What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tough day today. Had to say goodbye to our cat who gave us great joy for the last 16 years.

We won't be getting another pet. Partly because we don't want to put ourselves through this again and partly because it might outlive us. DW thinks she might become a volunteer at a shelter, which would help scratch that itch.

Tough day today. Had to say goodbye to our cat who gave us great joy for the last 16 years.

We won't be getting another pet. Partly because we don't want to put ourselves through this again and partly because it might outlive us. DW thinks she might become a volunteer at a shelter, which would help scratch that itch.
I am so sorry to read this, braumeister. Losing a dear pet is so sad and mourning the loss of a pet can be more lengthy and heartbreaking than we sometimes expect.

It might be a good idea to not make any big pet related decisions until some time has passed. Even though another cat could never replace your cat, still it might bring some joy to your lives in its own, different way.

I don't know anything at all about volunteering at a shelter, but in my imagination there might be more actual work and less interacting with one's favorite animals than desired. But you and your DW probably know more about that than I do (nearly anyone would).

DW thinks she might become a volunteer at a shelter, which would help scratch that itch.

Friends of mine put down a sick dog a few years ago and the wife took a job at a shelter to "scratch that itch". Their plan was to be pet free for a few years so they could take a few trips. She ended up falling for a dog within a couple months and they adopted it.

FINALLY the results of my rebalancing (done in the morning of 1/1/2019) showed up in my Vanguard brokerage accounts this morning. Stupid me, I thought that would be faster, not slower, with brokerage accounts.

Oh well. I just feel like a fool for switching over to brokerage accounts. Vanguard led me to believe that if I didn't, they would do it anyway. I guess I was reading that into their wording and that really wasn't what they said. At any rate I haven't heard of anybody on the forum who was forcibly switched to brokerage accounts. :mad: I am the last person on earth who would need a brokerage account since all I have are mutual funds and I just strictly buy and hold (and rebalance).

It is rainy and yucky here today. We went to lunch earlier than usual, ran errands, and now I am back home. The rest of the day is mine, and I don't plan to do one single thing today that I don't want to do. I foresee some online shopping, or at least browsing Amazon, then some video gaming, and maybe a nap.

With the S&P heading down over 2% today, I did a bit more nibbling and bought some total USA Index and International Index so as to re-balance. I am still waiting for the -20%+ decline to make the big buying decisions.

This was after I returned from a local retail store where I purchased Christmas decorations for later this year at 70% off. With the market going down again today, I figure I may not willing or able to pay full price later this year.

Last edited:
DW is on her third day of intense headaches. She thought she had a migraine, but after taking her meds with no benefit, probably not so. She got into see her PCP, who thinks she has a sinus infection. She gave her an antibiotic, steroid, and something that doesn't work for pain. It does tear her stomach up very well though, so obviously it does something. She's one sick puppy. I feel really bad she's in such pain, obviously no opioids are needed.[emoji22]

It was below zero when we got up, cold all day. It was 5°f when I took DW to her doctor appointment. It was so cool to see this bird fishing. I hope it shows up, on the top of the pole, above the solar panel in the white cup. It's a kingfisher. I watched it dive into the lake and come up with zero fish. Had to be pretty cold diving in the lake. The lake is all frozen over except where there's a bubbler pumping air into the water. That bird has been there all day, what an amazing creature. 20190103_132811.jpeg

Last edited:
FINALLY the results of my rebalancing (done in the morning of 1/1/2019) showed up in my Vanguard brokerage accounts this morning.

Got my final withdrawals/rebalancing done and in the books today too. That’s reason for celebration!

Hopefully no further messing around with retirement accounts until the end of December 2019. I’ve had enough. Onward to more fun things!

Badly quoting a poem recently appearing on a podcast: the New Year lies ahead, like a large field covered by freshly-fallen snow without the trod of a single footprint.

It was just another day in the paper mines. But this morning I realized I have just passed 15 years of running my own business as of last month.

So, that's... something.. I guess.

Sure hope I don't end up doing it for 20 years.

I am so sorry for your loss. I know it is so hard to say goodbye. :(

Worked on call yesterday, orienting another new supervisor again!
Having lunch today with a former co-worker from 30 years ago--we caught up with each other a couple of years ago and now keep in touch.

Coffee and banter with the wife. Opened new HSA at Fidelity. Workout at the gym. Shopped for a swimsuit to no avail (heading to the Caribbean). Home Depot stop then made lunch. Made an appointment with the Mrs to do the nasty later today.

Got an email from American Express today:

We received your request to have a replacement Card sent to an address other than the one we have on file.

If you did not make this request, please call us at 1-888-800-5234

Yeah, that was NOT ME that called and asked for a replacement card to be sent to another address!

OK, I called them and stopped the thief. ;)

I wrote a check to the IRS for estimated tax for 2018. I'd like to say that was necessary thanks to earnings that far exceeded my expectations, but it wasn't .

While DW was walking the track at our local 'Wellness Centre' I walked up and down stairs there. Just started back into it, (still use the elliptical), and did 2,320 (upward) risers today.

Argentine Tango class and practica last night in the Burgh, actually starting to enjoy the dance. Means: I have acquired a modicum of skill.
Got home today, then went figure skating. Had to do "dodge kiddies" exercises as there were about 20 3foot or so tall mini people emulating brownian motion.

I connected the receiver, DVR, DVD, and record player plus speakers and subwoofer at GF's new rental. Then helped her make about a gallon of meatballs...some we're taking to a potluck tomorrow, and the remainder for the freezer.

This morning I filled out amended federal income tax returns for 2015, 2016, and 2017. We had not claimed the self-employed health insurance deduction for those years. Thanks to AARP tax training this year (the Yale practice return for those of you following along) I learned that we can/could have used that deduction. I was feeling kind of stupid for missing it, until I saw our 2015 return that was done by a paid preparer who also forgot it.

We should get about $1000 total refunded. Not bad for a few hours of paperwork.

Got the flu - so the usual account and portfolio reconciliations will have to wait.

Managed to remember that it's garbage day tomorrow and wheeled out the bins.

Other than that I'm in my recliner most of the time. Waiting for the sore throat to appear so that I can mend it with some cognac. :cool:

...Waiting for the sore throat to appear so that I can mend it with some cognac. :cool:

By that time, it is already late. :nonono:

Better take a couple of ounces for preventive medicine.

Woke up to fresh snow, still snowing. We're in the clouds and can't see much, absolutely love it.

Ran the snowblower once, not that much maybe 6". Supposed to snow till midnight. This takes my very unofficial back yard measurement to over 3' so far this season.

Walked the neighborhood and this time it was totally quite. Only two vehicles were out, one guy had his 3/4 ton 4x4 with chains on all 4! No idea where he's going but he should be able to get there.

Watched the refs trying to figure out what a touchdown is during the LAC game. Hopefully the Philly game is more exciting.

Since it's Epiphany and officially the end of the Christmas season (unless you are Orthodox in which case it's just beginning), after church I started taking down our decorations. I'm pretty minimalist except for my trees, but it still takes a while. First took down the outdoor tree with its lights and the decorations handing from the light fixtures as well as the wreath. Packed all that away and decided to break down all of the shipping boxes that had piled up in the corner of the garage as gifts arrived. They will go to the neighborhood elementary school tomorrow per their request.

Then took down the two tabletop decorations and nativity scene from the living room as well as the card table we used for jigsaw puzzling. Now I'm taking a break and will shortly go watch the Eagles game while taking down the trees (I have lots of ornaments so it may go into the evening).

Dinner will be a Thai-inspired coconut milk soup with cod. Trying to get our diets back to normal after lots of extra yummy holiday food.

Stocked up at Costco on Whole30 shopping list foods (okay, stuff we usually buy anyway, but absent the noncompliant items). DH is going to miss his grains and beans and dairy for a month but we’ll see if eating “clean” makes us feel better. Starts tomorrow for us.

Gym day, minor grocery run on the way home, read/write stuff here, renew the license registration for the pickup truck online.

For whatever reason they charge an extra dollar for online renewal, even though they don't have to pay for someone to open the envelope I would otherwise send, read all the documentation, handle the check for deposit, deal with the aftermath if the check were to bounce, and then finally put the new registration certificate in the mail and mail it to me. Well, they still have to do that last part anyway, but still it strikes me as silly.

Still, it's worth a buck to me to not have to gather all the paperwork, make a copy of the personal property tax receipt, bundle it all up and mail it with a check. Or worse, have to go to DMV in person.:hide:

Reactions: W2R
Help son in law with his car. His air duct cracked (after the air cleaner) and tape didn't hold at all. So today I tracked down the part and tonight we put it in after he got off work. No issues with the installation and it was good to help SIL out. He did after all marry my daughter so I try to keep him happy less she may have to come back to live with me :).

The interesting this was the part. Dealer wanted $119 for it. I found it online for about $75-$80 but shipping was over $10 and up to $20 which certainly cut into the deal not to mention the time to have it shipped. Then, I started something interesting - places coming up with the name of "gm oem parts" or something like that. But some had a dealership name that was familiar to me. Called one I knew was close and sure enough, they were the seller behind the online name. I asked if they would match the online price if I came in and they said they couldn't BUT I could order it online and pick it up. So I did that. Taxes and all out the door for $83 instead of $119 plus tax. Go figure. Oh well, work the system, get the part at a discount, install in about 10 minutes, SIL is happy and that ends up being a good day in the life of a retiree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom