What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
2-1/2 hour oral argument in U.S. District Court, with a very well-prepared and somewhat cantankerous judge. I appreciated the work she put into an obviously close reading of the briefs and the cases, even when she was grilling me over a hot flame.

2-1/2 hour oral argument in U.S. District Court, with a very well-prepared and somewhat cantankerous judge. I appreciated the work she put into an obviously close reading of the briefs and the cases, even when she was grilling me over a hot flame.

Some of the greatest career satisfaction I ever got was going toe to toe with really smart people who knew their stuff. Good on yer.

Yeah it could have been worse. Our little guy went out one night to do his thing and didn't come back for an hour. Finally wandered in, bloody and limping. Seems he decided to go head to head with a raccoon and got his little butt kicked. Had to spend a couple of days at the vet after that little skirmish.
My little dog has been skunked and had a brief tumble with a raccoon who had taken up quarters in our attic. As the raccoon escaped from the roof vent and slid down the roof into the yard they engaged prior to raccoon escaping out of the yard. Although the raccoon drew blood, she didn't get hurt as bad as your little guy.

That peroxide solution works pretty well on the dogs when they are skunked but the odor still lingers for awhile if they get sprayed directly.

Our dog has been skunked in the backyard. A different time we had a skunk try to break in one night. I heard someone fiddling with the patio door, woke up DH, we got up and pulled back the door shades and there was a beautiful looking skunk, staring right at us, presumably trying to find the pet door. We don't have a pet door for exactly that reason. Other nights we've heard footsteps in the back yard, looked out and there's a skunk walking around like he owns the place.

Now we usually just walk the dog out front on a leash after dark.

Our dog has been skunked in the backyard. A different time we had a skunk try to break in one night. I heard someone fiddling with the patio door, woke up DH, we got up and pulled back the door shades and there was a beautiful looking skunk, staring right at us, presumably trying to find the pet door. We don't have a pet door for exactly that reason. Other nights we've heard footsteps in the back yard, looked out and there's a skunk walking around like he owns the place.

Now we usually just walk the dog out front on a leash after dark.

I think at that point it would be time to perform a skunkectomy.

I think at that point it would be time to perform a skunkectomy.

We live on the edge of a city near lots of open space and parks with natural areas so the skunks, coyotes, deer, wild turkeys, fox and all sorts of critters just come with the territory. A couple of times we've had a large turkey on the hood of one of the cars, attracted to his reflection in the windshield.

We have friends that live in the Sierras and have to take bear spray when they go outside so I think the skunks aren't too much bother in comparison.

Last edited:
We live on the edge of a city near lots of open space and parks with natural areas so the skunks, coyotes, deer, wild turkeys, fox and all sorts of critters just come with the territory. A couple of times we've had a large turkey on the hood of one of the cars, attracted to his reflection in the windshield.

We have friends that live in the Sierras and have to take bear spray when they go outside so I think the skunks aren't too much bother in comparison.

There is a major green belt/wildlife highway right behind our house and although we see coyotes, deer, etc. only the raccoons come into the yard (aside from the neverending plague of rabbits). Apparently the prior owners of the house had a dog that was 5 for 5 in catching, killing and being sprayed by skunks that came into the backyard. We have never seen one inside the fence line, so I cannot help but wonder what they did to attract them.

There was a heavy blanket of snow yesterday and no wind so I took the opportunity to burn a couple of large slash piles. Same conditions today so I will do another large slash pile. I had put this off until the outside of the house was done so I didn't have to worry about burning the house down. Just so happens that the insurance guy is coming out next week to inspect for fire mitigation so having the slash piles gone will be a good thing.

The following scenery is just a few steps from our Airbnb apartment in Provence. It may be too touristy for some, but we love it. I will not mind coming back here in a year or two and stay for a month. In another week, we will be in Umbria and stay in more off-the-beat places.

I don't drink much cognac since I have had stuff like Remy Cordon Bleu and the sad imitations that are within my budget do not hold a candle to what the same money will buy in the bourbon or tequila worlds. Maybe one of these days I will feel like treating myself to some Remy again. It has been years.
Cordon Bleu is an XO grade blend from Remy Martin. I have had an XO bottle or two from Remy, but not the Cordon Bleu. Truth be told, my palate may not be fine enough to tell the difference between these blends.

My traveling companion and I each bought a different XO grade bottle to bring back because they said these blends are not available in the US. May be just a marketing ploy. Anyway, we bought a lesser bottle, a more common 1738 to drink during the trip, and that was what I was sipping. We also got an inexpensive bottle of Calvados, and I enjoy it just as much.

Have not been drinking much Cognac on this trip, because we have our alcohol quota from the Bordeaux wine bottles that cost so little compared to what they sell for in the US.

Last edited:
Started gluing up my new 18 inch home theater subwoofer kit.

34630109931_30a5139c5d_z.jpg

Woke up around 5:30? DW got out of bed, I rolled over. There's light coming in the outside bedroom door, I see a white fuzzy butt. It's tough to see, not much light and a bunch of scrub oak out back, a deer is eating. At first a single mule deer, pretty soon 3 or 4 than 6.

The dogs wake up and see deer, one starts barking. It's like a call to the deer, and more come hopping over to see what the problem is. These things are entertaining at 5:30 at least. There's a bunch of them hopping around the edge of the canyon, looking goofy.

DW comes back to bed and we settled the dogs and watched deer until we went back to sleep. Nice way to enjoy the early morning.

Went on a shopping spree - Miracle grow for flowers, storage bin for goPro parts, 2 bandsaw blades, hinges for toy box I'm making. Bedmat and floor mats for the new truck. Went to my hardwood source and found that they no longer carry ebony. Picked up our surround sound receiver at the repair place.

Then I went to work. I was summoned to come in for clean up day to clean out my desk - 3 years after I retired. I didn't have time to clean out my area before I left, so they thought I should now clean up with the rest of them. I threw most stuff out, some to filing, and I put a few things on my former assistant's desk. I wasn't really picky as to what went where.

Crappy cold, wet weather for today. Went to an indoor range (which I usually do not bother with) to try my box of 38 special reloads. They worked pretty well. Very accurate from the rifle and as accurate as I am with the revolver. I will make up a bunch of these. I will not be back to an indoor range again any time soon. As nice as this particular place is, even with ear plugs and muffs on I thought it was too loud. At least this time I was not in the lane next to the one fool with a high powered rifle.

Came home and fooled around for a while and made dinner. A buyer was supposed to show up for a bee nuc, but he rescheduled for tomorrow morning.

Went on a shopping spree - Miracle grow for flowers, storage bin for goPro parts, 2 bandsaw blades, hinges for toy box I'm making. Bedmat and floor mats for the new truck. Went to my hardwood source and found that they no longer carry ebony. Picked up our surround sound receiver at the repair place.

Then I went to work. I was summoned to come in for clean up day to clean out my desk - 3 years after I retired. I didn't have time to clean out my area before I left, so they thought I should now clean up with the rest of them. I threw most stuff out, some to filing, and I put a few things on my former assistant's desk. I wasn't really picky as to what went where.

I worked in a classified area. Sometimes not being allowed in your former place of employment has its benefits. :LOL:

Drove the kids to school then hung out at younger kid's school for "coffee with the principal"... last one at this school since he's promoting out of middle school mid next month.

Came home, did some light housework and started laundry... then started peeling lemons. We're giving mason jars of limoncello to friends who are hosting us on our big college tour vacation this summer... I like to let the lemon peels steep in the vodka for at least a month... so I had to get them going. Then I juiced all the naked lemons - we had fresh lemonade with dinner tonight.

Just got rid of one of my boys friends who came over after school and stayed for dinner... now we're watching Shetland on netflix.

My husband and I went to a Korean BBQ for lunch, I wish we didn't eat so much but its a buffet so that's why. Afterwards we stopped by a nursery and I couldn't help myself but bought two water melon plants and huge black berry plant, I think the variety is Black Satin. We then planted it at the location of a passion fruit plant that died when we moved last year. This will become our berry patch, I've been getting our daily our berries for breakfast from this patch. Let's hope next year we will have black berries.
After our usual afternoon nap, we went for a swim. It's getting very hot here, hot enough to appreciate a cold swim.

We had an impromptu yard sale. Our neighbor on one side had advertised his yard sale and suggested to several neighbors that we all might put some stuff out as well (to capture the network effects). So a few of us did just that. We made several hundred bucks and got rid of a ton of stuff. We also got to talk to neighbors up and down the street whom we haven't see for awhile, so it was a bit of a social event as well. All it cost was my currently sore back from schlepping all the stuff down from the storage room above the garage.

For the last 2 weeks been working an addition to my small cabin. I really took on to much but I'm almost done so it will be a nice thing when done.

DW and I walked down to the mailbox with our two dogs. Nice day, middle 50s and sunny.

Went to try a new restaurant, mixed reviews. My meal was great, hers not so much.

I went for a second walk, by myself after lunch. Down in the canyon below our house. There's a trail a lot of folks walk, but it ends at a super steep horse trail, or a cliff.

There's another more walkable horse trail that few know is there. It's pretty bizzare as soon as you turn down this place everything changes. The Ponderosa Pines are huge, and its very dark and dense. There's no noise in the caynon, other than the babbling brook. There's quite a few cliffs that your walking between just wondering where you might end up. Its a really beautiful place and other than the horse tracks it would be easy to wonder if anyone is has ever been down in this meadow.

Eventually I headed back up the steep path to head home. I use mapmywalk to capture my calorie burn from walking. As I'm in the dark canopy, it announced that I've walked a mile. The voice brought me back, in a unpleasant way!

Going back to Woodhaven today. Had planned to return 10 days ago, but the weather has been so up and down w/rain/cold/wind that I didn't want to spoil my return to the lake by cringing in my park model.
Will be incommunicado for a day or so... giving y'all a break from my posts. No Tv or internet.

This week doesn't look exactly perfect either, but gotta start somewhere. When you think of it, when you have two places to live, you need all of the basics..., food, clothing and other necessities are necessary, so packing is kind of like moving. So... the fun will be cleaning up the cobwebs, picking up the fallen branches from our 14 trees, raking a half acre of leaves then mowing, trimming and power washing the house, deck and sheds.
Hmmmm. it's nearly 10 AM... I'm tired before I even leave for the 35 minute drive to my nirvana.
:blush:

Will probably be back tomorrow... to recover.

Last edited:
Back the same day... Weatherman lied... was supposed to be sunny and 65... was miserably cloudy, some rain, and 30 mile wind gusts that kept the temp at 50 w/lower real feel. There were whitecaps on my small lake.
Anyway, it was a chance to make the move, stock the refrigerator, and set up for the next time.

Hiked up to two different overlooks in the Lehigh Gorge to show DD and her BF the view. DH came along, which was good. He's been skipping the hikes lately due to arthritis pain in his hip.

We drove back to the main house this evening because we have some things to do here in the next few days. As we pulled in the driveway it was evident that the lawn needed to be cut, so I quickly checked the forecast...rain predicted overnight and for the next two days. I decided I better get cutting tonight or we would need a hay baler by Wednesday. It was close, but I managed to finish before dark. I really didn't need that extra 2.5 miles of walking behind the mower after the hiking, but better me than DH.

Last week was a good one: three days of whitewater paddling, one day paddling on the lake, two hiking days and one day of biking. I think tomorrow will be a yoga day to rest my legs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom