What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously not starring Philliefan. ;)

Or I’m playing the long game? Spend most of my life cultivating a reputation of honesty so I can pull off a big scam at age 70. You may never know [emoji6]

Walked to the bank this morning, then stopped by the bakery on the way home to buy some bread and a bagel sandwich. After lunch, I drove my car to the dealership for a scheduled service. Then I drove to an office supply store and bought a new printer. Tonight, I had dinner at my mother's. Then I spent the evening relaxing and listening to some Christmas Carols. I also wrapped a few Christmas gifts.

Been struggling with one of the PCs running Win 10 in the home. Tried to migrate its boot drive to SSD. Cloned SSD failed to boot. DId not have problems with 3 machines before this one.

Then, tried to update Win 10 release from 1803 to 1903. No go. Yet Windows Update did not complain about anything, but the version is stuck at 1803, and Windoze keeps nagging that I need to update. Have tried a few different troubleshooting methods already, including reinstalling.

This is the 2nd day on this PC already. Weird! May just have to wipe the drive clean and start from scratch.

Something smells in my little apartment. It's not as bad as dead-mouse-in-the-wall. I'll never forget that smell. So I completely washed out the cat box and changed the litter brand. Former litter was tracking all over the place. Then I washed and rinsed every floor but one. Then I sent the cat's bed and blanket through a hot wash. Smelled the cat. It's not the cat, but it's still there.

Got Xmas tree spray. If I wash the last floor tomorrow and it's still there, I guess I'll use the Xmas tree spray. Maybe it's me.

Dumped the walker for walking me and the dog. Just using my "walking stick" outdoors and a cane (if I need it) indoors. Monday will be three weeks since the new hip implant. I'm feeling pretty good, overall. :)

Something smells in my little apartment. It's not as bad as dead-mouse-in-the-wall. I'll never forget that smell. So I completely washed out the cat box and changed the litter brand. Former litter was tracking all over the place. Then I washed and rinsed every floor but one. Then I sent the cat's bed and blanket through a hot wash. Smelled the cat. It's not the cat, but it's still there.

Got Xmas tree spray. If I wash the last floor tomorrow and it's still there, I guess I'll use the Xmas tree spray. Maybe it's me.

Do you have any sinks, tubs or showers you don't use regularly? If so, the water in the trap could have evaporated sufficiently to allow the sewer smell to come through into the house. That's what happened to us once. Smelled faintly like a dead mouse, for which I searched high and low. Just run the water a little to fix it. (Although it could be something else entirely)

Dumped the walker for walking me and the dog. Just using my "walking stick" outdoors and a cane (if I need it) indoors. Monday will be three weeks since the new hip implant. I'm feeling pretty good, overall. :)

I knew DH had turned the corner on his recovery after hip replacement when he forgot where he left his cane in the house. Sounds like you are almost there—keep up the good work!

I knew DH had turned the corner on his recovery after hip replacement when he forgot where he left his cane in the house. Sounds like you are almost there—keep up the good work!

Thanks! Another week like this last one and I should be shedding the cane, but I use a long walking stick when walking the dog and I have for the last three years. It serves a few purposes besides a steading device. :D

I had a smell like that once in my living room. I had a cat as well, and so checked behind and under all the furniture and inspected the carpet, but found nothing suspicious. Over a week or so the smell subsided, and I forgot about it. Then one day I lifted a couch cushion to vacuum under it, and there found a flattened, well-dried mouse. Poor little guy must have been squeezed to his end when someone sat on him. :(

Do you have any sinks, tubs or showers you don't use regularly? If so, the water in the trap could have evaporated sufficiently to allow the sewer smell to come through into the house. That's what happened to us once. Smelled faintly like a dead mouse, for which I searched high and low. Just run the water a little to fix it. (Although it could be something else entirely)

You just solved a problem I had in the old house!

I have a very clean apartment now, that still smells, but I figured out what it is. It is the cat litter, scooped or unscooped, which is brand new. But this is the same smell emanating from the old cat litter. About a week ago I started leaving out dry kibble for the cat to give her something to eat between her 2 Fancy Feast feedings. That is when the cat box started smelling, even though there is no sign of digestive upset.

Day two of switching from coffee to green tea in the morning. I've been feeling a little jagged lately after morning coffee, maybe because I'm getting more sleep since ditching w@rk and don't need such a boost, or maybe because I'm getting up a little later when the cortisol level is higher. Anyways, I did feel more even-keeled the past two mornings, so I'll keep going with the morning tea for awhile. Mid-morning and early afternoon coffee breaks are still in the schedule though!

Walked to the south branch library, which reopened this weekend after being closed nearly a year for expansion. The new space is rather plain looking compared to the grand old building in town, but it's a great resource nonetheless. I got a couple printouts from their free printing system, which is a much-appreciated service since it means we don't have to own a printer to get those occasional hard copies that I used to get at the office. Also picked up a few videos, and got in a 4-mile walk to boot!

Gym day today, then out in the back yard to trim some tree branches encroaching from the woods behind the house. It's easier in the winter when the foliage is off and I can see where the offending branch originates. Also, I got to try out the newfangled battery powered pole saw, which is a lot easier to use than my old fashioned "armstrong powered" one.

I'm going to list the old one on freecycle and leave it at the entrance to the development with a "free" sign on it, it works fine so I'm sure someone will want it.

Hiked, harvested a nice piece of Osage for another hiking stick, cleaned my workshop, and screwed up a woodworking project to the point where it may not be salvageable.

Woke up to a fresh blanket of snow. Just a few inches, the forecast said it was going to snow till tomorrow morning. Snow covered everything and it was very quiet outside. We watched some of the Broncos/Texas game, after halftime we walked a mile around our neighborhood. No plows had been through and it was difficult to walk. When we got home it was deep enough to run the snowblower around the driveway. Somehow DW allows me all the fun.

After we finished up outside, restarted the Denver game and watched the Chiefs/Patriots game. Unexpected ending to both games. It stopped snowing perhaps it's done?

Three weeks after total hip replacement

Today is the third week anniversary of my total hip replacement. :) I am off the walker about a week now. The pain is very minimal and I only take tylenol at bedtime. Showers and sleeping are normal. Two weeks sleeping in the recliner was enough!

I am walking the dog a few times per day in this nice Fall (70s) weather and averaging ~5,000 steps per day, using my trusty old walking stick. No distance or pace issues. Yesterday, we waked almost 10,000 steps and I used an ice bag on the hip last night due to a bit of overuse. Today's walks (so far) have been painless.

The dog, and DW, are glad that I am self sufficient and pretty much back to normal (90% anyway). :)

Shoveled some snow for two elderly ladies. I will get a carving packaged up for Christmas gift someone bought.

Cleaned up my old Stihl chain saw that quit running last spring. Confirmed that it still had spark so that means fuel system, almost certainly carburetor. When it died it slowly quit running, suggesting a fuel system clog anyway.

Since this thing is almost 40 years old I figured the chances of finding parts were about zilch, but to my astonishment I found several sources of rebuild kits and complete carburetors. The difference in price was small, single digits, so I opted for a new carburetor from Amazon, at $14 which includes new fuel line and a spark plug. If it works, great, if not, well I got my nickel's worth out that saw anyway.

After skating and coffee, I dropped off all my unused satellite TV receiving equipment and soma ancient boat anchor radios at the recycling center. I am done with TV in any form. A slow beginning or minor progress to downsizing.

DH wrecked my RAV4. Thankfully he is okay— not even a scratch. My SUV, however, probably will be totaled. No other cars involved, he went off the road/ back on the rain. Unfortunately he hit some fence poles along the way. There’s a lot of damage to the front right quarter and right side. I think we will be auto shopping later this week. [emoji53]

After 30+ years with no insurance claims with USAA, we have two within a month. Not looking forward to our next term renewal.

Sorry about your car, Philliefan, but very glad no one was hurt.

Today was the official start of misery season for me - otherwise known as "cedar fever". It's not caused by cedar trees, but ashe junipers, and doesn't involve a fever, but it is pure hell for many of us in Central Texas for 3-6 weeks each year. I unfortunately didn't start Zyrtec last week as I had planned and now I'm paying. Itchy, watery eyes, constantly running nose, and post-nasal drip cough. Ugh.

I did count the offering at church and go to yoga this morning, but since then I've just been miserable. Tomorrow should be better as a rainy cold front is blowing in - the high today was 82, tomorrow the high will be 43. Hopefully we'll get enough rain to knock everything down for a day or two - but then the pollen counts will skyrocket as the rain will encourage the trees to bloom.

I unfortunately didn't start Zyrtec last week as I had planned and now I'm paying. Itchy, watery eyes, constantly running nose, and post-nasal drip cough. Ugh.

Bummer, I'm far too familiar with the misery you are experiencing.

I learned my lesson years ago and now start taking Allegra each Thanksgiving in preparation for the coming plague. My doc said in a situation like yours to double your dosage of antihistamine until the pollen count starts to slack off, hopefully by late January.

I was excused from jury duty today. Big trial that would have gone into next year.

Actually, one of the reasons I started writing legal thrillers was that it might get me out of jury duty (lawyers don't like it if jurors know the law). But I didn't even get to to that point today. In a sense, that's too bad, because I want to know whether that strategy works.

Also, ironically, now that I write legal thrillers, being on a jury would have been helpful and I wouldn't have minded as much.

I would have given up on writing the first legal thriller (Conclusive Evidence) when I was halfway done, but I told myself, "It's just to get out of jury duty. That's all that matters." Then it turned out that it's my most popular book by far. Life is strange.

Apparently, I was excused today because we live 33 miles from the courthouse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom