What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday played 3 hours of competitive Pickleball games. Very sore later on, so was lying on the couch in the lanai looking at the conservation while 78 degrees outside and thinking this retirement thing is glorious.

Up around 10am, coffee and breakfast, played with cat, then drove to rental house to look at a slow leaking pipe in the basement. Plumber will be out Monday.

Ate more turkey/dressing/leftovers.:)

Yesterday, I made and canned 6 pints of turkey stock. Today, I cleaned the gutters and raked leaves with my teenage helper, Davey. Both days, I ate leftovers. Snow is forecast for tomorrow, so I'm sure Ill get a little shoveling in.

The storm that hit the West Coast hard on Thanksgiving reached Northern Arizona on Thanksgiving night, and dumped a lot of rain in the low desert, and snow in the high country.

I made a day trip up to my high-country boondocks home to check it out. The last time I was there in September, when leaving I turned off the water mains as I always do, but was not sure that I switched the heatpump from cooling to heating mode. Also, I did not drain the plumbing because I expected to come back before it got cold. Draining the pipes took nothing more than opening a couple of exterior faucets installed at the lowest spot in the plumbing system, but I did not do it.

The highway had been plowed, and no road hazard there. But I could not drive right up to the house, because of 1 to 2 ft of snow, and my car started losing traction. So, I walked up the driveway, leaving footprints over the pristine snow.

Everything was in order. The heat was on, and it was a balmy 65F inside. Still, I turned on the water to check the plumbing, then turned it off and drained the plumbing this time.

I then walked down the road to pay a visit to my elderly neighbors, and to check on them. They knew not to venture out of the home, and were waiting for the snow to melt, as it usually does there. There were no tire tracks on the dead-end road to their home and a few more neighbors. Walking just a few hundred yards over that snow convinced me that I do not want to live in a place where snow sticks on the ground for a few months each year.

Five hours of driving plus a tank of gas, and I am now sure that my home is safe. I don't know how soon we can go back there, with my wife now taking care of my mother-in-law who is getting more and more feeble.

Last edited:
Not me...I'm just an 'innocent bystander' (who gets to partake of the goodies)...but DW has joined a Facebook Sourdough Bread clique...(some of them, and there are many of them involved in toto.....are pretty 'fanatical' about Sourdough).

DW is now quite intrigued with the whole process, (weighing, timing, manipulating, warming, etc, etc), and I reap the benefits.

Here's today's output:

Sat in a cool hard rain for 3+ hours at a college football game & enjoyed every minute.

Also, I did not drain the plumbing because I expected to come back before it got cold. Draining the pipes took nothing more than opening a couple of exterior faucets installed at the lowest spot in the plumbing system, but I did not do it.

Based on that, I did not think this part would have a happy ending.

Day 14 after total hip replacement:

Had a Doc appointment this morning to see how the surgery is doing. The nurse removed the incision bandage and applied another, for one more week, then I trash it. The incision is healed and this is just for safekeeping. I can shower without having to cover the bandage.

New X Rays of the hip show it where it's supposed to be and looking good. It matches the old implant of the other side! ;)

Doc says "keep doing what you are doing", which has been walking 2, 000 - 3,000 steps per day (for the last few days). I can use a cane or my walking stick rather than the walker.

I have another follow up appointment in 4 weeks.

Doc released me for driving, which is going to be a blessing since DW has had the task. No more white knuckles" for me!

My GF is fully moved in and we're still sorting and purging items, but it's mostly done. She's going through the dishes and cookware and I'm putting up shelving in the new storage area next to the new basement bathroom.

Good news aja!

I am dealing with day 5 of vertigo (BPPV). It is getting slowly better, but I feel like I am on a mildly rocking rowboat all the time. I am doing the Epley maneuver every day, helping some.
This is the third time I have had this, in the past it took a bout a week or so to go away.
It came on during a massage of all things, when I turned over from my back:(

aja, glad to hear that all is going well for you. Especially being able to drive again.

DW had physical therapy today for her aching back so I went with her to do my cardio workout (same building) I'd sat down for 5 minutes and she was done, then a minor grocery run and home.

Some minor sprinkles of rain on the way home but that's it. I keep seeing all these reports of horrid winter weather, but wherever it is, it isn't here.

Went to Costco to have my new "senior wireless earbuds" fitted. Determined to wear them a minimum of 10 hours a day for a month before I say yes or no to keeping them.

Went to Costco to have my new "senior wireless earbuds" fitted. Determined to wear them a minimum of 10 hours a day for a month before I say yes or no to keeping them.
Looking forward to your interim feedback on fit and functionality.

Aja great to hear.

Went down to the riverwalk for a couple miles, stopped for a nice cup of coffee when we were done. It was in the 40s and partly sunny, nice day.

Been playing phone tag with our CPA. He left a great detailed message unfortunately I heard all of 4 words.

It's been two weeks since my retina surgery. I'm still watching my eye bubble, its almost gone, but not quite. Probably hang on for a month, it's the last milestone in my recovery. After it's gone no altitude, weight restrictions, or positioning! I can't wait to sleep on my back again.

Good news aja!

I am dealing with day 5 of vertigo (BPPV). It is getting slowly better, but I feel like I am on a mildly rocking rowboat all the time. I am doing the Epley maneuver every day, helping some.
This is the third time I have had this, in the past it took a bout a week or so to go away.
It came on during a massage of all things, when I turned over from my back:(

Wow! Hope you come back to normal soon! I've never had to deal with that.

Aja great to hear.

Went down to the riverwalk for a couple miles, stopped for a nice cup of coffee when we were done. It was in the 40s and partly sunny, nice day.

Been playing phone tag with our CPA. He left a great detailed message unfortunately I heard all of 4 words.

It's been two weeks since my retina surgery. I'm still watching my eye bubble, its almost gone, but not quite. Probably hang on for a month, it's the last milestone in my recovery. After it's gone no altitude, weight restrictions, or positioning! I can't wait to sleep on my back again.

Great news on the eye recovery. :)

Funny about sleeping on your back. I have never been able to sleep on my back as I have been a side sleeper all my life. Now, due to side sleeping restrictions for the new hip, have been told to sleep on my back until things heal. So I have managed to do that in my recliner (for two weeks now) and can't wait to get back to side sleeping again!

Did the cyber monday and bought a couple hundred worth of food and toys. Getting close on selling last motorcycle. Did a little woodwork between rain events.

Soon it'll be time to drink booze and make blackened shrimp for supper - :)

I was under a winter storm warning today (never materialized), so I made a big batch of a master Christmas cookie dough of which part will be frozen and part refrigerated, hopefully to morph into beautiful baked cookies in the near future.

Today is gym day, so before going out to eat, we went to the gym.

I didn't sleep well last night and my sinuses are killing me, probably due to the 30 degree drop in temperatures overnight with howling, strong winds. Or maybe I have a cold and just think it's sinuses because I have a hard time telling the difference. Our (usually) warm weather down here means a lot to me. That statement sure sounds shallow! Honestly I am not like that. I am just so acclimated to hot weather, living here. Also I really do like changes in weather. Really, I do. But.... maybe not quite so much change in just one day.
6978-albums71-picture1763.gif

Anyway my workout at the gym was perhaps not the best, but at least I went. I wore long pants, the heaviest sweatshirt in existence, and super thick wool socks. It's still cold so I just turned the heat up another two degrees.

Anyway my workout at the gym was perhaps not the best, but at least I went.

I often tell myself that "the hardest part of the workout is getting there".

It would be sooo much easier to just sit back in the easy chair with a cup of hot tea with a teaspoon of honey in it....:angel:

Bow hunted for mule deer today. Logged 5 miles and 100 flights climbed and was a beautiful day to be in the outdoors.

I often tell myself that "the hardest part of the workout is getting there".

It would be sooo much easier to just sit back in the easy chair with a cup of hot tea with a teaspoon of honey in it....:angel:

That's for sure! Now that I am back at home, I need to get that cup of tea.... :LOL: I have my cozy trucker's blanket on my lap so I'm not really cold any more.

Had my first MRI, ever. Doc is checking out blood flow to one of my optic nerves. The MRI wasn't bad, but it is nerve wracking trying to stay absolutely still for minutes at a time. I was concerned that it would be claustrophobic, but they stick in earplugs and a cloth over the eyes, so I really felt like I was just lying on a table.

The MRI wasn't bad, but it is nerve wracking trying to stay absolutely still for minutes at a time. I was concerned that it would be claustrophobic, but they stick in earplugs and a cloth over the eyes, so I really felt like I was just lying on a table.

When I had the TIA scare in October last year the hospital in Spain gave me a 24 minute brain MRI......no cloth, no earplugs......very noisy.

Haven't you heard of the Ab-Lounger?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom