What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gym day, minor grocery run on the way home, read/write stuff here, renew the license registration for the pickup truck online.

For whatever reason they charge an extra dollar for online renewal, even though they don't have to pay for someone to open the envelope I would otherwise send, read all the documentation, handle the check for deposit, deal with the aftermath if the check were to bounce, and then finally put the new registration certificate in the mail and mail it to me. Well, they still have to do that last part anyway, but still it strikes me as silly.

Still, it's worth a buck to me to not have to gather all the paperwork, make a copy of the personal property tax receipt, bundle it all up and mail it with a check. Or worse, have to go to DMV in person.:hide:

I wonder if that $1 goes to the contractor who sets up the Web site for the DMV, and handles the money transfer with your bank.

When I use the Web to reserve a spot in a Federal or State campground, there's also a fee, and I think it goes to the guy who operates the Web site for them.

.........When I use the Web to reserve a spot in a Federal or State campground, there's also a fee, and I think it goes to the guy who operates the Web site for them.
I think so, too, and this must be a real money maker for them as just about everyone makes a reservation now that campgrounds are so heavily used.

Just got back from the Stroke Prevention Clinic. Complete review with an older, very experienced, doctor.

Bottom line - he doesn't think I had a TIA; it was an anomaly certainly, but his report will pretty much rule out a 'mini-stroke'.

Good start to the day. :dance:

Excellent!

Took DW to a walk in appointment at the clinic. She was given an antibiotic that she was supposed to be able to take, no sulfa or penicillin, but that's not true.

She says she's numb all over, dizzy, and I know she's very confused. These are the symptoms she gets several days into an antibiotic that's not right for her. Not sure why, but hopefully they can figure it out.

We went to the gym today after not going for a long time, months or years.

I was all enthusiastic in the car on the way there, and saying I wanted to work out for an hour or two and reminiscing about how much fun we used to have there. But once at the gym, after 15-20 minutes, I was beat! I had to quit. He was ready to leave as well. Being old and out of shape is the pits, but eventually we will be able to do more for a longer time.

After we got home, I did a gigantic load of laundry in my oversized washer and dryer, and put it all away.

Just got back from the Stroke Prevention Clinic. Complete review with an older, very experienced, doctor.

Bottom line - he doesn't think I had a TIA; it was an anomaly certainly, but his report will pretty much rule out a 'mini-stroke'.

Good start to the day. :dance:

That is great news!

I got together with both guitarists in one of my bands and we fine tuned the arrangement of a few songs, then learned a few new ones for the next full band rehearsal.

I also put a battery tender on my parent's car so they can both use the heated seats as much as they want without worrying about draining the battery.

DS is here between semesters. Next semester is his last!

It is a snowy day and DS was tending the wood stove this morning. The temperature was about up to normal and the stove started pouring smoke out the air intake. DS freaked out. I had him close the damper down some and everything started working fine again. The outside humidity reads 86% while the inside is 12%. I think the chimney gets inverted when it is not completely warmed up and it is damp outside. All is well in the house and it is a good day to sit by the fire and enjoy a snowy day and conversation with DS.

I will need to go into town and pick up the plow truck today or tomorrow. I broke the front hub (again) the last time it snowed and it is being replaced today. I will need to plow tomorrow when it quits snowing.

Woke up to a little fresh snow, maybe an inch. The forecast called for more flurries and around 30°, we decided to go to the springs on a foggy and cloudy, grey morning. It was a challenge walking through 1" of slush in my flip flops to go in.

They installed new plumbing and had temperature issues yesterday. The springs were better today but not perfect. Most were either 110°+, or 94°.

We found one spring around 98°, with some warmth coming in from the source, and hung out. It was pretty neat, clouds all around us and warm steam coming off the springs. Pretty soon you couldn't see 20' in any direction, it was an odd feeling. Then a gentle snow started falling all around us. Very quite all around. A little while later and it lightens up above us, a large patch of blue sky! I can't see in any direction except up. Some days you get lucky. [emoji111]

Found a $150 charge on my credit card from last month that I did not recognize. It was at a local supermarket. I did not recall spending that much there and could find no receipt for it and my rewards card was not scanned at the same time. Totally suspicious. I drove to the store this AM and asked if they could pull a copy of the original receipt, which they did. Turns out if was for my shingles shot - duh. I'm glad I didn't call the credit card company. :facepalm:

Well, we are waiting for snow here, so today I ran errands, Walmart, etc. and had coffee with a couple of my good friends. I worked a little bit from home and made a nice dinner for us. Now we are just chilling. Maybe it will not snow after all?

We are waiting for snow too. It's supposed to start tomorrow afternoon, then a bit heavier Saturday night, tapering off Sunday morning. Anywhere from three to five inches total is forecast. Maybe I'll get to play with snowblowers. I'll ask DW to take pictures.

Went to spend the day at the ranch. Did some hiking and some work around the place. Wood stove was burning had some lunch there and headed home late afternoon.

It's been cold and windy for a couple of days, but it looks like the bulk of the snow is staying south of us tomorrow.

Today, DH and I went to play pickleball (inside) for a few hours. (Our play is improving -- the better players invite us to rotate in with them now). Then it was shower, reading, and some sewing before dinner. I'd like to have a quiet evening of reading in front of the fire, but DH is watching television. Maybe I'll find a movie we can watch instead.

Wellllllll...I will back up a bit.

At the end of Dec, I ran out of work. I am a contractor and the budgets were out so the writing was on the wall. No biggie. I failed at retirement and had gone back to work for 2 years. Not bad. It carried me over until 70.5 to max SS. :) I suppose I am really retired now. OK.

I bought a 44 year-old BMW motorcycle--then promptly racked-up my knee (sigh). We shall see what the new year brings.

We needed to replace our driveway (built in '71 and disintegrating). After checking into paving stones (my first choice!), in the end I had to settle for brushed cement ($$ not $$$$). It is in progress now. The pour should be Monday. It is kind of like skydiving: anxiety is maximum until you decide to do it today. It is a big bite, but DW has saved enough of my wages to pay cash. (Godzijdank!)

Friday our washing machine flooded the laundry room. The drain was blocked. Working on that now.

At the end of 6 weeks of a chest cold. Not as debilitating as flu, but what a drag.

One of my cousins is thinking about a RoadScholar trip to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia and asked my opinion (we lived in Azerbaijan for 4 years). I seriously don't think they can get into both Azerbaijan AND Armenia as they are in a shooting war with each other. Two of the three would work OK and we have connections with AZ and Georgia, if they want to do it on their own.

Got to get to the washing machine now.

Cheers,

Ed

Gym day, then home to make a big salad that should last for nearly a week.

The predicted snow started about 3:30 PM, still very light but it is supposed to accumulate at least a few inches, maybe as much as six, during tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Our plans are to stay home and veg out. Other people can go out and play "bumper cars". Owners of tow trucks and body shops are rubbing their hands with glee.

The predicted snow started about 3:30 PM, still very light but it is supposed to accumulate at least a few inches, maybe as much as six, during tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Our plans are to stay home and veg out.

Nothing like sitting around the fire on a snowy day eating a warm bowl of salad. :D

How do you make a salad that will last a week? :confused:

Fill one of these large Tupperware bowls with it. Then there's a ready-made meal when it is wanted. The bowl we have must be 35 years old by now.

Attachments

• tupperware_bowl.jpg
    tupperware_bowl.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 66
Wellllllll...I will back up a bit.

At the end of Dec, I ran out of work. I am a contractor and the budgets were out so the writing was on the wall. No biggie. I failed at retirement and had gone back to work for 2 years. Not bad. It carried me over until 70.5 to max SS. :) I suppose I am really retired now. OK.

I bought a 44 year-old BMW motorcycle--then promptly racked-up my knee (sigh). We shall see what the new year brings.

We needed to replace our driveway (built in '71 and disintegrating). After checking into paving stones (my first choice!), in the end I had to settle for brushed cement ($$ not $$$$). It is in progress now. The pour should be Monday. It is kind of like skydiving: anxiety is maximum until you decide to do it today. It is a big bite, but DW has saved enough of my wages to pay cash. (Godzijdank!)

Friday our washing machine flooded the laundry room. The drain was blocked. Working on that now.

At the end of 6 weeks of a chest cold. Not as debilitating as flu, but what a drag.
Hey Gypsy Ed. Just reading this wears me out. You put the “tire” in retirement. Hopefully this is a passing thing. :)

One of my cousins is thinking about a RoadScholar trip to Azerbaijan, Georgia and Armenia and asked my opinion (we lived in Azerbaijan for 4 years). I seriously don't think they can get into both Azerbaijan AND Armenia as they are in a shooting war with each other. Two of the three would work OK and we have connections with AZ and Georgia, if they want to do it on their own.

Got to get to the washing machine now.

Cheers,

Ed
I traveled between Peru and Ecuador every two weeks for the whole time they were at war. It’s a good option for people looking for unusual travel opportunities. If they’re lucky they’ll have lots of interesting stories to tell. :)

The predicted snow started about 3:30 PM, still very light but it is supposed to accumulate at least a few inches, maybe as much as six, during tonight, tomorrow, and tomorrow night. Our plans are to stay home and veg out. Other people can go out and play "bumper cars". Owners of tow trucks and body shops are rubbing their hands with glee.

We had a snow day yesterday. Did not go anywhere. I helped DH shovel a couple times. I also made snickerdoodle cookies. All told, we got about 6 inches of snow here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom