Those who cannot retire...

medved

Recycles dryer sheets
Of course, many cannot for financial reasons, but that is not what I am referring to. Because that is easy to understand: you don't have enough money, so you keep working.

What I find more curious -- even as I struggle with my own decision about how much longer to work -- are those who can never retire despite having plenty of money.

We have a number of people in my office, in their 80s, who come in every day. We no longer pay them anything and they don't really do anything. But every day. there they are -- sitting in their office, chatting on the phone, reading, napping, etc. I guess there is literally nothing in the world they would prefer to do, as an alternative to sitting in their offices and doing nothing. These are very smart and accomplished people, by the way. But they have no other interests or goals?

Then there is the guy I spoke with, who is in my occupation but at another company, last week. He is mid 70s, I guess. I asked him if he ever thought about retiring. (He has, I am sure, plenty of money). He said "guys like you and I love this too much to ever give it up." Clearly, that was projection, since he could not possibly have any idea whether I love it or not. And I do not. But his view was that intelligent people who do a good job at their work (which he does, and I do, I think) could never retire.

I just don't understand that mindset. Then again, there are lots of people who don't understand my mindset either (early to mid 50s, enough money, don't enjoy the work any more, find it stressful, but cannot pull the plug).

The mind is a strange and complex organ.

That is bizarre. Ex-employees who show up every day at the job they no longer have.

Amazing.

I'd bet that at least some of them simply want to get out of the house.

It sounds like a government employee situation, nobody in high tech last past 70 that I know off. In high tech, they referred to me as old when I was 45. I was surprised myself. I think we were interview employees from Hewlett-Packard and the guy was old and he complained about age discrimination. So the lawyer asked my boss if there was anybody in the old age category and my name was mentioned to the lawyer.

Last edited:
I knew one guy who retired from one place. After a very short retirement his wife found all his shortcomings. He found another job .. which is where I met him. And he was a very smart guy.

Think of Professors who continue working on a emeritus status. They come in and work... some maybe not so much.

I think you'll find that many people get most of their social interaction and identity through their work. It is very hard for many to actually leave it. But many don't work at a place that will allow non-employees in very often.

I bet there are many retirees that have trouble with their self esteem when they have to leave work cold turkey unless their self worth is defined elsewhere in their own mind.

Just my thoughts. No one thought I'd be RE for more than a week... who new. I was always at work.

I was as my old place of employment Tues. First time in about 10 years. I was surprised to see one of my old colleagues there. He had only been back 3 days. I ask him what possessed him to come back. Was he bored or did they make him a offer he could not refuse. He said it was an offer, but I think it had deeper roots. I know for a fact he absolutely does not need the money.

As we were a team in the past I told folks don't look for me to show up next! I found something I am real good at and I practice daily. DOING NOTHING!

I think the important issue is "whether they love what they do". We have conversed before. Assuming one has "enough" and further assuming that he/she actually wants to spend more time with their family or doing things they dreamed about, why would a sane person actually continue doing something they did not want to do........every single day. We are only on the earth for so long.

I suspect the older gentleman you were talking with actually enjoyed doing what he was doing or he had no desire to spend more time with his family (for a variety of reasons perhaps death of a spouse, no children, he was alone etc....). It seems the older gentleman was defined by his work.

I am now retired for 2 months. I get to spend the next six months with my son who is studying at home and taking the CPA exam. I look back on the decision I made 2 years ago to put retirement in motion and I now say thank god I did. I will never get this opportunity again to spend quality time with my son for so long. He starts work full-time in September at a Big 4 accounting firm and then he is off doing his thing. There is no price for the time we are spending together now. Its funny, my wife and I had this same conversation over dinner.

Working after retirement might depend upon the profession or job. When I formerly worked at the USGS they had (have) this thing called Scientist Emeritus Program, for scientists to continue doing their scientific work after they retire. But that wasn't so much a job as a life calling, so I understand that. For us lesser non-scientist beings, who wanted to leave ASAP, that sort of thing would never never even cross our minds.

I know one that can't retire because its all about the money. He will die there.

I know some that don't know how to stop they would truly be lost in life. Lol

I know some that work is all they have and have absolutely no life.

If you have ownership, it can be quite personal.

Working after retirement might depend upon the profession or job. When I formerly worked at the USGS they had (have) this thing called Scientist Emeritus Program, for scientists to continue doing their scientific work after they retire. But that wasn't so much a job as a life calling...

I have seen this as well. Typically they are unimaginably brainy chemists who stuck around until they got so old they weren't safe in a heavy industrial plant anymore. Then they hang out their shingle as consultants and w*rk some more.

Won't be me!

Sounds like the individuals you describe have a good part of their identity wrapped up in their careers. I never had that problem (even though I mostly enjoyed my career). I can imagine though, that if you do, it must be quite frightening to think about what you might do with your time if you can no longer go to work every day. I actually feel kinda sorry for folks like that.

We have a number of people in my office, in their 80s, who come in every day. We no longer pay them anything and they don't really do anything. But every day. there they are -- sitting in their office, chatting on the phone, reading, napping, etc.

That is truly bizarre... They can still get inside the building and the management doesn't mind??

What kind of business is this?

Just what I thought.

If I worked there I would have a serious problem (psycho) with it.

I mean a "stop by" from time to time...but park in an office, chat on the phone, fire up the internet...

I would quit rather than be in that situation.

If you have ownership, it can be quite personal.

ding ding ding. You built the business. Customer by customer. You remember Keith who was your first big account. You rember when Jim was just starting out as an Asst Superintendent. Now he's been building houses for 15 years.

You have been at your employees kids parties. Births & deaths. Some marriages too. You've lent them money. And got paid back (mostly!) You've mentored a employee. Now when you see him out there with another company and he tells you thanks for helping me get the skills it makes you proud.

Those relationships keep me going

I knew one guy who retired from one place. After a very short retirement his wife found all his shortcomings. He found another job .. which is where I met him. And he was a very smart guy.

Yep....saw this sign at a flea market.....
"RETIREMENT: Twice as much husband, half as much money".

Yes, I've seen this phenomenon (sp?) as well. When I was working at the bank there was a floor in our building reserved for "retired executives". These guys were in the top 2-3 people at the bank when they were working, past CEO's, vice chairs,etc. The bank paid for their space and their exec assistants for as long as they wanted. I would go up there and meet with these old codgers from time to time discussing the banks financial results. Some of them had to be in their mid eighties. Why they were putting on their suits and going into the office downtown was beyond me. Habit maybe? Getting out of the house? Seeing their old buddies? Not sure? I certainly wasn't having any of this. Wasn't offered anyway.

These sound like nice companies. Offer a substitute for meeting at McDonalds, where the coffee is too hot, and the Internet too cold.

We have a number of people in my office, in their 80s, who come in every day. We no longer pay them anything and they don't really do anything.
They don't pay them anything and they don't do anything but they are still allowed to "occupy space" in the building? :confused: Never heard of such a thing. There must be more to it than that.

Last edited:
My brother was a lobbyist and worked until 78. He would have kept going if he hadn't developed progressive blindness. He enjoyed his work and had clients but no boss. I saw nothing approaching pathological in his interests. They just were not the same as many of ours. For the ~40 years of my career I would prefer to have had as much engagement in my work as he had. I did fine and enjoyed some of it but would have preferred retired at any point I became FI. I don't see that attitude as better than his.

My megacorp provided an office for the ex-CEO but when his replacement retired, there was no longer any need for the office.

They don't pay them anything and they don't do anything but they are still allowed to "occupy space" in the building? :confused: Never heard of such a thing. There must be more to it than that.

Did they take away their staplers?

I'm not surprised that some people would rather work than any other activity. Not everyone considers work anathema like some here.

It is more surprising when folks continue to show up when they are no longer being paid, I've never worked anywhere that would allow it even for former employees. But if they're happy doing it, and company management doesn't have a problem with it, what do we care? It's not sad at all, as some here have concluded.

I never went back to work. But for several months after I retired, more than once I dreamed that I was still going to work full time, without pay or position - but with more stress than ever! My unconscious mind created realistic, unsolvable issues and insisted I address them, or I couldn't go home! Fortunately that craziness didn't last long.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom