what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I continued my house decluttering. I have let go of tax filings, bank statements and all sorts of personal documents dating back up to 25 years. (keeping the last 7 years of tax filings of course!) Off they go to the shredder! It is very cathartic. Everybody should move periodically.

Thank you Meadbh! I am still stuck in the last century:LOL:

Not at all! Here's how I did it.

1. Click on picture to enlarge it; discover it is a jpeg file.
2. Rightclick, save (to my own computer). I chose a different filename to avoid confusion.
3. Open the saved jpeg file (MS viewer opens by default).
4. Use the Rotate tool. Save again.
5. Attach the new file to a Reply.

Happy rotating!

I was fortunate enough to snap a shot of these lovely birds in our backyard just a little while ago.

Actually today is DH's birthday and I purchased the cheesy pink Flamingos in honor of his special day. He loves them. :LOL:

Mmm, hmm...we even have a spotlight that shines on them at night. :greetings10:

:rolleyes:

Attachments

• DSC02365.jpg
    DSC02365.jpg
    941.6 KB · Views: 21
I was fortunate enough to snap a shot of these lovely birds in our backyard just a little while ago.

Actually today is DH's birthday and I purchased the cheesy pink Flamingos in honor of his special day. He loves them. :LOL:

Mmm, hmm...we even have a spotlight that shines on them at night. :greetings10:

:rolleyes:
Pink flamingos RULE!!!!! :LOL:

I have a pair myself. You just reminded me to put them outside. :D

Happy Birthday to DH. :flowers: Tell him I mowed my lawn today in his honor. It was the first official lawn mowing of the season. Can you tell how thrilled I am? :cool:

I found a pic from last year. See, I do have pink flamingos, I Do I DO.

Attachments

• pinkflamingoes.jpg
    pinkflamingoes.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 7
I mowed the part of my lawn that was not underwater. Also first time for the season. Beats snow.

We pruned all the shrubbery at our rental house. Lots of overhead work with the pole-mounted hedge trimmer, and I'm feelin' it in my shoulders & pectorals.

We also removed one of the two tree stumps left after taking down some old trees last month. We made quota on green waste for this week so we'll do the other stump next week. I'm probably going to need a fresh blade in the reciprocating saw. And maybe a two-gigawatt laser.

We've been wanting to add a small section of PVC fence to that rental's side yard, but we're beginning to realize that 10 feet of four-foot tall PVC fencing plus a gate is not going to attract much interest from a contractor. We may be digging these post holes ourselves-- four of them because of the gate-- and doing our own PVC fencing.

I'm also moving money around from the college fund. Our daughter just finished freshman year and wants to spend July in Houston at summer school because it gives her more flexibility in her electives during her next three years. [-]Maybe she's seen her chemistry final grade?[/-] Sounds like a noble goal. However NROTC doesn't want to pay for summer school unless she can justify the need. She's spreadsheeting the classes and the conflicts and routing a special request through her adviser and her NROTC chain of command, so in essence she's already getting a heck of a bureaucratic education. If she proves the need then they'll ask Navy for the extra money.

In the meantime she's gone ahead and signed up for summer school because she has to make deadlines. This morning Rice informed me that their one-month summer school retails for $10,674. Plus another $609 for room & board.

It's a good idea, she's earned it, and NROTC has saved us enough money that we can afford to do it. But yowza, it certainly makes one question the value of a higher education.

I wonder how much of that is for air conditioning...

A good day.
Yesterday I was reading an article on Morel hunting. During the morning walk, I looked right and there was a patch of em. I never seen them before. Great!
I went back and picked some, brought them home and ate them. It was one of those bucket list things that you always hear about but never do. They tasted great.
Saw 2 rose brested grossbeaks and an indigo bunting at the bird feeder.
Best of all, it was sunny.

Attachments

• IMG_0333.jpg
    IMG_0333.jpg
    775.4 KB · Views: 9
Kind of a milestone today. First time in my life I paid over $50 to fill my gas tank.

I watched the elephant parade.

The circus is in town, and the elephants paraded from the arena to the old statehouse and back. There were nine of them and they walked in a very straight line, each one grasping the tail of the one in front with its trunk. (except for the one or two who were feeling out of sorts and kept moving their tails around so the one behind couldn't reach it). I walked on the sidewalk alongside them as they paraded. They move at a surprisingly fast pace.

Bought an iPhone, my first smartphone. So, I have been browsing through a hundred gazillion apps but downloaded only five so far. The ER Forum app is pretty cool. Overall I feel swamped and a little overwhelmed, though. :blink:

Haven't used it to actually TALK yet. :cell: I think if it rang I would panic.

Spent the day shopping for small hardware supplies, housecleaning, replacing bulbs, and generally titivating my soon to be for sale home. This evening, my colleagues at w*rk took me for a really nice goodbye dinner and gave me a parting gift: a Kindle! (my hints worked :dance: ). It's charging up as I write. Having just donated or trashed many unwanted gifts, and given away hundreds of books, it's nice to get a cool gift you really want!

Bought an iPhone, my first smartphone. So, I have been browsing through a hundred gazillion apps but downloaded only five so far. The ER Forum app is pretty cool. Overall I feel swamped and a little overwhelmed, though. :blink:

Haven't used it to actually TALK yet. :cell: I think if it rang I would panic.

Did you go with AT&T or Verizon? Did you have to get a 2 year contract?

I have an iPod Touch which I love for the WiFi. So far I've only done free apps, some are really great, some just iffy. I agree the ER Forum one is one of the best and I use it often. I also like the weather app from a local TV station and I use Twitterific.

KingB said:
If the car is available at LAS, would there a tax advantage buying it locally at LAS versus buying at CA?

Unfortunately there weren't any Prii in Vegas which is why I had to go to California.

Did you go with AT&T or Verizon? Did you have to get a 2 year contract?

I have an iPod Touch which I love for the WiFi. So far I've only done free apps, some are really great, some just iffy. I agree the ER Forum one is one of the best and I use it often. I also like the weather app from a local TV station and I use Twitterific.

I have been with Verizon for over a decade, so Verizon was my choice. Basically I want Verizon as my carrier more than I wanted an iPhone for my phone. Yes, I chose the contract to save several hundred dollars since I have no intention of changing carriers.

I wonder if I will use the website apps at home, since it is a lot easier to type on my laptop as I am at the moment. :) But if I want to, I can. I don't really spend much time anywhere else with wi-fi, other than motels if/when we go on road trips.

I guess if I am going to join the 21st century, I probably should start using Twitter. I'll check out Twitterific, thanks. :flowers:

Last edited:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I think I will call myself, from my landline, to see if I can figure it out. (I won't try the shoe trick, though! :LOL: )

Edited to add: OK, that was pretty easy.:blush:

:)

Just remember to answer your own call with, "Hello, Chief?"

When I got my first cellphone in 1994 or so, I didn't know what to do when it rang, so I missed many calls. I never felt at home with it. I'm now on my fourth phone, a BlackBerry Bold. I took it out of the box and figured it out straight away. Smartphones are more and more ergonomic and I'm sure your iPhone is very user friendly. Just play with it and have fun (without dialing Australia, of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom