What did you do today? - 2020 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today we got take-out grilled chicken po'boys from a restaurant around the corner that has been making po'boys served on toasted fresh French bread, for over 50 years. Theirs are some of the best!

We didn't dare do this until today. Po'boys are well cooked but the lettuce and tomato in them isn't cooked. However Louisiana's numbers have been pretty good lately so we are getting braver. After two months of stay-at-home, this was worth the (very slight) risk.

We have an 80% chance of severe thunderstorms this afternoon, but we are staying home as always so that shouldn't be a problem. My laundry just finished so once I put it away, I'll while away the afternoon playing Animal Crossing, New Horizons, my new favorite video game (on battery power if necessary!). :D

Dropped off the old dehumidifier and some used motor oil at the recycling place, then on to a grocery run. It's worse than normal now, more crowded than usual at that time of day (10:30 AM). I'll make it a point to go earlier than that in the future. I saw no sign of meat shortages, and even scored the next-to-last package of Charmin! The paper products isle is still pretty bare though.

The dentist's office called at 9:07 returning DW's call, and she was in there by 10:00 and came out with a new temporary crown. It seems the dental office has to contact the insurance co. first to get approval before the permanent one can be placed, and I thought they had to be ordered anyway. Maybe not anymore? But she has no pain and is getting set up for a permanent fix which is all that matters now.

Watched the Air Force flyover of local communities.

Two huge aircraft (Tankers maybe?) flew low over my neighborhood making a wonderful roar in the process.

Finally got the snow tires/summer tires switched.

Went for two good walks.

Then....we both agreed that sequestration is becoming a PITA and that we want to GO somewhere........and that, Heaven forfend, if we were stuck inside with someone we really didn't care to be with, (as I suspect numerous people 'out there' are), we'd be freakin' nuts by now.

Changed the oil and filter in the van and planted a flowering bush in the front yard. Walked the dog a few times in between all that.

[...]
Then....we both agreed that sequestration is becoming a PITA and that we want to GO somewhere........and that, Heaven forfend, if we were stuck inside with someone we really didn't care to be with, (as I suspect numerous people 'out there' are), we'd be freakin' nuts by now.

Frank and I feel the same way! We don't yearn to travel, but we just want to drive around aimlessly, go window shopping, go to the gym (once it re-opens), or whatever we want. We feel almost like prison inmates.

We are lucky that we live next door to each other. We are here for each other when one of us needs some support or encouragement (usually me :2funny: ), and then when we need to be alone we do that.

Still, following your line of thought, I think even numerous people who are stuck inside with someone they DO deeply care about and want to be with, are going freakin' nuts by now simply because this is such an awful, stressful situation and because nobody really seems to know if or when life is going to get back to normal. Our lives are on the line with each decision and yet so little is known (yet).

This was a banner day for us. DW came out of her depression with a combination of her inner strength, my support and some light medication.
She put in her makeup and earrings, and drove us to the only local Spudnut store. She had not had one of their donuts since she was a little girl.
Well, a dozen doughnuts in a box later, she was a happy camper. It was the first time since 1 March that she has been in a store.
We also scouted out a parking lot behind a closed mall where she will have a lunch with her girl friends, with physical separation next week.

I made fish tacos for the first time. Marinated tilapia on the charcoal hibachi on a fried corn tortilla with shredded lettuce and a hatch chili sauce topping.

On the forever list now, wifey loved them as much or more than I did.

Still, following your line of thought, I think even numerous people who are stuck inside with someone they DO deeply care about and want to be with, are going freakin' nuts by now simply because this is such an awful, stressful situation and because nobody really seems to know if or when life is going to get back to normal. Our lives are on the line with each decision and yet so little is known (yet).

I have accepted that my life will not return to my old normal for a very long time . We will start eating out but much less than we used too and only at places we trust . We will not travel for at least nine months and when the gym opens I will be armed with lysol wipes .

Reactions: W2R
Robbie,
I love fish tacos, but I've never attempted to make them. You are motivating me to try making them.
Did you make the hatch sauce?
There is a breakfast restaurant near me that applies a heated hatch sauce over several of their meals, and it is great.
Take care, JP
I made fish tacos for the first time. Marinated tilapia on the charcoal hibachi on a fried corn tortilla with shredded lettuce and a hatch chili sauce topping.

On the forever list now, wifey loved them as much or more than I did.

I changed one of the front tires on my recumbent trike before going for a short test ride. It was worn down to the fabric and fortunately I had a spare. Then I moved about 25 concrete blocks to encircle a fig tree in the back yard. Watered the 8 cherry tomato plants. Now my wrist is complaining and wanting me to medicate. Ordered 3 more nice quality bamboo cloth masks that have a place for a filter. That should last me for quite a while once I start going out to places other than the grocery store (and blueberry picking in a couple of weeks). Now it's time for a shower and some time to settle in with a book to read.

Cheers!

Robbie,
I love fish tacos, but I've never attempted to make them. You are motivating me to try making them.
Did you make the hatch sauce?
Take care, JP

I gave the fillets a dusting of dry spice (PP's Seafood Magic) a couple hours before grilling. For the sauce I used some Hatch sauce in a jar from the grocery and mixed with a little mayo and added some of the seafood magic spice. The sauce was creamy and added the perfect heat as well as picking up the spice on the fish. The shredded lettuce kept it all in place along side the fillet.

Watched the Air Force flyover of local communities.

Two huge aircraft (Tankers maybe?) flew low over my neighborhood making a wonderful roar in the process.

I found out they were two C17 Globemasters. While not as impressive as the Thunderbirds or Blue Angels, they flew low and are very BIG.

Happy Mother's Day?

It's 11:30am. Everyone is asleep except me (I'm mom). Up at the crack of dawn and made lemon loaf, apple strudel, and the 2 focaccias (rosemary & basil) is finishing the final proofing. Already grocery shopped and getting around to my 2nd cup of coffee. I know they want curry ramen & salad to finish the lunch menu. Think I'll tell the college kid to make it

Last edited:
new temporary crown. It seems the dental office has to contact the insurance co. first to get approval before the permanent one can be placed, and I thought they had to be ordered anyway. Maybe not anymore? But she has no pain and is getting set up for a permanent fix which is all that matters now.
My dentist just makes it while I wait with a 3D printer. No temporary needed

Picked up Chinese take out for lunch. First time in more than eight weeks we've eaten a meal we didn't cook at home.

We got take-out, too. Inspired by your post, I just got out my records and counted: It turns out that we have had take-out or delivery 23 times in the eight and a half weeks since we started sheltering in place, from three different restaurants. :blush:

That's a little embarrassing but on the bright side, it looks like our favorite little restaurant may survive this. When we got our take-out today, there were SIX other cars there picking up take-out. Usually there's none, or maybe one.

We got the same steaming hot shrimp pasta alfredo I have mentioned before, made with lots of fresh, huge Louisiana shrimp and enough Cajun spices to bring tears to your eyes (which is our preference). Yum. :)

I put a new battery in my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. It's 4 years old but still is a fine phone. Had to unglue the back cover and disassemble half the phone. But all is good now! :cool:

DW's kids came over for Mother's Day and now we are having pizza!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom