what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
News from over the weekend: my wife will be starting a role as assistant minister for our home congregation. We were looking for a place for her over several months and it turns out our pastor wants to cut back on his hours and floated a "job sharing" arrangement to the congregation at our annual meeting last Sunday, which it approved. So now she has a "call"... sort of. And we don't even have to move!

This will enable her to start the process of entering a formal program in conjunction with a seminary offering courses in Austin -- which provides an alternative path to becoming an ordained pastor in 3-4 years.

News from over the weekend: my wife will be starting a role as assistant minister for our home congregation. We were looking for a place for her over several months and it turns out our pastor wants to cut back on his hours and floated a "job sharing" arrangement to the congregation at our annual meeting last Sunday, which it approved. So now she has a "call"... sort of. And we don't even have to move!

This will enable her to start the process of entering a formal program in conjunction with a seminary offering courses in Austin -- which provides an alternative path to becoming an ordained pastor in 3-4 years.

Congrats to her. It sounds like a win-win situation for both of them.

News from over the weekend: my wife will be starting a role as assistant minister for our home congregation.

That's really great news, Ziggy.

Wow, Ziggy, this is great news! Congratulations to your DW. How terrific that you don't have to move, too. :)

Worked. My co-worker took me out to lunch for my birthday (54), with his wife & their new son. Otherwise, a fairly uneventful day.

Hi everyone :greetings10:
I took a break from the site, no particular reason, just got busy with other things. Next time I'll leave a note to that effect. :blush:
I am happy to report that Mr B made the President's List with a GPA of 4.0 (4 As in all 4 courses) last semester. We made a copy and sent it to his Mom.
I came out of the holidays with a weight gain of 5 lbs. Argh! Better get my keister back in gear. :dance:
:cool:

Welcome back. Did miss you and I reeeally understand the busy part. Holiday weight gain here too. :( Oh well it was worth it. :LOL:

After a year of prodding from DW I finally took about three shelves worth of books to a used bookstore. The odd part was that we loaded the books in the back of the pickup while it was in the garage and for some reason I forgot to put the tailgate back up and close the window on the camper shell. We didn't discover this until we arrived at the bookstore but apparently none were left in a trail between home and the store.

Net was $8, which contributed to lunch on the way back home. I didn't expect much for them but I just hate throwing out books.

Walt, I hate throwing books away too! Good idea to sell them. When we were preparing for the move-that-never-happened, I gave most of my books to the library. They were pleased to get donated books, and were even glad to get outdated technical books. They allowed us to park in a special space right by the door, and provided a cart and someone to help F. and me in bringing the books inside.

I'll bet you and your DW would appreciate the joys of reading on a Kindle or other e-reader, if you don't have one already. I think mine holds 2500 books. No need for bookcases, dusting, or lugging off to the used bookstore when you are done with them. I never buy conventional paper books any more.

Last edited:
I made a nice custom-made built-in bookcase just for paperbacks. Floor to ceiling and it is full. But it is totally obsolete, since I now read on the iPod or get books from the library. The books are just attracting mold.

I am running out of things to do around the house, so I will get Zelinkski's book out and pick a new life adventure to pursue while Mr B cracks the books again this semester. He has a course that heavily involves algebra, so I will be his math tutor for that. I'll be using 3 dimensional objects to help him get the concepts down. This oughta be good. :cool:

Gotta say, that would motivate me to move directly to integral calculus. ;)

Wow, Ziggy, this is great news! Congratulations to your DW. How terrific that you don't have to move, too. :)
Yeah, that's pretty cool. The church does own clergy housing that is now vacant so that may be an option down the road, especially if my FIL moves down here as he plans to before too long. He could rent our current house and we could move into the parsonage. It's only 5 blocks away from here.

It also was enough of a "family status change" to motivate me this morning into updating my "Letter from your Dead Husband" document I leave for her concerning our financials, since I haven't done that since October 2010. She now theoretically has a fallback group health insurance option through the churchwide organization, though my current benefits are considerably better and she may be able to do better for now on the individual market. Still, it's nice that we have that fallback available.

Walked into town this morning with DH as the snow started to fall--drugstore, library, post office, Blockbuster, Starbucks, and back home with pockets full of snowflakes. Since we haven't had much of the white stuff yet this year, it was wonderful to be out in it.

Traditionally the coming week is the coldest week of the year for us, so spring here we come!

It's 84º here now. Looking at the 10-day forecast now, it's pretty much official -- this is The Year There Was No Winter.

Now that you have connections with the Big Guy upstairs through your DW, maybe you can ask for things to get back to normal soon.

I made the bed, straightened up the master bathroom, bought groceries and worked out in the yard.

DH read a magazine, puttered around in the garage while drinking a beer, then posed for me in his new m/c jacket.

:rolleyes:

:)

Attachments

• DSC02983.jpg
    DSC02983.jpg
    500.1 KB · Views: 19
Shoveled for the 3rd time already and it's still coming down. Probably 6" so far. Luckily it's not wet and heavy stuff.

We went to the gym and I had a great time - - knocked myself out completing my full routine with the 19 weight machines, and was dripping wet by the time I was done (TMI, I know, but at least I knew I did something). Didn't have to wait for even one machine. After changing and freshening up, we split a chicken caesar wrap for lunch. Then walked around Best Buy, which seemed pretty challenging in itself since my legs already felt like spaghetti from the gym and we didn't skip a single aisle. Didn't buy a thing. Off for a pleasure drive which took us around the Faubourg Marigny and elsewhere while conversing about everything under the sun. Now that I am home, I'm trying to get up the energy to get on my exercycle while I watch the evening news, and after that I'll work on my knitting, and then read until bedtime. This is W2R heaven.

Just got back from a trip to visit DW and my last trip to the office. My boss hosted a nice retirement party after work at a local watering hole. A lot of colleagues dropped in to say hello and "see you later". It was quite nice. Almost makes me want to go back to w*rk. Well, let's not get carried away....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom