similar to The Villages but smaller scale and being further south gets less freezing nights.

Both communities are very old... we retired at 56 and are 65 now and the average age in those communities is much higher.

I have been there for a visit to see what it is like. It just wasn't my "cup of tea" but you may be different. The only reason I would go back for a visit would be for one of the occasional large car shows.

I would suggest looking into the possibility of renting for a while before committing to any move.

Cheers!

There are many 55+ communities in FLA.
If the political leanings of where you live matter to you, be sure to check out this aspect.
That can be a big turn off if one doesn't blend in with the beliefs of the Villages residents

That can be a big turn off if one doesn't blend in with the beliefs of the Villages residents
Conversely, we had a few church members who felt like they didn't fit in here belief-wise and moved down there just for the political leanings of the community.

Hey, to each their own. Not everyone wants to live in Portland either.

Reminds me of The Prisoner, that old 60s show with Patrick McGoohan. They had a Village, too.

"Whose side are you on?"
"That would be telling."

51XRkItYsmL._AC_.jpg

We have friends who live in a Del Webb community in Palm Desert and love it. Pre-covid, they had plenty of activities to keep them busy.

We visited in 2018 and were impressed with the beautiful landscaping and various clubhouses/pools/work-out options.

There are a few Del Webb communities in Florida which may be worth checking out.

Is that really an issue for your average person? I belong to a few groups, golf leagues, etc and have no idea of their political leanings. Same for my neighbors and even most family members. Sure there's always a guy or two who can't help himself with spouting political crap but for the most part it's not an issue.

I have wondered about simply picking a large 55+ community that I like for amenities and weather but quietly refuse to engage in political discussions when they come up. Refusing to talk out loud about “money, religion or politics” used to serve polite people well, so what would happen if a person just clammed up about those inherently divisive topics and focused on the commonalities? Radical idea, I realize.

Is that really an issue for your average person? I belong to a few groups, golf leagues, etc and have no idea of their political leanings. Same for my neighbors and even most family members. Sure there's always a guy or two who can't help himself with spouting political crap but for the most part it's not an issue.
That's true especially the Village resident idiot who mouthed off on video during a golf cart rally parade last year.

Let’s please steer away from the politics and keep this as a useful thread. :flowers:

If you don't mind apartment building type living but lots of activities, gyms, pools, local bus transportation you could look into Century Village in West Palm, Deerfield Beach and Boca Raton.

If you don't mind apartment building type living but lots of activities, gyms, pools, local bus transportation you could look into Century Village in West Palm, Deerfield Beach and Boca Raton.
These also all have a very strong New York vibe. Nothing wrong with that, just sayin' a midwesterner may feel out of place.

In my opinion, the point of any relocation talk is not to listen to a bunch of "some guys/gals on the internet," but to instead go to your target location and stay there a while. Preferably rent for a few months. Visit during different seasons. Check it out deeply, don't just read blather from us.

I live in central Florida and can highly recommend three +55 communities. Lake Ashton in Winter Haven/Lake Wales is lovely. High Vista in Davenport is really nice, and Del Webb in Davenport is also very nice. Active communities all...and all with a golf course. I believe they are all sold out so there are resale homes only.

It depends on your budget, I guess. Del Webb homes start at $300K while High Vista and Lake Aston also have $300-$400k homes but with some smaller homes in the lower $200K. There are not many homes available right now. Everything seems to sell within 48 hours of going on the market.

Last edited:
OP - If $$$ is a concern, you could check out https://www.lakegriffinharborfla.com/

A past forum member had a place there and would frequent the Villages when they desired extra social interaction beyond their own small community.

Houses (park models) are available for ~$30K.

Current HOA fees at Lake Griffin Harbor are $580 per month. So, there is that to consider.

Current HOA fees at Lake Griffin Harbor are $580 per month. So, there is that to consider.

I think there are HOA fees at most (all?) 55+ communities, but it does include some things a person would have to pay for anyways.

ETA: part of that fee is rent of the land, as buying a home there literally means just the home, not the land. It has been around a long time.

The Villages has a 4-7 night visitation program for folks who might be interested:

https://www.thevillages.com/lifestyle-preview-plan

FWIW, no one I personally know has chosen to move into The Villages after a visit.

omni

I bet that if the visitation program, otherwise known as a Lifestyle Preview did not generate a lot of home sales the Morse family would have discontinued them long ago. I think new home sales are about 2500 units/year, not even counting resales.

Back
Top Bottom