What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got up on the roof with the chainsaw onna stick and whacked a bunch of limbs that were overgrowing the house.

36508543585_3d7703f944.jpg

Speaking of storms - when I got home the other day DH said there had been a very close lightning strike. How close? Not sure. The power didn't go out, but he later figured out that it fried the surge protector for the RV.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002UC4SWM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the link to the brand/style we have. It's priced higher now than when we purchased it. It has a lifetime warranty, so has been mailed in for repair or replacement. I imagine we'll get a refurbished one, but not sure.

So far, it seems most everything in the RV is okay - so it did its job for the most part - but the remote for leveling doesn't work. That will take some troubleshooting.

Progressive Industries sent us a brand new surge protector - and it was the newer model that came out after we purchased ours. They get an A+.

No easy fix to the remote (after conversations with the vendor that made them for a period of time back when; no parts, no manuals, no luck.) DH may rig a pendant control substitute.

Progressive Industries sent us a brand new surge protector - and it was the newer model that came out after we purchased ours. They get an A+.

Progressive Industries is a first class company with a superb reputation for customer service. They really stand behind their product and go the extra mile when a customer has a problem.

A while ago at Habitat I got a nice embossed hollow core slab door and some hinges to go with it. $10 and $3 each respectively. To replace a nasty old door on the linen closet.

Got around to hanging it today. First problem. Door is 3 inches to long and 1/2 inch to wide. No problem, I knew it was. That is an excuse to use my new-ish table saw. Take the door downstairs to my workshop and realize I had lent my outfeed table to my wife so she can cut glass for her new stained glass hobby. Okay, so cobble together a new outfeed table. Run door through table saw and mighty pleased with the results.

Bring door back upstairs to dry fit. The door opening isn't square (50 year old house) but it fits anyway. But then I stand there like an idiot and realize that there is no jamb on the closet door. Drywall only. Damn. I can't use it like this because the hinges have to be mortised. Decide then to use the old pivot hinges from nasty door instead.

Back downstairs to take the pivot hinges off old door and install on new. Only new door is a hollow core and I have cutoff all the frame from the bottom. Damn. So take the frame insert out of the cutoff piece, strip off the facing and backing and glue it back inside the hollow door. Get glue on shirt when clamping it.

Wait one hour for glue to dry on door. Glue on shirt dries almost immediately.

Drill holes for pivot hinges in new door and install. Take door back upstairs. Fits nice and pivots okay on the hinges and old track still in the opening. Also install the old catch from the nasty door.

All done and then realize that the door is pretty scratched up on one side because it caught on my jury rigged outfeed table. So, it has to be painted. Damn.

Take door back off of the pivot hinges and back downstairs to be painted. But that will be later in the week because this 45 minute job has now taken 3 hours and because now it is Rum O'Clock.

Went to what is, apparently, North America's largest sheepdog trial....and peripherally associated....i.e. there are dogs involved...events:

2mq52zn.jpg

iooze0.jpg

hueuja.jpg

A while ago at Habitat I got a nice embossed hollow core slab door and some hinges to go with it. $10 and $3 each respectively. To replace a nasty old door on the linen closet.

Got around to hanging it today. First problem. Door is 3 inches to long and 1/2 inch to wide. No problem, I knew it was. That is an excuse to use my new-ish table saw. Take the door downstairs to my workshop and realize I had lent my outfeed table to my wife so she can cut glass for her new stained glass hobby. Okay, so cobble together a new outfeed table. Run door through table saw and mighty pleased with the results.

Bring door back upstairs to dry fit. The door opening isn't square (50 year old house) but it fits anyway. But then I stand there like an idiot and realize that there is no jamb on the closet door. Drywall only. Damn. I can't use it like this because the hinges have to be mortised. Decide then to use the old pivot hinges from nasty door instead.

Back downstairs to take the pivot hinges off old door and install on new. Only new door is a hollow core and I have cutoff all the frame from the bottom. Damn. So take the frame insert out of the cutoff piece, strip off the facing and backing and glue it back inside the hollow door. Get glue on shirt when clamping it.

Wait one hour for glue to dry on door. Glue on shirt dries almost immediately.

Drill holes for pivot hinges in new door and install. Take door back upstairs. Fits nice and pivots okay on the hinges and old track still in the opening. Also install the old catch from the nasty door.

All done and then realize that the door is pretty scratched up on one side because it caught on my jury rigged outfeed table. So, it has to be painted. Damn.

Take door back off of the pivot hinges and back downstairs to be painted. But that will be later in the week because this 45 minute job has now taken 3 hours and because now it is Rum O'Clock.

I used to w*rk with a guy who also did nights and weekends as an independent fix it guy. His number one job was hanging doors.

He normally hit folk with a premium to fix the doors they'd attempted to install themselves.

Sounds like your on the road to success after cocktails.

Went to church, then drove the roadster up to Sandy Hook for a very lovely lunch out on a deck above a babbling brook. It is warm today, but there was shade and a nice breeze, so it was very pleasant. Did a few yard chores when we got back home.

We had a pleasant weekend. Last night we went to an astronomy club lecture at the Chabot Space and Science Museum by an astrophysicist from Berkeley answering the question, "Are Red Dwarfs Habitable?" It was pretty interesting as the topic is part of the bigger question of are we alone in the universe. Tonight we went to the Desi Comedy Fest, a comedy show with sets from around 8 different South Asian comedians.

For me this is a good thing since I'm flying in the back yard, surrounded on three sides by "airplane-eating trees" similar to the ones that plague Charlie Brown's kites.
LOL! I can identify. I have rigged-up some very long poles for dislodging aircraft, but there's still one up there...too high to get back. The good news: I only can see it in the winter.

Brewed a pale ale yesterday and it's fermenting away quite nicely today.
Yesterday I brewed a Bock (but used an ale yeast). It's also bubbling nicely today. Yesterday I also chilled a saison I made last month. Used the dupont yeast. It's a very nice beer, if I do say so myself. Folks at the club meeting liked it too.

I used to w*rk with a guy who also did nights and weekends as an independent fix it guy. His number one job was hanging doors.

He normally hit folk with a premium to fix the doors they'd attempted to install themselves.

Sounds like your on the road to success after cocktails.

There used be a sign in an electronics shop I worked at:

HOURLY RATES
-----------------
$50/hr
$75/hr - if you watch
$100/hr - if you help
$250/hr - if you fixed it first

I guess summer is coming to an end. The harvest has started; I saw this today. It won't be long and hunting season will start

Attachments

• combine.jpg
    combine.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 37
Took the kids to a 9,000' elevation lake to fish with a plan to hit a Mexican restaurant we think highly of on the way home. Fishing was pretty non-existent, but we saw a herd of bighorn sheep and a big mulie doe on the way there and the spot was pretty. About 12:30 I landed the first trout and was under 100 yards away on the other side of a low ridge from the kids when I heard screaming. Up there this time of year my first thought is 2 or 4 legged predator. I about had the pistol untangled from my layers of clothing as I crested the ridge and figured out that my eldest slipped on a boulder and ended up in the lake. Whew! I got her to the truck and out of wet clothes in less than 5 minutes. We packed up and went into town where I found a second hand/vintage clothes shop where I found her a pair of pants for 8 bucks. Lunch was had and we headed home.

Went to Costco this morning for my almost monthly visit and checked out the meat counter as usual. Found some USDA Prime New York steaks that just looked so good I decided to treat myself. At the price, I almost felt like I was channeling RobbieB. :)

Medium rare on the BGE and it was just so good. There is absolutely no doubt that Prime beef is really that much better than Choice. Paired the steaks with a bottle of Chimay Grand Reserve -- it doesn't get much better.

Took DD to school this morning for her first day back. It was fun to see all the kids and parents after summer break. Then I came home, breathed a huge sigh of relief, enjoyed a latte, did a bit of work on the computer, and took a nap. Summer was fun but I am happy to have my days back.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

At present, we have a surfeit of big, ripe, delicious Ramapo tomatoes on our vines. So the young wife made panzanella for dinner, accompanied by two steaks on the grill and a nice bottle of Barbera d'Asti. Mmmmmm, good.

Wow! I will take your word for it, as I would not know what the view would be from up there.

Anyway, I drove down to the metropolitan home yesterday. This morning, went to see an ophthalmologist for a floater that suddenly appeared in my vision two days ago. Suspected it was just a common problem with old age, but wanted to be sure. The doc confirmed so.

Went to Costco to switch our cell phones to T-Mobile for the 55+ plan. Will have to see how well it will work up in the boondocks home.

Finished up cleaning the basement, and wow that looks great and makes me feel great, too. Now I get to plan my shop layout.

Racked the beer from primary to secondary fermenter and added a crapload (that's a technical term) of hops for dry-hopping.

Now to get ready for my eclipse trip. That will be a ten-day tour of the pacific northwest, Seattle to San Francisco, with eclipse viewing from Madras (madhouse?) Oregon. Getting excited. First trip since retirement day. Nice to have an airplane flight I want to go on, instead of have to go on.

Thanks. I'm hiking the PCT so that permit gives me access to lots things.

This morning I got to haggle with a dealership manager who had lied to me about being approved for a loan. Conveniently that loan fell through, but I find out from the finance director never existed in the first place, to be replaced by a loan that's much higher interest. Noped right out of that and cancelled the deposit.

The rest of this afternoon has been spent hunting apartments and checking out real estate where we're moving in a couple months.

Maybe with a little bit of budgeting for furniture and appliances and potential closing costs on a house, and mortgage. And maybe I enjoy playing with my spreadsheets a little too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom