Those who cannot retire...

Entertainers. Think of Bob Hope and George Burns.
Although in their case I think we can give them a pass because they brought joy to so many.
There's a Q&A session with Stevie Nicks in the current issue of Rolling Stone magazine. She said that she'll never retire, and quoted a record company executive friend, who said to her, "When you retire, you just get small." Talk about a quote from someone for whom work is a central part of their identity!

But hey - if it makes you happy and feel fulfilled, go for it. Same thing with the old guys who go into their offices to drink coffee, read magazines, and sleep, unpaid. Whatever floats your boat.

I have to think that they are individuals with no imagination who can't think of anything else to do. Agreed, it's sad.

When I retire early next year, I'll be allowed to keep my office and (part-time) secretary, along with other amenities such as a working gym, library and dining facilities. All the retired partners have the same benefits, and there are nearly 100 of us in different offices across the country. Probably I will use my office and secretary 4 to 8 hours a week when I'm in town, but it could get up to 20 hours or more at peak use. I might just go to the gym every day at first; can't find time for it now.

None of my retired partners come to the office every day, but almost all of us have philanthropic, civic and purely personal needs that explain episodic visits. Nothing "sad" about this that I can see.... And some of my retired partners have soaring imagination and achievements; those that don't, seem to be doing nothing much.

These arrangements (which we have provided to retired partners for about 200 years) are a perquisite of proprietorship and a nod to the ideal that the best professionals remain engaged all their lives. Our retired partners who remain engaged in civic life do a world of good, reflecting positively on everyone. We are pleased to support their post-retirement pursuits, and I will be joining them very soon.

We do move them to smaller, interior offices, but they can show up all they want.

Maybe it's different in partnerships for retired partners (who might still be partners). In my corporate jobs, office space was always at a premium and many people in the cube farm would have dearly loved to have office space. I can hardly imagine the friction from employees pushing hard to get allocated to an office, but stuck in cubes because some old retired guy likes to keep his office to nap or read novels. Could never happen in places I've worked.

Perhaps the retirement "dream" of these folks is exactly what they are doing: sitting at their desk, doing whatever interests them, and having no responsibility. For them, doing these same things at home is a weak substitute.

-BB

The high achievers cited in this thread didn't get where they were without being extremely passionate about what they were doing, i.e., they loved their work. When 90-year-old George Burns was still entertaining crowds, I'm guessing it was because he loved doing it, not because he was scared of retiring. They are different than the average Joes cited by the OP, although these Joes were also probably well above average.

The high achievers cited in this thread didn't get where they were without being extremely passionate about what they were doing, i.e., they loved their work. When 90-year-old George Burns was still entertaining crowds, I'm guessing it was because he loved doing it, not because he was scared of retiring. They are different than the average Joes cited by the OP, although these Joes were also probably well above average.

If you are following your true realized passion and that was your paying job also, there is no need to retire. If you did retire for whatever reason...I can see how you would still want to associate with your culture of people till the Great End. I am outside of the window looking in...I know what my passion is but did not follow the calling and worked a job instead. I retired as soon as I could get away. I think many of us are sorta like my story. However...after having true freedom...there's no way I could work for money no matter what job it would be...(well...maybe Gigolo...). Thinking about it some more...forget that too!

If you are following your true realized passion and that was your paying job also, there is no need to retire. If you did retire for whatever reason...I can see how you would still want to associate with your culture of people till the Great End. I am outside of the window looking in...I know what my passion is but did not follow the calling and worked a job instead. I retired as soon as I could get away. I think many of us are sorta like my story. However...after having true freedom...there's no way I could work for money no matter what job it would be...(well...maybe Gigolo...). Thinking about it some more...forget that too!

LOL Agree with this. For me, work has always been a means to an end, not an end by itself.

I think anybody who works for a megacorp (or maybe even any company), knows folks who work into their 70's (or beyond), even though financially, they do not need to do so.

My thinking is, "Would I continue to work at the same job if I was not paid a salary?" For me, it is an obvious and resounding NO. However, I am sure that some at my megacorp would have to think long and hard about the answer.

But, if that makes someone happy, I have no problem with it. When the day comes that I retire, those folks may look at me and wonder what's wrong with me.

I never liked hanging out in the office though during my career. It was just something you had to do. To me it was kind of like being in jail for the day.

+1. When I want to read a book, on nice days I sit out the patio in the sun, surrounded trees, our dog nearby, birds singing and squirrels running around. To each his own, but I can't imagine wanting to read in an office building if I wasn't getting paid and I could be some place a lot more relaxing.

There's a Q&A session with Stevie Nicks in the current issue of Rolling Stone magazine. She said that she'll never retire, and quoted a record company executive friend, who said to her, "When you retire, you just get small." Talk about a quote from someone for whom work is a central part of their identity!

But hey - if it makes you happy and feel fulfilled, go for it. Same thing with the old guys who go into their offices to drink coffee, read magazines, and sleep, unpaid. Whatever floats your boat.

+1 for "whatever floats your boat" ... I'm just glad I don't need my work identity any more and can move on to a life that fulfills me in a different way. I'm consciously avoiding activities that feel similar to my career and trying new ones that are very different. Who knows how I'll feel in a year but right now leaving my previous identity behind and seeing if I can find a different path seems best. YMMV

When I retire early next year, I'll be allowed to keep my office and (part-time) secretary, along with other amenities such as a working gym, library and dining facilities. All the retired partners have the same benefits, and there are nearly 100 of us in different offices across the country. Probably I will use my office and secretary 4 to 8 hours a week when I'm in town, but it could get up to 20 hours or more at peak use. I might just go to the gym every day at first; can't find time for it now.

None of my retired partners come to the office every day, but almost all of us have philanthropic, civic and purely personal needs that explain episodic visits. Nothing "sad" about this that I can see.... And some of my retired partners have soaring imagination and achievements; those that don't, seem to be doing nothing much.

These arrangements (which we have provided to retired partners for about 200 years) are a perquisite of proprietorship and a nod to the ideal that the best professionals remain engaged all their lives. Our retired partners who remain engaged in civic life do a world of good, reflecting positively on everyone. We are pleased to support their post-retirement pursuits, and I will be joining them very soon.

Good for you - congratulations! I agree, not sad as long as people are enjoying their lives and even better if they are helping the broader community. Live and let live!

Back
Top Bottom