What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dropped my youngest off at school, exercised on the elliptical, hour walk with the dog, checked email, ate, grocery store, dump, cooked homemade chicken soup, picked daughter up from school, chatted with the wife...

Kegged an IPA the other day and it’s carbonated now. Today I tapped it. :beer: (there really should be a beer emoji)

Edit to add (copied from text message editor):

🍺

Last edited:
Woke up to fresh snow, a big surprise.[emoji1787] After blowing the driveway and the side of the house(last years 10' snow accumulation impressed me) DW surprised me with the news Walmart had the second dose of Shingrix in stock. Off we went to get jabbed, four hours later my arm is starting to hurt. The highlight of the visit was a fellow with his wife and their 10 week old St. Bernard/Shepherd mix. The pup was exceptionally well behaved and very friendly.

Went to the gym, it was kinda busy. I just did an elipictal the entire time, DW went back to the weight room after her warmup. When I was almost done I saw one of the staff come running across the floor to a pickleball court. A lady was in the back of the court crying in pain. She had fallen, trying to catch her fall she appeared to break her wrist. I spoke with her and her spouse, they're tourists and didn't know where they should go. We pointed them to their options, recommended one, and wished them well.

Went out to lunch at Mexican, came home and are watching the snow melt in the 40° heat wave.

I was going to go to the gym, but for some reason my back was hurting so bad I decided that the gym was maybe not the best idea. I had similar pain yesterday and went for a 30-minute walk and that seemed to make it a little worse. My first session of physical therapy for it is tomorrow so I'll ask about that then. And I'm taking a copy of the workout I usually do to see if something I'm doing there either is good for it or aggravates things.

So in small sessions (standing makes the pain worse) I made one of the big salads I like and filled one of those giant-size Tupperware bowls with it. I really hate this getting old crap.

Woke up early as the crew resurfacing the street in front of my building had an early start. In the morning, I went to visit my father and we walked for 2 hours through the woods while having a great conversation on current events. We came back with a Christmas tree. We had lunch together then I drove him into town for an appointment. Later in the afternoon, I helped my niece for about one hour with her chemistry lessons. Finally, I had friends over for dinner. They left pretty late. I quickly cleaned up and went straight to bed.

I really hate this getting old crap.

+1. Went for a longer than usual hike. I don’t know what it is, but my balance isn’t what it used to be. Or maybe it was the slick sandy/ muddy/ rocky terrain. Anyway, I slipped and fell several times. My whole body is sore.

Spent about 1.5 hours blowing leaves out of flower beds and the drainage ditch at front of property to get the leaves onto the lawn. Then spent 2.5 hours on the zero turn mowing and mulching the leaves. I have 2.5 acres of grass. Went slower than normal to mulch the leaves better. All the leaves have mostly fallen finally.
Just when I got done, my neighbor got 2 yards of rock delivered. He just redid the front of his driveway in concrete and this was for along the sides. So I helped him shovel the rocks into place, with help of his tractor. But still a lot of moving rock around by hand. It was nice to help him out. Only about 1 hour helping him, but a physical one.

I really hate this getting old crap.
Yeah, it's the pits.

My back is hurting too, plus both of us have a cold so we decided not to go to the gym yesterday either. Tomorrow we will go, and then we will probably regret having skipped.

Hopefully I am getting over the cold; I slept 11 hours last night and just awakened from an unintentional nap despite all that sleep.

+1. Went for a longer than usual hike. I don’t know what it is, but my balance isn’t what it used to be. Or maybe it was the slick sandy/ muddy/ rocky terrain. Anyway, I slipped and fell several times. My whole body is sore.
Wow, be careful! Falls can be pretty serious. Glad you only ended up sore and not injured. Maybe using trekking poles when you hike would help your balance (although I know nothing about it really).

Put the plywood top and bottom shelf on my new workbench;

49175818721_fdc1b6a3fc_o.jpg

Also sold the TW200, now down to 2 motorcycles, Bonnie (Triumph Bonneville) and Rita (BMW R1200RT)

I listed our old gas clothes dryer on Craigslist for $50. A woman got in touch with me to say that her husband would be over after dinner to buy it. Husband showed up, took a look, and wanted to bargain: "Will you take $60?"

I'm either too honest or wasn't thinking quickly. I 'fessed up that I advertised it for $50, so he could have it for $50.

Tonight after dinner with old colleagues, was offered an opportunity for another 1 to 2 year foreign assignment in Germany.
Heck, I ain't getting to do the stuff I wanted to do in retirement anyway.
DW says, OK.
Another "If -- Maybe" thing.
We shall see.

Heading over to DDs to be with baby while she is at appt. Love being with my Grandkids!

First day with physical therapy, but didn't do any actual therapy, just gathering information about what ails me and moved my legs to unusual positions to see if I screamed. I didn't. Apparently that's a good thing. Actual therapy starts next week. Then did a normal workout at the gym.

RobbieB, how are you selling your bikes? I may have to unload my R90/6 BMW. Failed the riding test twice.

Craig's List.

Noticed these posts, and thought I'd add that my DH has had good luck buying and selling bikes on Craig's List. He's bought and sold 10 bikes over the past 7 or 8 years, including a BMW he sold a few months ago. He enjoys trying out different rides, but keeps saying, "That was my last bike," and I keep saying, "Sure it was... :rolleyes:"

Last edited:
Today is gym day, and I had a great time at the gym. I managed to get a seated elliptical, which is no mean feat since they only have five and these are always in use.

Then a tiny man about 80-85 years old with a twisted up, very slight body, looking about half dead from old age, took the one next to me. We began to talk, and much to my surprise he is a retired mechanical engineer, spent his life working in oil production, and even better he is an Aggie! He got his engineering degree back in the day at Texas A&M like I did. So we had a great time talking for 20 minutes about A&M, our careers, and so on. After the gym, Frank and I went to lunch.

It was a beautiful day, high of about 80F and perfect for shorts and sandals (my preferred retiree attire!). This being December, it isn't predicted to last in our area.

Sent off a check to a local charity ilo of DW and I exchanging Christmas gifts this year. Our local newspaper identifies local families in need so I feel good about how the money will be spent. DW and I racked our brains for gift suggestions for each other, but the truth is that we need little and have much. So, why buy something just to spend X dollars because it is Christmas?

Walked, walked, walked, more walking, and then went to Costco for one of those great $1.65 strawberry/yogurt sundaes. My personal treat after enduring the recent hip replacement. (not a knee, I know):cool:

I listed our old gas clothes dryer on Craigslist for $50. A woman got in touch with me to say that her husband would be over after dinner to buy it. Husband showed up, took a look, and wanted to bargain: "Will you take $60?"

I'm either too honest or wasn't thinking quickly. I 'fessed up that I advertised it for $50, so he could have it for $50.

Saw The Good Liar the other day with DW. Obvious plot but very entertaining. Love Hellen Mirren in anything.
Obviously not starring Philliefan. ;)

Realized today I'm officially a senior citizen. Today dh and I joined the senior recreation center in our city and next month I'll get my first social security payment. whee....

Realized today I'm officially a senior citizen. Today dh and I joined the senior recreation center in our city and next month I'll get my first social security payment. whee....
Last year I became a card-carrying elderly person (Medicare card).

Also became a protected species (increased sentences for crimes against the elderly), though I doubt ne'er-do-wells observe it :(, so we must watch out for ourselves and :bat: if we need to. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom