What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Exactly our impression/opinion last time we were there.....prefer Malaga nowadays.

(First time in Barcelona was 1963.....it was waaay different then.)
We did not go to Malaga because it was out of the way, but suspect it may be like Catargena which we did visit. The latter was a nice and modern town, but had no distinct characteristics of its own.

And Barcelona in 1963, was it not just a fishing town then? :)

It's Monday on a rainy chilly yucky day. Didn't do a doggone thing. I love this retirement gig.

And Barcelona in 1963, was it not just a fishing town then? :)

Most of the, currently 'over-condoed', 'resorts' along the Costa del Sol had small fishing boats hauled up on the beach in those days......how the world can change in less than one lifetime.

I was joking about Barcelona. I saw that even 50 years ago it was already a large city with many tourists.

I did not visit the Costa del Sol, but stayed in a small coastal town further up the coast toward Murcia. We ate at a restaurant ran by a British couple, which was filled with Brits on a fish-and-chip night. We talked a long time with a couple who bought their 2nd home there 20 years ago, and saw many changes since then. Even so, this little town was still quite small and quiet, and a relaxing spot to enjoy the sea.

We ate at a restaurant ran by a British couple

I recall, in 1969, when I was in Torremolinos/Almeria for a few months, that there was a little place in Fuengirola, (run by a gentleman from India named Mr. Patel), that sold superb meat patties.

Well, about 1/3 of the Indian population has the name Patel.

We rode the metro to La Sagrada Familia. They have added quite a bit more to the church, but we did not buy tickets to go inside. Walked back to our hotel on La Rambla from there, observing the foot traffic getting heavier and heavier as we got back to touristy areas.

Saw that on residential streets, cafes offered an espresso plus a small croissant for as little as 1.60 euros. On La Rambla, they charged 25 euros for a large Sangria, made with wine they bought for probably 1 euro a liter.

Received a recorded 'confirmation' message from the hospital regarding an appointment that was never established in the first place. We had to call back to find out what they were talking about and where.

Have to show up tomorrow for (likely a Holter) heart monitor - this for the (supposed) TIA which no-one can confirm I even had in the first place.

I'll have to ask how my current recovering from sepsis (where I'm sleeping way more than usual and have little energy) will impact the results.

The kidney stone blasting (next week) and the prostate biopsy, (still to be rescheduled) are yet to come.

Starting to feel like the 'after' pic of Ozymandias.

A friend is sitting at the military base in Goose Bay, Labrador waiting for a replacement plane. His Norwegian Air flight had an engine failure over the Atlantic and had to come back for an emergency landing. We've been emailing back and forth about memories of Goose. He says everything appears to be right out of the 70s. Still, it was nice of Canada to allow them the use of the base instead of holding them on the broken plane.

You do mean the 1870s I presume? :LOL:

Nah. I'm an old NORAD troop so I like Canadian bases.

Hey, this is fine dining when you're hungry.
20190514_103156.jpg

A number of years back a buddy of mine went up to Goose Bay to visit his daughter & son-in-law (SIL was stationed there).......one afternoon buddy decides he'll help out and mow the lawn. SIL comes home and is displeased because he'd cut it horizontally instead of diagonally or vertically or somesuch. :LOL:

For the two or three days each summer when it's not snow-covered, I hardly think it would be a big deal. :D

Replaced mower deck belt at the camp. Cut grass, took nap, moseyed on home about an hour ago. Can't be ruching things.

Hey, this is fine dining when you're hungry.
View attachment 31506

Spent some time at some DEW line bases in the Aleutians.

BTW that NORAD bistro is not living.
These are the ingredients for fine dining and post dinner relaxation:
crats_small.jpg
MCI_Box_1971_01_small.jpg
c-rations_small.jpg

Rotated tires on the Civic, helped prep and help paint a some railing in the city park, went fishing late afternoon.

Finished pressure washing the walk down to the dock. I’ll wait till after the weekend to do the dock. Like Is99 said, “Can’t be ruching things”.

Woke up to a nice thunderstorm, went to sleep to the same thing. Had coffee, did stuff on the puter, helped DH pump the water off the pool cover. We got 2+ inches here last nigh and this morning.

Then I went to see POMS with my mom and sis, we all liked it - some laughs and some tears. I have a small roast, potatoes, and carrots cooking in the pressure cooker for dinner. I am doing WW and tomorrow is weigh in morning, so I am in the countdown. I will take a neighborhood walk after dinner.

I hope you all had a nice retiree day, we did here today.

Stayed up too late last night watching the Bruins win the Eastern Conference title and goofing around here... ended up oversleeping and had to rush to make a 10am dentist appointment. I had broke a piece off a tooth while I was in Florida and will have my crown done here... first appointment in late June and another in mid July.

Spent much of the afternoon going through some files... a local bank has a shred event tomorrow.. I have two grocery bags of paper to go to shredding.

Relaxing after a long trip, and trying to get back to the normal routine. I am slowly getting back to the DIY home project that I was working on before the trip.

Been in London this week so walking miles and miles, people watching and visiting museums. Oh and laid down on a couple of $120,000 mattress and boxspring sets at Harrod's just to feel like that was like!

Relaxing after a long trip, and trying to get back to the normal routine. I am slowly getting back to the DIY home project that I was working on before the trip.

I am taking a break from DIY projects and made a short trip to LA to look in on DW & attended DS's grad school graduation. The graduation was crazy - one that was the most informal I've attended. It was a 4 hour marathon held outdoors. Things got cold toward the end. 6 hours of driving to his school, 4 hours of graduation ceremony and I slept very well.

Listening to the storm passing through. Browned some ground beef for later use, likely spaghetti with baloney sauce...

Lounging/napping until about 4:00, then shower, then preparing a roasted asparagus dish for a dinner party/housewarming/wine drinking at 6:00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom