Too Frugal - Anybody Else Struggle Spending Too LITTLE?

SO MUCH great stuff in this thread. I want to reply to everyone, but since I don't want to create a huge mess, here are a few that I thought I should start with:

The challenge is that most of “us” here had to develop fairly frugal habits to get to FIRE.

It DOES take some time to get used to spending more money.
Exactly!!! It's hard (impossible) for me to just completely switch tracks from the one that got me to this place of having $$ to spend!

Frugal, in and of itself, is not bad. It's bad if you can have a better life that you can afford, and don't do so in the name of being frugal.
You're spot-on, and unfortunately this is the situation I'm in and have been in. :( Denying myself (and my family) of happiness and reduced stress because of my fears of losing control and flexibility that having lots of $$ provides!

How much are you spending? At your age, a diversified investment portfolio should be able to handle about a 2.5% withdrawal rate annually with little risk of you outliving your money.
There have definitely been a few questions in this thread asking how much I'm spending relative to my portfolio. I clearly need to figure this out. :facepalm:

One question for you to consider is whether the "too frugal" judgment is coming from others or from yourself. If its from others, I'd say don't worry about it. If that's what you really think, then you'll probably be able to change.
BRILLIANT questions! In the past (when I had less than now, but still more than most) I didn't consider myself "cheap", but family and friends definitely did. Now that I'm older, wiser, and richer, I'm VERY aware that others think I'm being too cheap AND I'm also aware of it. I'm on a path towards dying with way way too much money.

2. Your own mortality will creep up on you and you'll realize (a) you can't take it with you and (b) you need to do what you enjoy now even if it costs money, because you may not be able to later.
YES! This is DEFINITELY a big part of what I'm dealing with. I see rich/famous people with all the resources and money that die not much older than me, and I realize "what's the point of saving tons of money if I die young?"

3. Find out what you value that you can use money for. For me, I've discovered that I like using money to make bothersome problems go away. So, for example, if my car oil needs changing in February, but it's cold outside, I'll take it to the nice oil change shop and spend $50. Which is too much for an oil change, but it makes a problem go away.

b. I have a threshold amount of dollars that I've decided I don't need to worry about. Currently it's about $200 although I'm mulling over increasing it. Below this threshold, I just don't bother. So if Target offers me a $50 discount for signing up for their store card or whatever - nope, it's not worth the hassle factor. This allows me to skip agonizing over things or spending brain power on stuff that won't move the needle enough any more. It also then frees my mind and time to focus on the bigger items that do matter.
Great advice! I need to do more of this!!!

Think about how your frugality affects your immediate family. Are they shivering under blankets in the evening because you won’t turn the thermostat above 64 degrees? Probably too frugal. Are your kids missing out on extracurricular activities because you won’t pay for them (but you can afford it)? Might be too frugal. Are the teens whining because all their friends got a new car for their birthday but not them? Probably NOT too frugal.
Ugh, yup, I've definitely been "too frugal" i.e., CHEAP! :(

Do you have a spouse/partner/children? If so their input matters more than ours. If you are asking them to forgo "normal" stuff, that's a concern.
Yes and yes, and yes! ;) It's their input + my financial situation that is really impacting my concerns about how I view / interact with money!

Ah a breath of fresh air for spending.
A good thread would be a follow up years later on "I should have spent more now that I am 90".
Yup, that's how I feel now... and worry it will get worse over time if I don't change things!

Yep, I'm guilty of this all the time. A bit on the cheap er I mean frugal side, and I'm also a bit of a hoarder. My problem is that I just can't bear to get rid of something that I feel might be of use later...either to myself or someone else.
Ugh... same!

Robbie and Marko's posts reinforce something I've really noticed in the years I've retired. My go-to is the Fidelity calculator and to a lesser degree Firecalc. We all seem to get so focused on the worst case scenarios; for example Fido's "worst 10%" case. And by golly it hasn't happened in the 10 years I've been out free, except maybe in March of 2020. So we all so focus on the safety of these conservative assumptions. All appropriate IMO, but it also argues for a bit of optimistic harvesting now and then
Ugh, I totally get too worried about "worst case" even if mine only has a .00001% chance of happening. I need to adjust my risk-assessment based on actual data vs. making decisions on fear-based reactions.

The root of the problem is that, until I get my crystal ball back from the shop, I can never be sure what the future will bring...or cost! If I retire and the markets allow my nest egg to continue to grow even with a 3-4% WR, I'll feel OK about any future medical or legal troubles. But I could retire into a record-setting depression. Only time will tell if "enough" is really enough.

We are in the first ever month of no income. Our first month of full retirement.

DH and I are cracking up! Should we pull into McDonalds and get a coffee? Should I get the good box of wine or the OK box of wine? Should he buy that part for his truck that he has been looking at for a year? We don't know how to do it.

I said let's just see what we spent after a few months and then we will feel better. After getting some groceries this morning (extra due to storm forecast) he said do you know how many times we've been to the grocery store this month? Everything has changed and it is pretty hysterical!

DH and I are cracking up! Should we pull into McDonalds and get a coffee? Should I get the good box of wine or the OK box of wine? Should he buy that part for his truck that he has been looking at for a year? We don't know how to do it.

Good news: now you have time to figger it out! And you will. :)

Hi! Welcome to FIRE
So, my questions for anybody reading and/or interested:

1. Am I the only one that struggles with spending money?
  2. Does anybody else have problems with being "too frugal"?
  3. How does one overcome these kinds of struggles?
I could've written your post. I know that I can spend but it's hard. I could just hand my current 2 projects over to someone more qualified than me. But it's hard. So I refinished all my cupboards instead of just hiring a woodworker to do it. I painted my cooktop black with BBQ paint instead of replacing (FWIW doesn't work). I've had holes in the laundry room lino and family's room carpet ever since I walked out of county 20 yrs ago to work in private sector. I've picked flooring 2× only to have it become unavailable because of procrastination. I finally pulled the plug yesterday and bought cooktop / mocha bamboo to replace carpet / mocha engineered wood to replace lino / hired contractor to do labor. Now I'm trying to figure out if I just pay it out of my day-to-day checking, short-term savings, or brokerage. Really should have him add 40 yr old worn out sofa set to dump run.

So hard to go from a saver to spender but I'm learning to spend monthly income and save very little of it (just 20% this month)

Last edited:
I"ve mentioned here a few times about an older guy I met in a tavern 10 years ago.

He said: "You're 60? Enjoy it now. Even if you live to be 90 all you've got is 15 more years...18 tops before you start to slow down, don't want to do what you now like to do, lose interest in other things and so on."
THIS! YES! 2nd to "I might die tomorrow with a ton of money!!" concern, this is a VERY close 2nd! What's the point of putting off great things now, having millions at age 80, if I'm in no physical (or mental) state to even really enjoy it like I can now (or could have 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago)?!?!?

What I did is to create a budget - no, not that kind. I created a SPENDING budget! Meaning, I would force myself to spend some very small amount each month, like $10 on mp3s.
I joke with friends that i need a budget to force me to spend money... like "OH look, I haven't bought new clothes in x years and my clothing budget has built up to $6,000!" I'm honestly trying to do more of this... forcing myself to spend $$ on categories.

I am talking to myself really but, five years ago I told my siblings we have 10 good summers yet better get to doing things! They all laughed at me. Sure enough DW diagnosis of early breast cancer ruined this summer with surgeries. As a friend told me you have get things done now because when you turn 70, he said all your doing is patching yourself up. SO GET TO SPENDING MONEY!! I still have hard time doing it.
Wow, that's really hard... and stories like this are VERY helpful in motivating me to be less cheap!!!

But to me it definitely sounds like you can loosen the purse strings. Keep in mind you can always cut back again later and/or work part time as needed depending on preference later.
This is another HUGE truth I have to keep saying to myself! Even my VERY worst case, I'll still have plenty... and even then I can always cut back if needed.

The main way I can think to raise our quality of life with money is house upgrades, and we could do with some of those, but they are not exactly throw money tada problem solved. More like... first find a good contractor. You can tell the good ones because they are booked a year in advance. I haven't gotten past this step so the rest is just gloomy speculation! Find several of them and get quotes. Realize it will be 4x higher than the high end of the price range you researched, make your peace with that. Before all that, plan for what exactly to do, defer to the wife on design questions, but also she needs help deciding so spend a lot of time looking at pictures on websites. However put all plans on hold if a pandemic comes along. Once the work is done, DO NOT do what some friends of ours have done, which is get involved in multi-year legal disputes with the contractors afterwards.
Yup! I'm in the middle of deciding how much to spend on a HUGE remodel. This could be the biggest and fastest way for me to find a GREAT architect and contractor... then say, "Just make it happen!" and spend a ton of $$!

A former co-worker passed away at age 59 this past summer. I'd known him for 30 years and was familiar with his financial situation. He retired early taking a pension penalty at age 50 but had about $500,000 in savings. He also owned a paid off house worth about $300k.

He lived comfortably off his reduced pension because he had very few hobbies and no expensive tastes. He could have enjoyed some of his money but chose to let it sit there. His sister and her husband are the beneficiaries of his frugal lifestyle.
These stories speak to me. I'm always sacrificed my (and others) happiness for stockpiling... and for what? So I can die with a bunch of money and it going to my kids well after I've already ruined relationships with them from being too cheap?

I have comments about this due to experience from family and one friend. Are you Frugal or cheap? Frugal is good, cheap is not. In many cases, frugality only affects the party making the purchases, not those around them, which is why those who are viewed as cheap can sometimes rub friends and family the wrong way with their spending habits.
YES! I appreciate y'all posting this quote: "Frugal is how you treat yourself. Cheap is how you treat others"

While my frugality has helped me and my family not be as stressed... my cheapness has made my, and other's lives worse in other ways. Fortunately not as bad as my parents (they REALLY messed up with relationships by being too cheap, and died with a ton of money)... but I have a long ways to go!

FIRE-Traveler, you worry too much, keep working on it. I was like that once - for a very long time. It takes time and a lot of brutal adversity and real life experience to become enlightened.

The secret to life is to really be happy with what you have, especially if you've been knocked down on your knees, not once but multiple times. Then you're on your way.
Yup, I definitely worry too much about both not having enough, and having too much. I'd LOVE to deeply learn that what I have is "enough"!!!!

My uncle, now 92 yo who was extremely frugal all his life. He tells me that he now regrets it but even now, health failing, he will not spend money where he needs it.
Yup, my parents were like this and I worry that even with the changes I've made, I'm on a similar path!

I was fairly frugal until my sister just passed away a few months ago. She was always a saver and at age 47 leaving behind 3 children as a single mother it was probably a good thing she was so frugal and such a good businesswomen to build the nestegg she did have.

We used to always discuss business, real estate and investing when she was healthy..but as soon as she became ill enough, the conversations changed to more important life things like how my friends were coming along and how the family is doing. The past three months we didn't discuss anything to do with money, as it simply did not matter. She/we knew the end was coming and the cancer was not going to digress. She kinda taught me what is really important in life, and its not about saving every last penny and being frugal to a fault. I loosened up the strings a bit, saved a little bit less this year, and enjoyed some of the wealth we had spent years feverishly accumulating.
Thank you for sharing this! It's stories like these that REALLY help kick my ass into trying to have a different perspective... but it's very hard for me to maintain that perspective!

Yesterday I had a flat tire and pulled it off in the garage and took it to a local tire shop. They informed me they probably couldn't get to it until today. I fretted about whether I would need a new tire which would screw up my rotation and cost a few hundred dollars. When I got the news of a simple fix and no charge I was elated. Meanwhile the big jump in my investment accounts over the same number of hours meant nothing. I guess I'll always, at some level, have a poor man's mentality.
Ugh, this is totally my life! I can see my investments go up by $100k in one day, but the $50 Chili's gift certificate that expired today is taking up WAY more of my mental state and stressing me out! :facepalm:

Almost eight years in, so I have had to think about this and adjust. There are some things where the extra money brings me happiness or ease or comfort and I don't mind splurging for those things. But we still eat a lot at home with fairly inexpensive groceries. For example, I like fresh fruits and vegetables, so I don't worry about those costs.

If there is something that one of us wants, I usually go ahead and buy it, but we seem to want modest things, so there you go. Those are the habits that are hard to let go.

Ugh, this is totally my life! I can see my investments go up by $100k in one day, but the $50 Chili's gift certificate that expired today is taking up WAY more of my mental state and stressing me out! :facepalm:

... and I just fell victim to this! I bought something on ebay and just 5 minutes later see another listing (FROM THE SAME SELLER FOR THE SAME THING) that is 25% less, and I can't change my order.

Here I am bothered... and it's only representing about 1/30'th of what I make per hour in passive $$$.

So ridiculous!

:mad:

And I still remember, with regret, a coupon that I left on top of the self-checkout register a week or two ago that I forgot to cash in.... :facepalm:

Here's a recent article from Humble Dollar about spending more:

https://humbledollar.com/2022/02/retire-those-fears/

One important rebalancing point occurred in late 2016, when United Airlines failed to upgrade us from economy to business class on either leg of a long trip from California to Israel. It dawned on us that we’re sufficiently old and sufficiently well-off to afford business class on long trips, and this is what we have done ever since. And we have increased substantially our contributions to the needy and to support the causes that matter to us.

I'm not sure spending on Business Class is how I would choose to spend more, but I get his point.

And I still remember, with regret, a coupon that I left on top of the self-checkout register a week or two ago that I forgot to cash in.... :facepalm:

I've said this before...I have a friend with a high net worth (upper 7 figures). We share golf coupons.

I've said this before...I have a friend with a high net worth (upper 7 figures). We share golf coupons.

And, by the way, thanks A LOT for reminding me of this. I had just about managed to forget about this! :LOL:

Was checking out a big indoor farmer's market today. All the produce was way too expensive for me to allow myself to spend money on it. However, I found an Amish style counter, that had Reuben sandwich on the menu for $7.99, which I think is inexpensive for around here, so yes, I ordered myself a Reuben sandwich! And it was perfect! Money well spent.

What do you mean, just because my wife bought a bag full of pants and shirts for $5 at the local Habitat for Humanity store, What do you mean!
OK, I have to say there was some nice stuff in there that I will wear. The reason I now have 10 (new to me) pairs of pants is because, I bought myself a new pair of shorts, and this is a lesson to me that she can get 10 pairs for 50% of what I paid for one pair. I have no doubt this is until I die. She will never understand she doesn't need to do that. It is part of her, deal making is in her blood. Did I tell you about the car she negotiated on and we bought for $4,000, drove it 11 years and sold it for $2,900. And even the guy that bought it came back a week later to get the second key and he could not have gushed more about what a great car it was.
Yes, we struggle.

Was checking out a big indoor farmer's market today. All the produce was way too expensive for me to allow myself to spend money on it. However, I found an Amish style counter, that had Reuben sandwich on the menu for $7.99, which I think is inexpensive for around here, so yes, I ordered myself a Reuben sandwich! And it was perfect! Money well spent.
Now you went and done it! I just finished dinner and should be OK, but now I want a Reuben sandwich. I bet it was really good. From what I know, the Amish do things well.

Now you went and done it! I just finished dinner and should be OK, but now I want a Reuben sandwich. I bet it was really good. From what I know, the Amish do things well.

Now that I have found this inexpensive and tasty Reuben source, Ill be back to score again. And again. And again.......... LOL. I even have to drive 7 miles to get there, too. Oh, the extravagance! But I justify it by A) getting out of the house and B) walking around the rest of the huge market.

My DD is in her late 40's and I was just cruising thru some old photos in a box I ran across. There was one in there that I recognized the shirt I was wearing as one I still wear. We were on bicycles and she was only 8 years old then. My DW told me that day --you need to get rid of that shirt! But it don't have any holes in it!!!! LOL

I'm finally able to throw out teabags after JUST ONE CUP! :clap::LOL:

Heck, no way!

Our tea would be a lot stronger than we like. And strong tea stains your teeth, do you know that?

My DD is in her late 40's and I was just cruising thru some old photos in a box I ran across. There was one in there that I recognized the shirt I was wearing as one I still wear. We were on bicycles and she was only 8 years old then. My DW told me that day --you need to get rid of that shirt! But it don't have any holes in it!!!! LOL

You treat your t-shirt too gingerly.

I don't have any t-shirt that old, because when I lay on my back on cinder gravel to work on my cars, the sharp edges always cut small holes in the shirt back.

I realize that I am unnecessarily frugal. For example, we have never had cable tv. I recently subscribed to Netflix. Last night, when we were deciding what to watch, DH picked something from a free streaming service to watch. I reminded him that I was canceling Netflix at the end of the month and if there was anything he wanted to see he should go ahead and watch it now.

Really? I can well afford Netflix but I am super careful about anything that is an ongoing expense.

Back
Top Bottom